Search Unity

Support for the new tvOS Siri Remote

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by aresundnes, Jun 28, 2021.

1. aresundnes

aresundnes

Hi!
    It seems like the new Siri Remote 2nd Gen does not work properly with Unity. The physical D-pad buttons do not register at all, while the touch surface works normally like the older controller. Does anyone know how to make this work? I assume some implementation is needed by Unity, but maybe it could be bypassed with a native plugin?

I'm using Unity 2020.3.11f1

2. Stijn2097

Stijn2097

I am also interested in this. Also using Unity 2020.3.11f1.

Particularly interested in these questions:
    - When is Unity expected to support the New Siri Remote?
    - Will it be supported in Unity2020 in an LTS update?
    - Will Unity be able to detect the difference between the old and the new remote? (detect the model)
    - Will Unity be able to detect the new directional inputs (D-pad buttons) next to the touch area?

aresundnes likes this.
  3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Who knows. The new input system doesn’t even support the old Siri remote and there haven’t been any significant updates to it in over a year.

The old input manager does support the old Siri remote, but the only changes Unity does to it is introduce bugs.

aresundnes likes this.
  4. aresundnes

aresundnes

Stijn2097 likes this.
  5. dayjur

dayjur

My stuff works on Apple TV 4k using the new 2nd gen siri remote, but on the store there is a warning sign that 1st gen Siri remote need for App even though you can download and works fine with new 2nd gen remote Apple 4v 4k ( touchpad / backbutton) dont know about dpad clicking

6. s0phist

s0phist

I'm interested in this too - anyone have luck getting dpad readings another way? Or with a newer unity version?

7. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

Hi guys! Recently we've released a complete solution to support Apple TV Remote in Unity. The asset wraps native GCMicroGamepad and passes its input to Unity. It supports both Apple TV Remote 1st and 2nd generations. It works with Input System Package (New) and with Input Manager (Old). Comparing to the default implementation there are the following highlights:
    • Clickpad (left, right, up, down buttons on the D-Pad ring) in the 2nd generation is suported
    • There are no issues with messing Left Stick and D-Pad in Input System Package (New)
    • Menu Button is processed properly in Input Manager (Old)
    The asset can be bought here https://assetstore.unity.com/packag...input-support-for-apple-tv-siri-remote-208423

8. dayjur

dayjur

Will using this package support both apple tv 1st gen remote and apple 4k 2nd gen remote and remove the message 'this app requires 1st gen remote' after publishing and detecting of dpad clicks will only fire if using 2nd gen remote and wont intefere with using 1st gen remote

9. FIFTYTWO

FIFTYTWO

Do you mean the package we released recently? Yes, it removes the message from the app store, it sets Info.plist in Xcode project properly. By the way, we made a demo version, feel free to try if it fits your needs before buy. There is 10 minutes restriction in the demo. https://github.com/C0DEF52/AppleGamepadsDemo/releases