Search Unity

Support for Cinema 4D R18?

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Eysimir, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Eysimir

Eysimir

I just installed Cinema 4D R18 and Unity 5.4.0f3 don't seem to find it...
    When I add a .c4d file as an asset, I get the message:

"Cinema 4D could not be found.
    Make sure that Cinema 4D is installed and the .C4D file has Cinema 4D as its 'Open with' application!"

Cinema 4D is installed and the .c4d extension is definitely opening with Cinema 4D.

Is there a path entry missing? Can I solve this on my own somehow or do I have to wait for an update?

Cheers!

2. Eysimir

Eysimir

And yes, I'm running Unity as administrator.

3. Eysimir

Eysimir

Update:
    I started the command prompt in administrator mode, added the Cinema 4D R18 folder in the path and ran Unity from the prompt. Now the plugin got installed but unfortunately I get the folowing message:

"Cinema 4D couldn't convert the .C4D file to an fbx file.
    Try exporting the .C4D file to an fbx file manually.
    You need at least Cinema 4D R11 to import .C4D files directly."

Any thoughts?

4. Eysimir

Eysimir

Update:
    I believe I got the above message because Cinema was run in administrator mode too, while it's registered to my normal user account. When I run Cinema normally instead I get this message:

"ImportFBX Errors:
    Couldn't read file C:/Users/.../Desktop/Test/Temp/ExportedC4DFBXFile.fbx.
    Unexpected file type"

I'm guessing the plugin has to be updated... Am I right?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  5. Eysimir

Eysimir

No answers yet...
    Doesn't anyone know something about support for Cinema 4D R18?

6. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Sorry, I'm all Blender & Maya... But fbx is always being updated by Autodesk, which is then updated to other applications. I've had instances where the newest fbx standard doesn't working in certain applications till the next update.

The errors you're getting sound familiar to this. One even says to try a manual export. In the fbx export options you should be able to switch between which standard of fbx that's used. Try the newest version (probably the default) and then and older standard. If the older one works you may need to manually export to Unity is updated.

Just my guess anyways.

7. Eysimir

Eysimir

Thanks for your answer!
    Manual export from Cinema 4D R18 to .fbx (v 7.5) and importing to Unity 5.4.0f3 works without problems. My problem is with the intermediate .fbx that is created by the Unity-C4DToFBXConverter, that isn't readable by Unity.

At the moment my workaround is manual export which is a little more cumbersome.

8. _GimbalLock_

_GimbalLock_

Not a problem, glad you found a workaround.

9. Eysimir

Eysimir

So, this is still a problem for me. Unity 5.4.0f3 installs a c4d converter which is not compatible with Cinema 4D R18. Any news of when this will be updated? If this is not the place to ask, then where should I?

10. 00christian00

00christian00

Using the c4d Unity built in support is asking for trouble anyway, avoid it. Here use my script to export the selected object as fbx.
    Just save it on the shelf as a button and you are one click away from exporting as a fbx.

Attached Files:

11. Eysimir

Eysimir

Thanks man! That helps a little, but the initial problem still remains. I just hope someone at Unity know there's a problem.

00christian00 likes this.
  12. spaceemotion

spaceemotion

After a bit of messing around, i finally figured it out:

You'll have to download Unity 2017.1 (it's in beta at the moment), and install the c4d plugin that way.
    They completely rewrote their plugin as a python script and it works like before (maybe even better).

13. Eysimir

Eysimir

Wow, almost forgot about this thread. It's still relevant though!
    Thanks!

14. sledgeman

sledgeman

I am still exporting with my C4D r13 fbx files. Never got any issues. Everything works correctly. Would be surprised if you have issues exporting fbx with R18.

15. ccburton

ccburton

Syncing between C4D and Unity is a major part of my workflow, and it would be a shame if this was abandoned. As it stands, Unity 2017.1 'sort of' imports C4D R18 files. Some very common Cinema 4D object-types (like having a Cloner in the scene), breaks the import. This worked fine in earlier versions of C4D and Unity.

It works to manually export the same scene to DXF, but the value is specifically in the live syncing. The ability to modify the Cinema 4D scene file, and have it update in Unity with all materials/scripts still attached to the objects in Unity.

16. Dustin_Anglin

Dustin_Anglin

I've had this issue with R18 and 2017.1 for a while now. I've just been exporting to fbx in C4D, but I thought I'd give it another college try to get the workflow working. I still consistently get the "ImportFBX Errors: Couldn't read file... Unexpected file type."

I've tried deleting the FBX converter from C4D's plugin folder and having Unity 2017.1 install it again, but to no avail. Has anyone made any headway on this? Is R18 and 2017.1 just a dud combination?

17. smetzzz

smetzzz

This is crazy cumbersome to export to FBX each time. I loved Unity for its ability to easily update linked files automatically. Does anyone know of a fix happening down the line?

18. ccburton

ccburton

This is still broken 3 years later. Would it be possible for someone from Unity to please weigh in on this? If this has been abandoned for FBX export, would it be possible to release a tool that can reconnect an imported .C4D hierarchy (that has been moved, animated, components/scripts added) with an FBX export of the same scene that maintains this hierarchy and components? Because yes, I can manually export an FBX from cinema, but there's no way to replace the already-imported .c4d scene file with it that *maintains* all of its modifications post-import.

In other words I have already-existing and completed scenes based on synced c4d files that were heavily modified in Unity. There's no way to replace the .c4d files in those scenes with imported FBX that doesn't obliterate all the modifications.

What might have actually worked better longterm, is if the plugin linked the c4d scene to an automatically exported fbx in the unity hierarchy. So you make changes in c4d, then it applies those to the fbx, but the thing in the actual project hierarchy is an fbx, not a c4d file. Because then even if you broke the connection to the c4d scene, and you’d still have the working fbx in Unity.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  19. tiz777

tiz777

any update on this? Unity? is someone of you reading this?

I do have same problem with Cinema r14, no way to get it work. Last working version of Unity seems to be v5.6.7 for me (no way on 2017 and up).

It would be nice to know if Cinema is simply no more supported, that way we could just forget it and look for something else (or use the fbx export workaround), but if there is the possibility to have it working again would be of course 10 times better and would avoid us to redo a lot of work!

Please Unity, give an answer on that! Thanks in advance!