Search Unity

Surface Pro 4, disappearing cursor in editor

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by marshmatter, Dec 27, 2015.

1. marshmatter

marshmatter

Unity 5.3.0f4
    Windows 10, 64-bit

Often when opening the Unity Editor the windows cursor will be "underneath" the Unity windows (e.g. I can see see it above the task bar with normal behaviour).

I can usually fix it by opening an empty project and then switching back to my working project, which makes me wonder if something in my working project right now could be causing the cursor problems.

This only affects Unity on my Surface Pro 4. My main Windows 10 workstation at home doesn't have any issues with the same project, which might suggest problems with touch or pen support.

Thanks for any ideas!

M

Teejay5 likes this.
  2. ObliviousOstrich

ObliviousOstrich

did you find a solution to this? I'm experiencing the same issue on a surface pro 4. Currently haven't been able to determine a way to reproduce this but it definitely seems to be down to the editor (almost-bare project, doesn't coincide with running the game). It's as if the application becomes stuck in touch-screen mode where the cursor is there but not rendered anywhere in the window.

3. marshmatter

marshmatter

Nope.

It turns out I can just open the same project again. I've been version locked on my current project for awhile though, so I haven't tried more recent Unity releases to see if it was magically fixed.

4. ObliviousOstrich

ObliviousOstrich

Ok, thanks for the reply. Happened again to me just now, having launched the project, then opened scripts in VS before minimizing unity. I'm going to try keeping the unity editor maximized in the background and see if this prevents it. Will post back if i find anything. (Though it's really only a slight inconvenience anyway).

Nope. Relaunched just after posting this, switched focus to another window for a few seconds, returned to find no cursor. Losing focus seems to be the only constant right now.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  5. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

Hey,

currently we don't have a fix for this problem as we're not able to reproduce this locally, it seems like a driver issue of some kind, additionally you could submit a bug with repro project attached, maybe it's indeed something project related.

Check if there are available Windows Updates.

The only known workaround is hooking an USB mouse to the the Surface Pro 4

6. ObliviousOstrich

ObliviousOstrich

Thanks for the mouse suggestion, and I've posted a bug report if this may help resolve this in the future. I'm however happy to live with this minor issue given its infrequency thus far.

(Windows 10 & drivers are all up to date.)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

This happens to me with a USB mouse also. The only thing that works for me (when it happens) is to close Unity and reopen it. To be more exact, the pointer doesn't go behind the Unity window - it is turned off when the cursor is over the window, so it just appears to go behind it.

8. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

We were finally able to reproduce it on our end and we'll try to roll out a workaround for this issue.

Basically for some reason on Surface Pro 4, internal cursor display count has invalid value (more info here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648396(v=vs.85).aspx), not sure why it's happening, but we'll reset its value before Editor window initializes, it should force cursor to be visible.

Teejay5 likes this.
  9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Excellent news, Thanks Tomas!