Search Unity

Super Raycast - Perfect collision detection against Renderers without colliders.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by neon_teebar, Jun 1, 2017.

1. ShawnFrueh

ShawnFrueh

How do I add this to my scripts? When I type in SuperRaycast I get the error that it doesn't exist in the current context Do I need to use a namespace?

2. ShawnFrueh

ShawnFrueh

It seems that the flickering goes away if you disable "Virtual Reality Supported" under player settings and then re-Enable it.

3. ShawnFrueh

ShawnFrueh

Tried moving the scripts outside of the plugins folder. No luck :( Ended up breaking other scripts.

4. neon_teebar

neon_teebar

It's not a component, you call it like you would call Physics.Raycast. There are demos included that demonstrate how to use it.

5. ShawnFrueh

ShawnFrueh

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I got it working. There was just something goofy in my project that was conflicting with the plugin.

I am trying to add an array of meshes and a max value. But I get an error when trying to do so.

I am following this line:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static bool Raycast(Ray ray, Renderer[] renderers, out RaycastHitRenderer hitInfo, float maxDistance = float.MaxValue)//, bool improve = true)//, Texture texture = null)
    With this:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public GameObject[] hitObjs;
    3. private RaycastHitRenderer hit;
    4. private bool hitInRange;
    5. private Ray ray;
    7. hitInRange = SuperRaycast.Raycast(ray, hitObjs, out hit, range);
    SuperRaycast does not like that order even though that is how it is outlined in SuperRaycast.cs

6. ShawnFrueh

ShawnFrueh

Nvm, It takes a renderer not a game object. Works fine :) Thank you!

neon_teebar likes this.
  7. HybridMedical

HybridMedical

We are getting some errors when using this in conjunction with Post Processing. Is this a limitation? Are there any workarounds if this is a known issue?

8. neon_teebar

neon_teebar

First I've learned of this issue. Which version of Unity and which version of the Post Processing stack are you using? And what kind of errors did you get?

It might not be fixable any time soon unfortunately, as I've had a hard time porting things to Unity 2017+.

9. Burchmore500

Burchmore500

Hey,

I just bought the asset and have a question regarding performance. To do a single SuperRaycast.LineTest against a single Renderer takes about 0.6ms according to the profiler (~0.3ms to Camera.Render, ~0.3ms to Gfx.ReadbackImage).

Is this expected? I saw on the previous page you noted that a stress test of 1000x SuperRaycasts took ~0.5ms, so I'm not sure why I'm having performance issues. I'm running on an i5-6600k and a GTX970. Also, calling it seems to allocate 6.6KB garbage, which I would like to avoid if possible.

Thanks,

PS. Profiler Screenshot (In Projectile.Update is where I call SuperRaycast.LineTest):

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  10. killeredy

killeredy

Hello!
    I recently acquired superRaycast and was very happy with the results on the pc.
    But I'm having trouble publishing to mobile. Few objects in the scene respond to the script.
    I do not know if I'm doing something wrong (I'm new to Unity and C #) or if the assets do not work on androids:
    Follow my scripts:

if ((Input.touchCount > 0) && (Input.GetTouch(0).phase == TouchPhase.Began))
    {
    Ray raycast = Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay(Input.GetTouch(0).position);
    RaycastHitRenderer hitInfo;
    if (SuperRaycast.Raycast(raycast, out hitInfo))
    {
    Color myColor = hitInfo.renderer.material.color;
    string myName = hitInfo.renderer.name;
    showColorName(myColor, myName);
    }
    }

**portuguese translator with goole.

11. Gulliver

Gulliver

Hi. Just purchased and got bunch of errors like:

RenderTexture.Create failed: format unsupported for random writes - 11.
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    SuperRaycast:Raycast(Ray, Renderer[], RaycastHitRenderer&, Single) (at Assets/Plugins/Teebar/Super Raycast/SuperRaycast.cs:681)
    SuperRaycast:Raycast(Ray, GameObject, RaycastHitRenderer&) (at Assets/Plugins/Teebar/Super Raycast/SuperRaycast.cs:575)
    NE_Construction:edit_mapping(Single, Single) (at Assets/Scripts/NE_Scripts/NE_Construction.cs:113)
    Workshop:edit_mapping(Single, Single) (at Assets/Scripts/NE_Scripts/NE_Workshop.cs:1546)
    Workshop:update_workshop() (at Assets/Scripts/NE_Scripts/NE_Workshop.cs:1533)
    NE_Game:Update() (at Assets/Scripts/NE_Scripts/NE_Game.cs:484)

spoonshoe likes this.
  12. DATA006

DATA006

Hey, Can it be used to shoot at a fps? I got this

Sin título.png

So, How can I replace it in my code?

13. theazz

theazz

Anyone here know if this asset is still supported / the fella replies?

14. sylvainbergeon

sylvainbergeon

Hi there,

I’m currently working on a VR project, that’s not a game, but an interactive VR meeting room for physicists to observe 3D data coming out from complexe physics simulation (metal deformation at high speed).

3D models are very heavy an reaches the 65k vertex.

All works very well except the fact I uses colliders to allow users to point and click the surface to get and display numerical values.

