Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Super Penguins!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by serioustommy, Aug 6, 2012.

1. serioustommy

serioustommy

Hi guys,

Our first free Unity game has finally got approved by Apple and is now available on the app store for iphone and ipad!

We would really appreciate any feedback from you guys! Also if you guys have any questions with regards to development I would be more than happy to answer them :)

Here's the itunes link:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-penguins/id520888232

The Android version is also now live at:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.supersolid.penguin

Some screenshots:

Trailer:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  2. deadfire52

deadfire52

Fun looking graphics. Like temple run but cooler!

Are you planning to release an Android version?

3. serioustommy

serioustommy

Thanks! Yep the Android version is hopefully coming out in a week or two :)

4. serioustommy

serioustommy

5. deadfire52

deadfire52

Working fine with Samsung Galaxy S II. Love the upgraded modes (rocket and dinosaur mode).

6. purplelilgirl

purplelilgirl

Hi, Great looking game :) And pretty fun too :) I was wondering how did you compress all those 3D models and UI down to 26ish MB? Since empty unity projects already take up 13ish MB.

7. serioustommy

serioustommy

Hiya, thanks for the interest in the game!

With regards to the file size, we basically just kept everything very low poly, and share as much texture as possible from the very start. The compressed textures are also mostly fairly small due to the cartoony style. I suppose the fact that the game's levels are randomly generated also saves some space.

The UI textures are actually the biggest files in the game since they are combined into atlases which need to be in 32bit uncompressed to keep them looking crisp. So we have 2 massive 2048x2048 UI atlases which are 16mb each! However they seem to get compressed fairly well in the distribution package fortunately (not to be confused with texture compression).

8. purplelilgirl

purplelilgirl

@serioustommy I see, thanks for the tip. it seems UI always takes the most space :( but I wouldn't want to compress them either

9. Aguy

Aguy

Addictive
    Downloaded and started playing.
    2 hours later I catch myself realizing how long it's been.

10. Born for go

Born for go

11. Aguy

Aguy

After playing off and on for a while.
    2 things.
    Power ups freeze you and sometimes there is an obstacle right after it and that basically kills you right there.
    And the invincibility, you should get some type of warning or maybe a music change or something like in Super Mario when you get the star.

Back to trying to beat my score again...2754 is hard to get close to

12. gies3

gies3

nice!

13. hizral

hizral

How did you do the GUI? do you used Unity GUI or you used texture mesh? and how did you make those custom font counter?

14. serioustommy

serioustommy

@ Killswitch: Thanks! We are definitely looking into improving what you've suggested there.

@ hizral: We used NGUI for the UI. NGUI has built-in support for bitmap fonts which we use to display all the text in the game. For the score counter it's as simple as creating a NGUI text label, selecting a bitmap font and then changing the string in the text label instance whenever the score changes. NGUI also supports lots of common UI elements such as text input and draggable menu panels, which saved us a lot of time.

15. Jodash

Jodash

16. fpspro9001

fpspro9001

game looks nice :D i would like to try on android

17. suctioncup

suctioncup

Lets have a competition! I've got 5990!

18. Aguy

Aguy

Cheater :)

19. Aguy

Aguy

New high for me 2607.
    My eyes start to cross after 2000...

20. serioustommy

serioustommy

21. k3ch0ng

k3ch0ng

Hey Tommy, remember me :D

Just wondering how did you guys market and promote the game ?

22. serioustommy

serioustommy

Hey Kechong! It's not like our game is doing really well so what we've done is probably not ideal but here's what we did:

- made a press release and submit to the gaming press release aggregate site so it gets picked up by the various gaming sites.
    - send personal emails requesting for reviews to as many relevant sites as possible with promo codes to entice them
    - have social networking features (e.g. facebook/twiitter posts) in the game to help spreading the game virally
    - incentivize players to spread the game by giving them rewards in the game for posting on social networks
    - if you have the cash use cross promotional network like Tapjoy or Chartboost to run a campaign for your game. can get very expensive.

23. k3ch0ng

k3ch0ng

Does that cost ?

This sounds like spam :p does it work ?

Not sure if your aware but theres a free event at Earls Court next Tuedays which might be useful:

http://www.apps-world.net/europe/

24. serioustommy

serioustommy

It doesn't cost anything unless you want to find someone to draft your press release professionally for you.

When writing to websites obviously try to not sound pushy. If they post an article about your game then great but if there's no reply then just move on. Don't keep pestering them with follow ups.

Yep we'll be there for the appsworld conference next week.

25. Draak

Draak

So I've been playing this game for a couple of weeks now and I've had my fun moments with it.

But recently (can't tell when exactly, I'm travelling) you published an update that fixed some bugs. But I have this strange feeling it also increased the fish cost for the maximum level of all upgrades (from 50.000 to 100.000 fish).

Is this correct?

And if so, why? It's not like 50.000 fish was easy to gather, even with some full upgrades.

26. serioustommy

serioustommy

Hi Draak,

You are correct that we did increase the price of the upgrades in the game 2 versions back. The reason we did this is because based on the analytics data quite a lot of players are getting nearly all the upgrades in less than a week, without the help of purchasing coins. This is an attempt to re-balance the economy in the game and we understand that some players weren't going to happy about it.

We did struggle about whether to do it or just choke it down as a lesson learned, but ultimately decided to go ahead because we had only a few thousand players at the time so it would be better to do it earlier than later when our player base becomes much larger and ends up angering more players.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012