Search Unity

~ Survey ~ rpg / mmorpg, why you wanna do your own one?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex Cruba, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Reading the forums one theme arrive here again and again like a runin gag: How to do my own rpg / mmorpg. The question now for me is: Everyone who started that question is welcome. Please answer this way if possible:

1) What rpg / mmorpg you know best: Please tell 1-3

2) What rpg / mmorpg you play: Please tell 1-3

3) What is the best part, feature, system, idea in the rpg / mmorpg you know: Please tell 3-5

4) What is the worsest part, feature, system, idea in the rpg / mmorpg you know: Please tell 3-5

5) If you quit a rpg / mmorpg you played, what was the reason?

6) Why you wanna do your own rpg / mmorpg?

2. janpec

janpec

Ok i am gonna keep it simple.
    1. Kalonline
    2. none anymore
    3. The biggest most important part of MMO for me is that it has decent player base. MMOs with 500 player cap or something similar for me never work. I dont mind if server is laggy as hell as long as if there are lots of people on.
    Another important thing is Chat. Yes chat, i mean mmos that are comming out today has so poorly designed chat UIs, you somethimes cant even see a freaking S*** what you are writting. A chat where you press enter to type, and enter to release writting thats efficient chat. Most chats are used to click on chat field before chating....useless.
    4.Cant remember anything actually.
    5. It is very old MMO and player base has beegin to drop. Nothing fancy for starters so there are only lvl70+ people playing. For beginner it is almost impossible to play. Same thing happnes to all old MMOs, the key is to bring new players back.
    6. I dont, i am not one of those who are posting this threads i just want to answer your questions:D

3. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Thank you for this 1st post. I think the lvl range thing is one of the biggest problems.

4. Pelajesh

Pelajesh

Runescape and Dark Eden

Currently none

3) What is the best part, feature, system, idea in the rpg / mmorpg you know: Please tell 3-5
    It has to be interesting, even if you have played it for a really long time.

It became boring. (I often start playing again at some point, then quit again)

It would be cool, but since its way too much work for me to handle I don't

5. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

1) What rpg / mmorpg you know best:
    World of Warcraft.

2) What rpg / mmorpg you play:
    Currently none...I quit WoW like 6 months ago.

3)What is the best part, feature, system, idea in the rpg / mmorpg you know:
    Content...not loads of content,but a really good quality content that makes me play more.And the game shouldn't consist only of end-game content...A mmo should allow any player of any level to experience instances,PVP...leveling shouldn't be a rush to the max level.

4)If you quit a rpg / mmorpg you played, what was the reason?
    Boring,the community and the loss ,,of epicness".

5)What is the worsest part, feature, system, idea in the rpg / mmorpg you know:
    I would say the LFD tool in WoW...I don't really have time to explain it,because I'm in a hurry,or send me a PM and I'll respond to you later.

6)Why you wanna do your own rpg / mmorpg?
    First It's cool,I have lots of ideas that ,,i think" would make a decent MMO,but considering the time and amount of work put into a MMO,it's not gonna happen.

6. Gundark

Gundark

1) Morrowind, Kingdom Hearts

2) Xenoblade chronicles

3) In RPGs, the first important thing is visuals and gameplay ( the way you perceive the world ). Basicaly, it's like a women. Generaly, I'm attracted in beautifull ones, but surprises are possible. After that comes the story and music.

4) I usually don't play MMO, but i quit several rpgs for boringness.

5) Lack of feeling that anything you do matters. And, horrible action animations.

6) It is most suitable to express yourself as an artist, the most rewarding, the hardest and gives you the most pleasure in creating it ( in the begining ).

7. MaliceA4Thought

MaliceA4Thought

1) Meridian 59 (yes still play it) and Everquest the First when it was still hard. WoW for a few months.

2) Meridian 59

3) Meridian 59 for PvP and EQ1 and EQ2 I loved for crafting and later on because it was an easy way to spend an hour or so to do something.

4) Enforced grouping for the best stuff

5) Quit EQ the first because it became to easy. Quit WoW because of the other kiddie players.

6) Because everyone says it can't be done :)

Regards

Graham

8. TwiiK

TwiiK

Plenty of time while I'm waiting for my lightmap to bake. :p

1) What rpg / mmorpg you know best:
    - My favorite rpgs are Diablo 2, Asheron's Call and Ultima 7.

- Only my own at the moment. Hopefully Diablo 3 soon. :)

- The random item generator in Diablo 2
    - The no class system in Asheron's Call
    - The amazingly detailed and interactive world in Ultima 7
    - The spectacular looking and designed multiplayer map of Dungeon Siege 1
    - The PvP system in Asheron's Call

4) What is the worsest part, feature, system, idea in the rpg / mmorpg you know: Please tell 3-5
    - Bind on pickup items
    - Lvl requirement on items
    - Class systems with no variation
    - Care bear PvP
    - Instanced dungeons

- Played them so much I got bored of them or they sucked

- Because making games is fun, it's my hobby

9. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

TwiiK! A man after my own heart. I miss my Mattekar Robe. There definitely needs to be more classless sandbox MMORPG's. Also, Utraean Peninsula was great.

10. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Asheron's Call, Asheron's Call 2, Diablo 2, Everquest, WoW... I've seen the level cap of many.

Currently playing Deux Ex: Human Revolution. Awesome game. Not currently in to any MMORPG's.

-Instancing
    -the holy trinity (tank/heal/dps)
    -vertical expansion (lets release another expansion where everything is the same but the numbers are bigger!)

Well the community on Asheron's Call dwindled and the graphics are just too hard too look at anymore, and AC2 got outright canceled, which was a shame. Everything else, I get bored with the things I hate, mentioned above.

I don't, currently.

11. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

First of all it's nice some ppl do that survey with me. As most of you quit playing cos of being bored after a time (week or year) or cos of the cummunity.

I think levels, levelcaps and also instances are features of yesterday.

Now I hopw more ppl do my survey... :cool:

12. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

1) Super MArio RPG (yeah, that's right)

2) Super Mario RPG

3) It's challenging, but not overladen with features (also it's oldschool)

4) The fighting system, but that was the best they could do when it was made. Also the graphics, but once again, the best when it was made.

5) I got bored of it.

6) I don't. Like janpec, I like answering questions.

13. iindigo

iindigo

World of Warcraft, Fable series

World of Warcraft

• Character morphs in Fable are pretty great, making your character feel less like a clone/vector for gameplay and more like a person.
    • Phasing in World of Warcraft. Blizzard's implementation isn't perfect, but it can do a lot for immersiveness if done correctly.
    • Any parts in either game that do something to adapt to a player or his choices rather than everything being strictly stuck to a single track.

4) What is the worst part, feature, system, idea in the rpg / mmorpg you know: Please tell 3-5
    • Looking for Dungeon in World of Warcraft. It dissolves any possibility of a server community and take a lot of the soul out of the game.
    • Cross-sever battlegrounds in World of Warcraft for the same reason as the previous point.
    • The trivialization of leveling content and top-heavy focus on endgame in World of Warcraft.

N/A

Simply put, I feel that there is a metric ton of ideas and possibilities that no current MMOs even begin to touch upon. There's so much that could be done to create a fantastic world that's so immersive it's near impossible to not get lost in it.

Will I ever be able to create an MMO? Probably not. An RPG is a possibility, but even that's going to be difficult without fellow developers and a budget to back it all up.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  14. 2Dsprite.com

2Dsprite.com

There's also features i want to try out, such as permadeath and attempts at making it enjoyable for the casual gamer, or the hardcore gamer. Either way, it is interesting to me to actually try to make this "nightmare feature" which developers fear the most, actually work in some way or form. At the least, I will find out if it's even fun or not given a good design, and if not then the total scrapping of the idea forever (game design with permadeath to see if it's fun is almost an entire research project in itself).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  15. taumel

taumel

This is a survey you could write pages about, no time/motivation to do so, so just some, maybe random, thoughts...

1) More than just three but i think i got influenced a lot by Ultima, The Bard's Tale, the Dungeon Master series and Rogue.

2) Torchlight hopefully soon Torchlight 2, Desktop Dungeons, i also gave the latest Bioware productions a try but i didn't like them and stopped playing pretty soon.

3) In a traditional sense i would say, exploring a interesting alternative world, meeting non stereotypical characters whom you really care about, experiencing a great adult like stories/quests (mostly never happens, all pen&paper rpgs i took part beat computer games), having some fun with a certain variety of weapons/monsters/spells/scenarios/whatever, leveling up and enjoying new powers, experiencing something unexpected. From a technical side i was impressed by Dungeon Siege's streaming engine.

4) The mixture of magic and science in Wizardry, when they take themselves too serious, … every aspect can get pretty annoying, if it's too buggy, too flat, too stereotypical, too bad to steer, too...

5) Too flat and boring on aspects i do care about (see above), too much micromanagement with too many characters, disgusting gfx style like for instance Wizardry or everything Bethesda Softworks produces.

6) MMORPG = no way, singleplayer RPG = you either have to come up with a different idea/implementation of a rpg or you need quite some resources to do it properly which i don't have, so i prefer playing them.

7) I'm waiting for Garriot to get serious again and try to get the Ultima licence back and stop fooling around with his current casual plus core gamer online concepts otherwise he might best return to space. I want another The Bard's Tale, i simply love those magic mouths and the last game was hilarious. I'm still waiting for a great sf rpg to happen. Braben, please make a new ELITE happen! And i'm open to something completely different as well as long as it makes click inside my head.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  16. Alex Cruba

Alex Cruba

Cos of no time/motivation I wanna say ty for answering taumel!