Search Unity

Question Support for multiplayer games on LAN

Discussion in 'Netcode for GameObjects' started by marcos4503, Nov 4, 2021.

1. marcos4503

marcos4503

I'm doing some research to determine which Framework would be the best for my use case in my project. I intend to create a multiplayer game that will be played on a local network, that is, on cell phones connected to the same router at home. I could do this easily with the obsolete UNET but UNET should be removed soon, so I had to look for alternatives!

I'm a new developer in the world of Multiplayer development and saw that MLAPI was the alternative to UNET and then MLAPI joined Unity and was renamed to Netcode For GameObjects.

As I'm just studying the existing alternatives, I haven't effectively tested "Netcode for GameObjects" yet, so the question...

- Does "Netcode for GameObjects" support the creation of multiplayer games over LAN?
    - Are there any restrictions?

I've already consulted the Netcode for Gameobjects documentation and done a lot of research, but this is still not clear to me.

The game will only work on LAN and should work even if there is no Internet connection. It will be possible to play as long as 2 or more devices are connected to the same router.

I appreciate any help!

2. luke-unity

luke-unity

Netcode for GameObjects supports the creation of LAN multiplayer games even if there is no internet connection.

3. marcos4503

marcos4503

Great! I will definitely use Network for GameObjects! Many thanks for the reply! :)