Search Unity

Support of Armenian, Thai & Georgian characters in iOS 13

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by _Paulius, Sep 27, 2019.

1. _Paulius

_Paulius

Mobile Developer Unity Technologies

The default font Unity was using to render Armenian, Georgian and Thai languages was removed in iOS 13. Apple currently provides other fonts for these languages (for instance "Thonburi" for Thai), however Unity's font rendering system (both for uGUI and TextMeshPro) does not properly render diacritical symbols for these fonts. Currently Unity only correctly renders fonts which allow referencing the combined mark instead of the base character and the diacritical mark separately.

We have plans to support diacritical marks from system fonts in TextMeshPro in the future. However currently this means that if you wish to support any in the mentioned languages you'll have to provide your own fonts (basically all custom fonts which are correctly rendered in the Editor should also work on iOS).

You can view the current status of this in our issue tracker, here https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1182806/

sama-van and Mauri like this.
  2. sama-van

sama-van

Not a full year spent waiting for it yet but is there any news about it?
    My game support thai and unfortunately the thai still appears "??????" by default on iOS.... (android draws it well).

3. YoungMustBeRight

YoungMustBeRight

I notice that this issue is marked as "won't fix", so, is that it?

sama-van likes this.
  4. falkenbrew

falkenbrew

I would be interested to know this too

5. akhror_unity

akhror_unity

6. Yiming075

Yiming075

Unity default font cannot support Thai on iOS, incredible!