Search Unity

Feedback Support for custom packages via Plastic SCM

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Xarbrough, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

We're big fans of the Plastic SCM version control system at my company and we use it for all of our projects. We found it more suitable for game development than Git or Mercurial in our cases (performance, stability, repository size). We're also very happy using the Unity Package Manager for internal tools that we host ourselves. As far as I know, only Git is supported for these custom packages.

Is there any chance Unity will add support for Plastic SCM repositories? Or some extension mechanism so the community can add it?

We are currently hosting our tools on GitHub to bring them into projects via the Unity Package Manager, but we would prefer moving most of those repositories back to Plastic SCM.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  2. samuelb_unity

samuelb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Xarbrough,

Just to clarify, git is supported as a URL format for adding dependencies directly from a git repository but a custom package can be developed in any version control system. If you develop packages in a Plastic SCM repository, you could publish your packages to a private package registry and add them as dependencies using the published version number:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.3/Documentation/Manual/upm-scoped.html

If you were asking about support for adding dependencies directly from a Plastic SCM repo e.g. with a
    plastic+https:<plastic-cloud-url>
    URL, this is not currently on our roadmap. This might be re-evaluated as the demand for Plastic SCM integration grows.

Xarbrough likes this.
  3. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

@Xarbrough
    Do you know about Plastic's GitServer?
    If you self-host your Plastic, it might help in your case. You can have your packages in Plastic, and consume the package from a git repository provided by the GitServer.

Xarbrough likes this.
  4. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

That sounds pretty useful! Too bad we’re on Plastic Cloud at the moment, but maybe that will become an option in the future.

5. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

My company still believes that Plastic is vastly superior to Git or Collab. And since Unity bought PlasticSCM, I'm hoping that this means they agree that it's the right version control for the future. So, how are the chances that the package manager will eventually support plastic's protocol?

Or, maybe this would be more easily solved if Plastic Cloud would offer a git protocol endpoint for the package manager to use. Both companies announced they were working closely together now, so this seems very possible.

6. trooper

trooper

I'm trying to do this now and coming across an error due to a limitation on plastic's end:

Error when executing git command. fatal: Server does not support shallow clients

Did you have any success?

7. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

I’m still hoping for Unity to support the Plastic protocol or come up with a solution for Cloud Edition users. No change for us so far.

kexar66, Wintermute- and Marc-Saubion like this.
  8. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

+1 for this, pretty weird that there is no support

9. BlakeGillman

BlakeGillman

+1, yeah this is what I was looking for

10. GVUnity

GVUnity

Plastic is now integrated into Unity, and from what I've seen it is much more user-friendly than Git. Now seems like the perfect time to bring Plastic to the Package Manager, as it would be immensely beneficial for those of us who are creating tools to facilitate our workflow. While there may be technical reasons for the delay of this functionality, I believe that it is worth taking the time to integrate Plastic into the Package Manager now, as it would be a tremendous help for many people.

tkdals5402 likes this.
  11. hgulgen

hgulgen

12. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Please use the like button, don't necro the thread with +1.

Thanks.

SeaFood_Ankle and hgulgen like this.