Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Survey and Discussion - Built-in Mesh and Greyboxing Tools (ProBuilder)

Discussion in 'World Building' started by gabrielw_unity, Sep 7, 2022.

1. bugfinders

bugfinders

their words it doesnt handle it. so if you make a 500x500 unit scene (not really bit but big enough) and go to carve say a path through it, like i tried here, it messes up so, while it looks like i just havent coloured the top right darker green grass, thats not the case, in fact half the edges of the path dont line up with the plane, and if you try moving them it just gets messier and messier, it hasnt connected propbably at the plane edges either, then if you mark like an ordenance survey map so you can make a hill... it turns into something you put in a mulcher, holes and bits wont join together, random edges stuck out not obviously connected to things. However, probuilder due to working slightly differently, does work.

umodeler isnt free (although there is a cut down lite one which is I think), theres a hub free, but umodeler X isnt free, and the current live one is in the $30 bundle, so now is a great time to get it, between them you can do a lot of modelling inside unity so all those annoying differences dont bite you as you try and work.
    upload_2023-10-21_13-6-52.png

2. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

Sooo, uhhm, I guess the real improvement here was the friends we made along the way, lol. Any updates? I assume the latest changes in Unity Technologies have put a halt to a lot of inside projects.

3. bugfinders

bugfinders

Ok. So probuilder has improved a lot. But so has umodeler now version x

there are things i like about each.

and as its 00:40 and i gotta be at work by 7am. Im going to cut it down to

probuilder awesome for big things like zones, big items with less detail (imho)

umodler aweome at making smaller props with details

if you find padas on twitch he makes whole zones in probuilder. And well we had like many hundred in some of his zones during a play test of the game hes working on so its really not bad.

switching between the two is a bit of an art form. But if it saves me from blender or maya. Im fine with that

4. bugfinders

bugfinders

Oh and probuilder is easier to un screw up. Where as umodler goes a bit picasso

its not probuilder cant do details. But umodler does it better. x even allows you to assign bones...... should you be capable of making another other than deformed balloon type things.

5. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

Buuut nothing new, right?

The boolean operation seems to be stable now, but it's still marked as experimental and by itself, the boolean operation is pretty lackluster.

6. yosefstudios

yosefstudios

Oh absolutely, selecting edges and vertices in selection mode is a nightmare.

7. bugfinders

bugfinders

yeah i had a bug in to fix that and it seems better now :)
    I changed my lines to be 2 wide, and dont have an issue :)

what i did have an issue was for example, merge faces, and then while it was one face, there was still an edge line in the middle you could do things with - but its one face it should be one piece now.. and i couldnt seem to remove it.. similar issue with verticies, surely you should be able to merge 2 edges to make 1 or delete a vertex to straighten the line or such but noooooo

8. bugfinders

bugfinders

Um, probuidler has been about years... and it is fairly quick and easy - as for all the "we" who are you, thats your first post ..