Search Unity

SupportsChildTracks for Custom Tracks

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by AndrewKaninchen, Sep 10, 2018.

1. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Please, I really want it. Been waiting since last year.

Is it at least in the roadmap hidden somewhere?

2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes it is. Likely 19.1 or 19.2.

AndrewKaninchen likes this.
  3. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Thank you <3

4. Ace_Wu

Ace_Wu

Any news?

5. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Track Layers on custom tracks (i.e. SupportChildTracks) has landed and will be in 2019.3.

6. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Finally got some time to actually try this in 2019.3, and looking at the AnimationTrack again was enough to get the hang of it. Only problem I had with it now was the fact that the MenuEntryAttribute (which is used to create entries in a Track's contextual menu) is marked internal. Is there a particular reason for this? I'd really like to use it in a similar fashion to the AnimationTrack's "Create Override Clip".

I know this is not exactly related to this topic's original question, but it seemed close enough, given it was a direct extension of my train of thought into using childtracks/Track Layers.

EDIT: Actually, TrackAction itself is internal. Makes more sense, I guess. Kind of changes the question again to: are there plans for when it should be available?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  7. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Exposing actions is on the plan, but I don't know when it will be available.

8. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Thanks for the quick response. Would be nice to have it for consistency with what's already there, but I can definitely live without it for now.

9. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Practicing a bit of necromancy here, but

I was toying around thinking about some things and got myself in this mindspace again, and, to my confusion, SupportsChildTracks is... internal, again? Am I remembering it wrong or was it never marked public? By my comments here it sure seems as they were once, as I'd probably not figure out about MenuEntryAttribute ou TrackAction without navigating through the code after having used SupportsChildTracks already.

Was the feature dropped in favor of ILayerable or something like that? Cause from what I understood of how that works, it is much more limited and wouldn't work for what I'm trying to do.

swingingtom likes this.
  10. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

ILayerable is public version of 'SupportsChildTracks', meant for cases where a track may have more layers for the same binding, or need the ability to overlap clips. SupportChildTracks was never public, iirc. Internally SupportChildTracks is now only used for GroupTracks and may get refactored out completely at some point.

Also, Actions are also now available with 1.4 (which is compatible with 2019.3/4 versions of Unity), but documentation is still pending.

11. AndrewKaninchen

AndrewKaninchen

Are there no plans for allowing regular "bindable" tracks to be child tracks of others? I've been wanting to have something like the Group Track, but with bindings and a way to allow only for specific types of tracks to be created inside it.

Which got me thinking (or maybe it's the other way around, don't remember) that GameObject tracks would be very nice to have, in which you could add child gameobject and components as subtracks of it, using pretty much the same UI as Group Tracks currently use. I think that's how UE4's Sequencer works, but I've never actually used it, so I might be wrong. Anyway, it would be a very good streamlining feature, in my mind, and Animation already does something very similar, so it's not like it would be something Unity users would find weird in any way, I believe.

Anyway, back to my actual problem, I've been looking through the code and found that it wouldn't be impossible to change the Group Track code to do something along the lines of what I want. Problem is, since everything seems to be internal, there is close to no feasible way I could do it as an extension of the package.

swingingtom likes this.
  12. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

It's not explicitly on the plans, although we have been trying to chip away at exposing internal only functionality. The ability to custom group tracks, propagate bindings, and have better control of which tracks are allowed to be child tracks are all requests we've heard one way or another, so it may happen. Of course, bringing it up on the forums always helps!

swingingtom and AndrewKaninchen like this.