Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Survey] Is there a market for an independent cross-application data exchange service for videogames

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StephanSchueritz, Nov 25, 2015.

1. StephanSchueritz

StephanSchueritz

Hello everyone,

my name is Stephan, I am a Games Programming Bachelor Student at the SAE Institute in Berlin and currently writing my honours thesis. In my thesis I want to check the relevance of a cross-application data exchange service for videogames.

I think the best way to get information and first responses for my studies is to talk to you. You have experience in creating videogames and your market. I’m a game developer too and have created some games of different genres during my studies in the past two years. You can find examples of my work following the link below.

I have created a short survey that takes around 10 minutes of your time and will contain 25 questions. So if you are interested in a solution to make communication between your games more easy, feel free to read more on the front page of the survey which I have created for you:
    http://dev.stephan-schueritz.de/postboxapi/survey/

Best regards,
    Stephan

2. Teo

Teo

I've completed the survey and voted "NO", because I see no point for this kind of service. But again, this vote only reflect what I need today. Who knows in the future.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

These services already exist. So by definition there is a market for them.

Edit: You should also make the demographic data at the end of the survey optional. Privacy laws and stuff.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I really do not understand the problem you are trying to solve. First up, there are already a wealth of communication channels available between apps. Secondly, where there's overhead in managing those channels (eg: where a user account or online storage might be necessary) there are also a bunch of existing service providers handling exactly that.

You also talk about "Exchanging data between different applications, without technical borders". The exchange of data is only one small part of the problem, and it's a relatively easy part to solve. The other, much larger part is what you're going to do with it when it gets there.

Also, the survey really shouldn't assume that we only use one system. That's unlikely to be true of many experienced developers.

Kiwasi likes this.