The use of convex colliders is very expensive when I move/rotate/scale the mesh around (physics recaluculation drops dow the frame rate to 15fps wich is unacceptable).

I was wodering if your superRayCaster could help on this.

I generally have only one meshRenderer at a time and don’t need to raycast on long distances.

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks

15. theazz

theazz

Depends how accurate and what example you're sampling. The asset still works but the dev has vanished the asset is quite cheap I'd suggest just trying it

16. spoonshoe

spoonshoe

Same here - did you ever get a response outside teh forum?

17. Gulliver

Gulliver

No

18. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

Hello
    What is the shader included in the package used for?
    Thank you

19. SharkmanSam

SharkmanSam

Is this product still supported? I am having trouble with the SuperCast Ray at (seemingly) long distances. Even when doing the fastest method. Im using it on my Terrain.

20. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Is there an update for HDRP available or has someone an
    already ported it?

I get an
    Thread group size must be above zero
    UnityEngine.Camera:Render()
    SuperRaycast:Raycast(Ray, Renderer[], RaycastHitRenderer&, Single) (at Assets/Plugins/Teebar/Super Raycast/SuperRaycast.cs:681)
    SuperRaycast:Raycast(Ray, RaycastHitRenderer&, Single, LayerMask) (at Assets/Plugins/Teebar/Super Raycast/SuperRaycast.cs:558)
    SuperRaycastDemo.MultiObjectExample:Update() (at Assets/Plugins/Teebar/Super Raycast/Demos/Scripts/MultiObjectExample.cs:111)

in Unity 2019.3.0f3 with HDRP 7.1.7

The SkinnedMeshDemo is still working.

Also the
    BumpMapMultRendererDemo
    is partly working for object who have no objects behind.

The left cube and capsule and all cubes and capsule on the border of the cube/capsule structure get collision (see console).

SuperRaycastHDRP_2.JPG

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
  21. Demhaa

Demhaa

I wonder, since this uses a visual mesh's normals...
    Can this become its own mesh collider?

22. ESTECH

ESTECH

Hello !

Do you continue your work on this since URP and HDR and does this work with in ?
    I need your asset to use it with imported Mesh at runtime and it's seems to be really usefull !

23. Hazneliel

Hazneliel

I am also getting this errors on Mac

neon_teebar Do you have a fix for this?

Gulliver, have you found a workaround or another solution?

Thanks

24. Arlorean

Arlorean

The _Return uniform in the shader isn't set to RENDERER_ID (3) when a material is first added to the matPool cache. Commenting out the
    return mat;
    from within the if statement makes the RayCast work on the first call as well as subsequent ones for cached materials:
    upload_2021-3-12_13-33-49.png
    This might be why some people are saying it works intermittently.

I'm using Unity 2020.2.2f1 with URP 10.2.2 and it all works correctly in the editor, although I had to ensure that my custom URP renderer included Layer 31 (which I named SuperRaycast) in the Opaque layer mask.

upload_2021-3-12_13-40-53.png

Internally the code uses Camera.Render() which the URP docs say is Not Supported so the asset may stop working at some point but for now it works pretty will for my needs.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  25. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Does this Asset work on Skinned Meshes in Unity 2019, 2020 and 2021? There doesn't seem to have been an update for 3 years so a bit concerned before I buy that it will work.

26. Arlorean

Arlorean

One of the samples that comes included is a SkinnedMesh example and it worked for me in a URP project in 2020.2.2f1. It's great if you don't want to have colliders on everything but still want to do the occasional raycast. Add my fix above to make it work reliably on the first raycast. Hope this helps (I'm not the author BTW).

27. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Has anyone got this to work on mobile? In the project I am helping on it is not working and giving the error:
    RenderTexture.Create failed: format unsupported for random writes - RGBA32 SFloat

28. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I am helping a team which is using this Raycaster in a project, in my simple scene I use the raycast against a SkinnedMesh and it works just fine, I get the right collision point back. In their scene with the same objects it registers collisions but the collision point is totally wrong and seems to be returning a collision with the bounding volume instead. Below is a screenshot showing the problem, I create a ray from the mouse screenpos to the sphere object, and the black lines show the ray from the origin on the camera plane to the returned hitpoint. And you can see that the rays are hitting the bounding volume and not the front of the sphere. How can this be fixed.
    Screenshot 2021-04-06 003623.jpg

29. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

Having done some more digging it seems it works fine if the Color Space is set to Gamma, if it is set to Linear then it doesn't work. Is there a fix for that?

30. Barry100

Barry100

is this still working in unity 2020? I used it back in 2017 and it was amazing.

31. victorkin11

victorkin11

The first post link are broken!

32. HunterAhlquist

HunterAhlquist

Any chance this will be updated to provide triangleIndex information?

33. nubdev

nubdev

Trying to use this for skinned mesh renderers, the example works fine but I see that it has a reference to the skinned mesh renderer it is cast against already included when calling the raycast. Since it seems the author has abandoned this project (no responses in this thread for a while), does anyone know if this is accurate and that you need a reference to the skinned mesh you are attempting to cast against before you cast the superraycast?
    This means then that you cannot just shoot a ray and return hits from any skinned meshes that cross its path?
    Seems to be the case