Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Supporting all possible currency symbols in a font. Possible?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Sparticus, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Sparticus

Sparticus

Hello,

I have created a game that has a store where users can purchase in-game items using real money. I pull the prices and currency symbols for these in-app items directly from google/apple (where I configured them).

The currency symbol that the user uses (ie. $, €, ¥) will not always be supported by the font I am using. I have done a ton of reading regarding this subject, and it appears the solution is some sort of "Font Fallback" system (I am using TextMesh Pro).

I have 2 issues I hope someone can help me with.

First issue, when I sent my game to a friend (he has an iphone), this is what he saw for the currency symbol.
    upload_2022-11-20_16-45-37.png

I understand the square means the font symbol was not found.... but I'm confused as the symbol was a regular dollar sign ($). On my windows computer, I see the dollar sign appear. Does that not mean the font supports the dollar sign? Why would I see it, but not him?
    upload_2022-11-20_16-47-54.png

Issue #2: Let's say I get the fall back system working. It appears I need to select a font (or more than 1 font) that supports the other currency symbols. But, as far as I can tell, I can't see to find 1 font that supports everything. People seemed to say to use Roboto, which covers many of them.... but not all. It's weird because I downloaded the Roboto font, tossed it into my game, converted it to a font asset, yet pasting a € symbol displays a square symbol instead. Clearly I am missing something.

This must be an issue that every single game out there has to deal with as I'm sure most game are distributed to players around the world.

Thanks for any advice or help you can give!

Ryan