Search Unity

Surforge 1.4.5 - 3D rendered PBR texturing in Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Sergeyv_3d, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Bagazi

Bagazi

So Great!

I am wondering whether there is no need to get help from any other ddc tools any more ,for instance, normalmap baking?

2. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Thank you :)

Well, it depends on your task.
    For simple objects, level elements, architecture, you are ready to go without baking, Surforge normals and AO will be enough.
    For complex detailed models and characters, there is no better way invented to transfer details from high poly to low poly then baking. Also it is good performance wise.

The question is not "bake or not to bake", but how comfortable is to do it.
    It is not that hard to bake, when your high poly mesh is driven by your low poly mesh, and automatically matches any low poly mesh changes.

3. Bagazi

Bagazi

Yeah,what I concern about is the combination of performance and visual effect(good looking..).Within my knowledge,a model in a 3A game for instance,which actually exist in the game is the low-poly one,and details was kinda brought from its high-poly model.Usuallly(within my kownledge),a high presice model was created firsrt and then topo into a low-poly one (which is actually used in the game),the detail would be transfered into a texture. But with surforge and the new modeler tool asset,I am wandering if this work flow would be changed. I mean If I could directly create a low-poly model(that would be directly used as model asset),all of the details could be added directly ,including normal map,eventually exported as textures?:D

4. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Yes, that's exactly how it is.
    The idea is to get rid of time consuming retopology step where possible, and work directly with in-game model.

Bagazi likes this.
  5. ShockWave2048

ShockWave2048

Cool news!
    What are the approximate release dates for this software?

6. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

I'm not ready to announce the release date yet. Please treat with understanding, it depends on various factors.
    I plan to prepare a detailed roadmap soon, where you could track the progress of modeler asset development, together with Surforge development.

There are 4 main areas of work: Modeler, UV editor, Surforge integration, and visual macro editor.
    Let me tell you more detail about each.

As for modeler, all research tasks done, and production is in full swing. But what makes the modeler a good one, for me it has always been usability. Our goal is to provide a powerful tool, easy to learn and use. So the user interface should be polished as possible first.
    This is the first main goal, will be released first, and make follow-up features possible.

The good UV editor is a huge task itself. At the release of early version of modeler, you will get the ability to make UVs by defining UV seams with the following ABF++ unwrap and box pack UV islands. This is quite ready to go with, fast, and easy pipeline for simple models, but of course we need full feature UV editor next. Our goals here convenient symmetry support, the ability to automatically exact stack similar UVs if needed, and the ability to pack UV islands, keeping such stacks pinned together.

Next huge task is to modify Surforge to store details per-object, and the ability to "tie" Surforge details to UV islands, for it could be moved together with UVs, when using UV editor and UV packer.

When we made the base of the modeler, it turned out that it has a performance margin sufficient to run driven "slave" mesh, which is realtime updated when you change "master" mesh. It is like modifier stack in other software, or in particular subdivision surface workflow, or post-process bevel workflow. Here we have added a promising opportunity to run modeler API methods over the polygon groups of main mesh, so that changes are automatically updated on "slave" mesh.
    At the modeler release, there will be ability to write such macros with c# first, and assign it to poly groups with modeler GUI. Later, the visual editor for such macros is in plans.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Aaron2348, ShockWave2048 and Bagazi like this.
  7. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

A quick question: will Surforge at some point in the future also have support for URP and HDRP? #curious

8. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Yes, render pipelines support is in the plans.

9. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

10. bthanse

bthanse

I was trying a mesh, but it looks like a big part of it is missing in Surforge ?

11. bthanse

bthanse

Is there a way to resize so I can acsess more of it? Looks like something stops me from moving.

12. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Hello,

You can't see part of the model, because your model asset consists of several meshes. In the video you dragged to Surforge one of that meshes. Surforge is designed for work with one mesh at a time.
    You could combine all meshes into one in your 3d editor. Or you could create separate texture for each mesh, and apply several materials to result model.

The UV layout of model is out of 0 - 1 texture space quad. You should edit UV layout of model in your 3d editor in the way for all UV islands fit texture space. This is common approach for any texturing software, not only Surforge.
    I could also see your model has repeating details, like most architectural models. The handy approach here, is to design your UV layout such way, that UVs of repeated model details exact stacked one over another. This way you could use texture space more effectively, and also avoid doing repeating texture work for similar areas.
    You could edit your UVs in Blender, which is free and has powerful UV tools.

bthanse likes this.
  13. bthanse

bthanse

I can see if I can import it in uModeler and fix it, or Blender that I not use so much.

14. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Excellent!

