Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Support Asset Store packges (My Assets) in Package Manager UI

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by bdovaz, Jul 4, 2019.

1. bdovaz

bdovaz

New feature
    • Package Manager: Support Asset Store packges (My Assets) in Package Manager UI
    https://unity3d.com/unity/alpha/2019.3.0a8

I'm testing it but UI it's unresponsive if you have very huge list (our case).

If this UI it's built using UIElements you should seriously make performance tests of Scroll Views with 100+ elements.

RogDolos and JoNax97 like this.
  2. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @N3uRo, paging is already addressed, and will be available publicly in 2019.3.0a10

3. bdovaz

bdovaz

As I understand you are workarounding a performance issue.

There will be some point when someone would want a virtualized scroll and as I understand there isn't one.

4. Grizmu

Grizmu

It would be nice to have an additional option, which has to be ticked to show assets that are deprecated, which could work in a similar fashion to the show preview packages.

I mean, 99% of the time, when I'm wanting to import new assets, I'm interested only in the ones that are not deprecated.

5. erick_unity

erick_unity

Unity Technologies

Filters similar to the ones available on the asset store website are being evaluated for 2020.1 at the moment, @Griz

Lars-Steenhoff, RogDolos and Grizmu like this.
  6. Grizmu

Grizmu

That's some great news, looking forward to it.

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And what about icons? for the packages ( thumbnails )

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

And I don't care about paging, just give me a long list that I can scroll trough.
    Paging cost a lot of time for the user, because you never know on what page the asset you need is.

9. Gooren

Gooren

Love the feature, but there is one huge issue for us. We own lots of assets. And I mean LOTS of assets. Yet there is no "show installed assets only" filter option... this makes it absolutely impossible to make sure we have all assets updated for example.

RogDolos and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Yes, and there is also no way to tag them inside unity, only on the website.

Gooren likes this.
  11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I just tested this and navigating my asset list is very tedious, as you have to click "Load more" to reveal more and more of your assets.

The current workflow to find what assets I have picked up is:
    • Open Package Manager
    • Select "Assets" from drop-down
    • Scroll down list
    • Click "Load more"
    • Unity freezes for 5 sec
    • Scroll down list
    • Click "Load more"
    • Scroll down list
    • Click "Load more"
    • Scroll down list
    • Click "Load more"
    ... the list is sorted alphabetically and after doing these steps and having to wait 20s in total, I would probably still be at "A" or "B".

While downloading the next "load more" entries, it also causes Unity to freeze during this time.

Can't you add a button/option to load the entire dictionary at once? It's just text that usually compresses really well. Even if someone has 10000 assets in their list, that shouldn't take too long to query/download.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    spoutnix, mgmhunt, transat and 7 others like this.
  12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

^ Agreed!

Gooren and Peter77 like this.
  13. Wawwaa

Wawwaa

OMG! Who in the world breaks what is just working previously in the name of getting better? I have urgently to upgrade one of my assets related to a problem I am experiencing to see if it solves the problem, and I can not. I am loosing time! One more reason to leave unity. Unfortunately, I am close to release with this project, and started to think to migrate despite that.

14. Gooren

Gooren

Don't. Engine migration almost always kills the project.
    Also - don't think that there is any engine out there, any engine whatsoever, that will not waste your time with stupid BS. Every engine has it's own BS.
    Not trying to be pesky or what not, just trying to save you from huge time waste that is engine switch.