Search Unity

Supporting Google Play Target API 26 requirement by Unity

Discussion in 'Android' started by Yury-Habets, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Last year Google announced that starting from August 2018 all new apps and games submitted to
    the Google Play Store will require a target API level of 26 or above (Android 8.0 Oreo). From November 2018 this will also apply to updates to existing apps. With this post, we want to make sure every Unity user can meet these requirements, have their app approved by Google Play and make the way to success!

First of all, please make sure to not mix up targetSdkVersion and minSdkVersion: https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/uses-sdk-element#target. Changing targetSdk value doesn't change the amount of devices your app is compatible with.

To be compatible with Google Play, please follow these steps on Unity side:
    • We always recommend you to use the latest Unity version currently available.
    • If you can't upgrade to a latest major Unity version for some reasons, please make sure to update to the latest patch release available in your release cycle.
    • Open Player Settings, under Other Settings find the Target API Level dropdown list and set it to "Android 8.0 Oreo (API level 26)" or later. You can also set it to "Automatic (highest installed)" if you are sure you have Platform SDK 26 or higher installed in your Android SDK.
    • Build, test thoroughly and release to Google Play!
    There are even more details in this document provided by Google. We'll also publish a post on troubleshooting most common issues soon.

Sincerely yours>
    Unity Mobile Team

rob_ice and esteban16108 like this.
  2. keninger

keninger

Thank you for the guide. If I have apps already uploaded that target lower api, would they be still available for download after November?

3. Nadan

Nadan

Is there some info on Google Play Console I could check what currently is the targetin API level for each of my app?

This way I could check what apps I need to update.

4. keninger

keninger

You should have gotten an email to your dev account's address, listed the affected apps.

5. Nadan

Nadan

I did and it has some apps mentioned but the email ends:

"Please check the Play Console for a full list".

But I can't find any list. :/

6. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Sounds more like a question to Google, but if I understand the terms correctly, your apps won't be removed/unlisted. However any updates to existing apps or new apps should update the targetSdk.

keninger likes this.
  7. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Thank you for the info! Can we get a workaround for the round icon? Since we are "forced" to target api 26, the round icon is a must. However, If we are using 2017 LTS we can't grab the round icon without a workaround. Upgrade the project to 2018 can be really tricky

8. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Take a look at these posts https://forum.unity.com/threads/and...rcle-but-not-all-of-them.501592/#post-3382592 and https://forum.unity.com/threads/android-oreo-icon-is-incorrect-on-unity-5-5-0p4.492300/#post-3391190

Suduckgames likes this.
  9. rob_ice

rob_ice

Made the mistake of updating the minimum API version once before, never again! Thanks for the tips

10. FrenchToastFella

FrenchToastFella

So, just to be clear on this, we need to set TARGET API LEVEL to 26, not the MINIMUM API LEVEL?

rob_ice likes this.
  11. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Yes.

rob_ice likes this.
  12. Crichton333

Crichton333

API level 26 or above.

13. gheeler

gheeler

14. Crichton333

Crichton333

15. gheeler

gheeler

I realised I had my own manifest file in android plugins that had 24 hard coded :confused:

16. JDeyby

JDeyby

Player Setting
    - Minium API Level >>> Android 7.0
    - Target API Level >>> Automatic

Reset you computer