UModeler likes this.
  15. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Great news!
    Surforge 1.4.4 update is ready and live.
    ChangeLog

Unity 2021.3 supported.
    Added 30 new clockwork themed Add Detail tool mesh assets:
    surforge_clockwork_details.jpg

You can use these details to create vintage machinery themed designs (aka "steampunk").
    Hope you like it :)
    surforge_clockwork_example.jpg

rayBLAST-R, fordtimelord, DYV and 6 others like this.
  16. bvonline

bvonline

I got Surforge yesterday and I have read that it would work on an Intel 620 UHD (I5 processor, 8GB). I started a 3D Project (I assumed that this is the called "built-in"), and started Surforge inside Unity. Currently, when I try to create something, I have massive lags (graphics and when computing). The standard cube, when rotating is stuttering, and when I click some operations, I get a window which calculates (waiting symbol). Is that normal? Because I am currently unable to do something with surforge. Can you tell me something about the case, if a 620 UHD on-board graphics card is used? I think the GPU power might be a general problem in my case... any chance to get this work?

17. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

There could be little lags at the start, due to how Unity Asset Database works, while all assets are loading.
    Preview window could be little slow at the first half a minute minute of work. But then everything should be fine.

I am specifically developing Surforge on my 2014 year PC for to be sure performance not an issue.
    Could you please try to use it for 1 mitute and confirm that the issue continues?
    Surforge well optimized to run fine on modern systems, however, it is GPU based, so powerful GPU is desirable. But your one 620 UHD on-board shoud be fine. Even if you got little bit laggy Texture preview, it should not prevent you from working.
    Couldn't you just give it a one more try. Please contact me if issue continues.

18. Bagazi

Bagazi

Is the shown model made by the newest surforge?:D

19. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Yes, the the image with gears made with Surforge, with Add Detail tool (and Unity native move tool for fine positioning), using new details.
    For the new models itself, i made them with our upcoming modeling asset mostly, with a little help of Blender.

Bagazi likes this.
  20. Bagazi

Bagazi

And the upcoming modeling asset was intergrated in the surforge asset?Or it is a indenpendent one?

21. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Separate asset for 3d modeling, with strong tools.
    Could be used separately, as well as Surforge. But when installed together, complement each other.
    Here is some more detailed info about it.

noise_source and Bagazi like this.
  22. bvonline

bvonline

Thank you very much for your fast answer ;).

I will be able to test it today or tomorrow. But one thing came in my mind: is it possible that, to run Surforge, OpenGL should be installed?

My laptop (HP Pavilion x360) doesn't have that natively installed, I am currently trying to get in contact with HP to ask how and if it is able to activate it - could crash my whole system. They were not planning gaming features for these laptop series. That is why I am working only with URP, while some other game engines and 3D Modeling tools and texturing Tools are not working.

I whish you a beautiful weekend!

23. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

No, you don't need to install anything special.
    If Unity runs on your system, Surforge should work.

24. Bagazi

Bagazi

Is there any news for surforge?:D

25. bvonline

bvonline

I wrote you a mail because of my laptop issues.

26. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Replied your email.

Working on future improvements. Also good progress on upcoming modeler asset.

Bagazi likes this.
  27. ShockWave2048

ShockWave2048

Hi Sergeyv_3d! Is beta-alpha access possible to modeler asset?

28. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Hello,
    I am afraid modeler is not in alpha stage yet. Much more needs to be done.
    We are working hard to finish it as soon as possible.

29. knas01

knas01

Now this looks really cool, but imagine a shader that could animate those gears. That would be fantastic.

30. Bagazi

Bagazi

Is there any news recently?:)

31. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

I did some research in direction of Standalone Surforge. Lightweight, fast starting, less dependent on Unity updates. Surforge, powerfull modeler, and UV tools all in one. Sounds pretty attractive.

But unlike assets, which benefits greatly from Unity Editor, it require first: viewport, scene management, manipulators, undo, and saving. It turned out it is not that difficult to do.

Let me show you some progress, hope you like it :)
    surforge_standalone.PNG

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  32. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

If you are using Unity to build the application.

I was working on a prototype project (now deprecated) that was a standalone tool for asset management, mesh combining, and mesh debugging. I solved a lot of problems such as import/export, file browsing, and texture packing. I left the project's scenes in a messy state but you can pick through the code and check out the dependencies as I used a number of really useful community solutions and got them working with Unity's UI. I had planned to add material ID texturing similar to Surforge or Quixel but never finished the UI, however, the code is there for flood fill and exporting textures, etc. I link to a number of useful repos for creating standalone software.

I doubt ill ever touch the project again. Even though it is under GPLv3 consider this post permission to copy my homework. https://github.com/TolinSimpson/Kitbashery There should be a stable build you could check out for inspiration.

If you have any questions DM me here or on the asset store developer Discord, some shaders/code have since been optimized/refactored... I should probably spend an evening dumping/updating a bunch of useful stuff on GitHub under MIT.

Might save some time reinventing the wheel.

33. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Thank you! A lot of useful links there. The HSV Picker by Judah4 looks very promising.

For now I have completed main standalone related tasks, and working on UI.
    I really like the possibilities UI Toolkit opens up, although it turned out to be quite time consuming.
    Just finished the Hierarchy panel, with folding, renaming and dragging. It was huge work, but I like the end result.
    hierarcy_standalone.PNG

34. Bagazi

Bagazi

Is new surforge on the way?:D

35. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Yes, work is going well.
    The further, the more I like the freedom that standalone offers.
    For example, possibility to assign keys, hardcoded in Unity Editor. Like focus with "f" hotkey not only objects, but also selected faces.

