Search Unity

Surface Sampler Tests

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by guategeek_legacy, Aug 9, 2006.

1. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

After about 3 weeks of work (mostly UV mapping) I have finally gotten my model and normal map into Unity. Not perfect but man is it awesome to add that much detail with just a normal map :p (Game mesh is about 4.5K polys normal map baked from 150k poly mesh)

Xela Lander Normal Map Test

Now to move on to texturing (right now I have a greyscale of the normal map as the texture [thus why there are some seems])

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Looks great Jeff. There's something about that scene that almost looks stereoscopic, the ship really pops off the screen as you rotate it. Maybe it's the starfield behind it or the strong lighting, but it really has some "weight" to it.

Are you using Maya 7 to do the normal mapping or something else like ZBrush?

Can't wait to see the final textures.

3. Garen

Garen

Great work! Can't wait to see it textured. I'm doing the same thing right now.

Do you mean that after you create a texture the seams won't be as visible? That would be great because I was a little worried about the seams on my model.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Impressive! I do have a fondness for organic-type ships anyway....

(BTW, on your web site, in the projects page, "full time manor" should be "full time manner." Though I'd like to live in a manor full time too. :) )

--Eric

5. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Thanks for the encuragement guys. I use Maya 7 for the normal map. The ship was box modeled and then the high detail was also box modeled out of that (I haven't learned Nerbs or SubD's yet). I then used surface sampler to bake the normal map from the high res model to the low. As fas as the seems,

I copied the normal map and made it greyscale and used that for the texture map temporarly. Even though the normal map is seemless when you convert it to greyscale it is not. So I'm hopping that when I texture it I can get rid of the obvious seems.

Thanks for the spelling help Eric. I have always been terible at spelling, the joys of speaking two languages is usualy you can't spell in ether.

6. Danni

Danni

Interesting.

Waiting to see it textured. Paint a really cool texture and add a specmap and you got some really cool stuff!

Dan