Search Unity

Survival game in a city or a forest???

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by varun3, Jul 25, 2015.

1. varun3

varun3

I am making a game with unity Professional with my friends.
    It'll be a multiplayer survival game but the problem is that we can't decide whether it should be in a small city with elements like dayz or in a forest with crafting elements?
    The enemies will be aliens who will be extremely difficult to defeat alone and will require teamwork.
    So what should we do?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

Why not both? :D

tedthebug likes this.
  3. tedthebug

tedthebug

Both, either small town near a forest & farmland or in a big city with skyscrapers etc & a massive wild park like Central Park becomes in all those post apocalyptic movies/books where the zoo animals become wild & inhabit the park with packs of dogs etc

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Flip a coin. Don't do both. That's called scope creep and will prevent you from ever releasing.

You can always add the other later. But build one first and get it working before focusing on the other.

5. tedthebug

tedthebug

But scope creep is an integral part of game development :D

theANMATOR2b, Tomnnn and Kiwasi like this.
  6. varun3

varun3

U know for a first 'big' project. We may do both. How about aliens in city and monsters in forest as separate games??? Also aliens with guns can vaporise the player in one shot while the other aliens will be animals mutated by aliens who will have high health and u can't one hit kill them.

7. tedthebug

tedthebug

Use their base as the hub? Left for forest, right for city sort of thing

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Scope creep is an intergral part of any project. A good project manager is one that can say no. You can't increase scope without a corresponding increase in cost and time. Classic triple constraint stuff.

9. varun3

varun3

I will tell what are the intended features then accordingly give your opinions.
    Multiplayer
    Survival-hunger thirst
    Enemies - Aliens who are extremely tough to kill. Many types of.
    Weapons- Modern weapons using the energy used by alien weapons only can be found as loot.
    Random events such as alien convoys, raids and defend.
    Also to ensure that some players don't kill others with their OP weapons ammo will be rare and no looting bodies and if a player repeatedly kills others he will be marked on the minimap and bounty will be set on his head.
    Environment-???????
    Thanks for your time

10. varun3

varun3

We've decided to initially make a survival game with alien in a small town with a forest around it. Food will have to be cooked from items found in the forest.

11. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I hate to be that guy, but just a fair warning: survival games have become so over whelmingly over done at this point that most people cringe when they hear about another one. It's right up there with rogue-likes and zombies.

Martin_H and Ryiah like this.
  12. varun3

varun3

I know most are in early access but we want to make a game without a campaign cuz we don't have a good story until now and that's why we thought a survival game will be good for now.

13. varun3

varun3

And to be honest i am alone and between an fps multiplayer where u teleport to random location occasionally, a game in which you create a kingdom in medieval setting by completing quests for NPCs, earning gold and killing monsters then go online to fight other players and a survival game with overpowered aliens and weapons, I chose survival. I think it may be a wrong decision.

14. Martin_H

Martin_H

I have less of a problem with being that guy ^^...
    As a fan of open world survival games: your idea does a) not sound like you have thought everything through well enough b) not sound like anything remotely doable for an inexperienced small team let alone a single person. I know it hurts, but I think you have to work on something smaller without multiplayer (or only split screen multiplayer) first. Maybe do a simple singleplayer 2D topdown turn based roguelike survival game in a city and choose an existing game with similar mechanics but different theme that you can take notes from. Even that is a gigantic project that should not be the first game you make. Think smaller, and then even smaller and start something you can finish.

That said starting out by claiming you are a team of guys using unity pro to give a false sense of professionalism when in fact (as I understand your post) you are alone and likely using unity free edition, was a terrible idea on many levels.

theANMATOR2b and Kiwasi like this.
  15. varun3

varun3

Sorry I know it was wrong but thanks for your help. But even if I am alone I am experienced with unity and not to mention the tutorials available. I may start a 3d game and one by one create the desired features separately then put them together and I will start with the 2nd option because swords and arrows and the building will be much simpler. Thanks!!!
    P.S I have made about 2d games with unity based on existing games.

16. varun3

varun3

17. varun3

varun3

I may be alone but using the unity asset store , some JS and a lot of time I may produce half of the features I want.

18. Martin_H

Martin_H

I have read the first 12 posts and I'm still not sure if you mean this as an example of "sure, I can do this alone" or "look, this guy who wanted to make a game alone in 2012 still hasn't finished it and now even the website in his signature no longer exists.".

Why not C#? I am under the impression it is vastly easier to find tutorials and assets written in C#.

19. varun3

varun3

What I mean that if anybody dedicated himself into making a game can make a game l. Of course it will take time and may not have every thing expected but there's no harm in trying. There may be some things a person won't be able to understand or do but he will gradually learn. I don't expect it to be perfect but something is better than nothing.

20. varun3

varun3

I will try to finish my design doc or something like that this week. I'll share it with you Martin.
    And I've coded with JS but I also know c++ and as far as I know c++ is similar to c# so I can learn that. And these messages are better suited for the conversation section Martin.

21. Martin_H

Martin_H

Sorry, but I am neither qualified nor willing to review gamedesign documents. I'm a beginner just like you, also trying to achieve something on my own. I'm just sharing some obvious thoughts here in hope it will be useful for you and others who might be in similar situations. If you want to try how far you can get, just go for it! I was just trying to save you some disappointment in the case of you not being able to achieve your goal. Looks to me like you are biting off a little more than you can chew, but hey, that is just my opinion. I'm not trying to give you 1 on 1 tutoring, and I disagree on this being better suited for a private conversation. If what I say has any educational value I want it to be available publicly and if it doesn't I want to have it contested publicly, since that is the point of a forum imho.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  22. varun3

varun3

I haven't started biting yet. I started this thread to simply suggest an environment but I got way more and an original idea in the process. Anyways I will start working on it from tommorow cause I am in India where it is night now and I will still share my project with you cause you have given me valuable advice.
    Cheers