Bagazi likes this.
  36. LLRobPet

LLRobPet

Suforge 1.4.4, Unity 2021.3
    I need help with the Poly Lasso tool Scale-keys.
    I simply can't scale a polyLassoObject, no key is working for this. ( [ , ] or Left-, Right arrow or what ever)
    In the moment the only way is to use the Unity scale, which is a pain because the lasso object must be moved every time to wanted position again, it's more a trial and error.
    I don't know if this is a problem related to German keyboard or what I'm possible doing wrong here.
    Any hint about?

37. bthanse

bthanse

What is the difference between specular and metallic workflow ?

38. ParadoxSolutions

ParadoxSolutions

bthanse likes this.
  39. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

As far as i know, there should be no issues according to German keyboard.
    There are several ways to control Poly Lasso scale.
    The slider at the top of Poly Lasso tool panel sets the scale of next created Poly Lasso objects, the same way as "brush size" in image editors.
    The behaviour of "[" and "]" keys depends on Poly Lasso tool currently active or not.
    If Poly Lasso tool is active, "[" and "]" keys controls the mentioned slider.
    If Poly Lasso tool is not active, "[" and "]" keys control the scale of already created Poly Lasso objects currently selected in Unity Scene View.
    The step, on which scale is changed is rather fine, so you need to press hotkey several times, or hold the key if you want to make big changes.

You could also change the Offset of Poly Lasso object. You could use "Shift + [", "Shift + ]" with Poly Lasso tool turned off, and Poly Lasso objects selected in Scene View.
    While the first option "Scale" is profile scale (the thickness of edge), the "Offset" changes the shape, offsetting it inwards or outwards.

Please let me know it works for you.
    The main difference between Metallic and Specular workflows:
    In Specular workflow, you have separate colors to control Albedo and Reflected color. So you could have material with different color at glancing angles.
    In Metallic workflow, the Albedo color controls the color of the specular reflection, as well as Albedo color.
    The result material is simplier, but your texture is less in weight.

bthanse likes this.
  40. Bagazi

Bagazi

What is the major difference or benefits when comparing Surforge to another DDC Tool like substance painter ,except that surforge is just working within unity. Is the lossy tool?:)

41. bthanse

bthanse

Or you can use them as prefabs.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
    Sergeyv_3d and knas01 like this.
  42. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Great news!
    Surforge 1.4.5 update is ready and live.
    ChangeLog

Unity 2022.1 supported.
    Added 10 mesh based volumetric shuffleable peeling paint prefabs for Add Detail tool:
    surforge_peelingPaint.jpg

43. Bagazi

Bagazi

Is this all made by Surforge?

44. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Clockwork parts are assets for Add Detail Tool from Surforge, modeled with our upcoming modeler mostly.

Surforge material composer enables fine-tuning material parameters in realtime with instant feedback.
    Surforge ships with rich library of texture details, and handy toolset.
    Surforge details are meshes, so resolution independent, lightweight, have clear volume.
    It also provides full control over texture details positioning, scaling and tweaking.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    Quique-Martinez and Bagazi like this.
  45. knas01

knas01

Hi, I tried to make some seamless planks, but it's horrible misaligned. The manual says that you should turn off and on seamless mode, but that doesn't work. What can I do?
    {F65D25E0-E896-4E66-ADC5-4C4E9D75F7EC}.png

46. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Hello,
    According to screenshot, it looks original details somehow moved in x direction, while seamless clones not.
    Could you please try to delete the boards and recreate it once more.
    Just tested the similar scene, works fine.
    seamlessTest.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  47. knas01

knas01

@Sergeyv_3d I tried again deleting the objects, but I got the same result. Then I thought I just delete the whole setup from the scene and re-add it again. That fixed it.

I think I once tried to move the background or something but it would not let me. So I thought nothing more about it but maybe it messed up something. That's all I can think of.

48. noise_source

noise_source

Hello, thank you for improving the way materials are imported. It’s so much easier to add new materials now. Do you think it would be possible to recognize folders for user materials and have them put in folders in surforge?

Another question :) Is it possible to use an alpha map for transparency in surforge? I have perforated metals that I need to be able to see through.

Thanks for all of your hard work and I’m really looking forward to the standalone version.

49. Sergeyv_3d

Sergeyv_3d

Hello,
    You could add new folders in "Surforge/SurforgeMaterials/", and put your exported Surforge materials there. Save project and restart Unity, and new foldouts will appear in Surforge materials tab.

Yes, it is possible to use an alpha map for transparency.
    Set "Paint 1 Intensity" to 1.
    Set the needed alpha texture to "Paint 1 Mask".
    At the bottom of Surforge material properties there is "Transparency" set of controls. Set "Paint 1 Transparency" to 1.

noise_source and hopeful like this.
  50. noise_source

noise_source

Perfect! Thank you! I’m having an absolute blast, thanks so much for this software.