Search Unity

Games A Struggle To Survive - A 2D Survival Game In Development

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by _Eyesgood_, Sep 6, 2020.

1. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

Hello Everyone,

I would like to post here with information regarding my game project titled A Struggle To Survive. It is a 2D survival game that focuses more on real-life survival techniques, crafting, building and essentially thriving in a random generated world. I will have a main story line, but there will be extensive tools to create custom worlds. I have been working on it about 9 months now and finally want to start letting people know what I am doing. I blog every week or two about the project, sharing what I am learning as I build this game using UNITY.

Dev Blog: https://astruggletosurvivedevblog.blogspot.com
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2KPW_a0cmazj2OzyOBPM1w/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Eyesgood_

Thanks,
    Eyesgood
    MainMenuUpdated.png
    MapGeneratorMainTab.png
    WorldPreviewer.png
    FirstActionsAndProductsOfCrafting.png

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    VadimKrakhmal likes this.
  2. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

3. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

4. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

5. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

6. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

7. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

8. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

Jellee and GGfazo like this.
  9. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

Due to the overwhelming popularity of the Survive And Thrive moniker, I have decided to rename my game to A Struggle To Survive. The blog can now be accessed here:

https://astruggletosurvivedevblog.blogspot.com

Please update your links if you are following along.

Jellee likes this.
  10. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

Jellee likes this.
  11. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

Just a note to say the project is alive and well. I don't have any blog updates at this time, but I am working on seasonal tree sprites and the inventory system. Here's to progress!

12. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

13. gato0429

gato0429

Hello Eyesgood,

I have been reading your post, and your progress and your criteria when optimizing the code flow is very interesting, I would like to ask your advice, I want to make a game like age empire, factorium (RTS), but after reviewing and testing with it unity tilemap system, leaves much to be desired when working with tiles above 64x 64, and if we add trees, plants for the setting using tiles, everything becomes very heavy. Based on your experience, how do you think it might work with a large tile map. You think it would be okay to use your same chunk loading approach for an RTS style game.

Thanks.

14. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_

gato0429,

I don't have any experience making those kinds of games. At this point in my game, using ScriptableObjects, I am able to generate 25x25 tile map chunks multiplied by 9 chunks (5625 tiles) along with all the flora (trees, etc.) on those tiles in about .02 to .06 seconds per chunk. Chunk Unloading is handled by a coroutine in the background. I have generated test tilemaps as large as 4000x4000 (16 million tiles) and have rendered them in a single tilemap "world view" without much trouble. The initial generation of the perlin-based map takes a long time, but once each chunk has been saved to disk, the chunk engine seems to be handling the loading and offloading of the chunks blazingly fast when in the game. I tested that size because my game actually uses about 9 tilemaps, with each terrain type having its own tilemap in a layered approach. This layering even includes underground worlds several layers deep. In short, I don't think your bottleneck will be the tilemap if you can rely on ScriptableObjects to store your tile metadata and references to your tilemap sprites.

Hope this helps.

15. gato0429

gato0429

Thank you so much,
    For your comments, I will start with my chunks manager, for field management, it is good to always have the opinion of someone else XD, success in your development, hopefully I will be on the right track. Maybe I will post like yours, to share XD advances, Thanks for the inspiration.

I hope you can continue with your development, and we can see the game finished.

Thanks

_Eyesgood_ likes this.
  16. _Eyesgood_

_Eyesgood_