Search Unity

Super-fast high-quality SSAO

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sonicether, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Jaqal

Jaqal

Any update on a release date? I bought your bloom asset and am very impressed. Unity's ssao is completely unusable for me. I also tried ssao Pro but it breaks when I use with Lux PBS so that was a no go as well. I am hoping yours will work with Lux in 4.6. I need SSAO!

2. Z43D

Z43D

Release! Release! lol

spraycanmansam, RB_lashman and Jaqal like this.
  3. sonicether

sonicether

Hey, everyone. I feel pretty happy with how it's turned out so far, but I'd like to get a small group of testers to make sure it's functioning as it should for different types of scenes and different hardware. I'd also like some general feedback. If you're interested, please send me a PM with details on what kind of scenes you may have to test this effect with, and what GPU you're using. If testing goes well, I'll be polishing up the UI, cleaning up the code, writing documentation, and then submitting this to the Asset Store. :)

RB_lashman likes this.
  4. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

sent :)

5. Howard-Day

Howard-Day

I'd like to test it, for sure - but barring that, could you post more images of where your test cases are, visually? I'd really love to see your progress. :D

6. IPopeyIE

IPopeyIE

Any Updates to the status of this project?

If you are still looking for beta testers, let me know

7. ZJP

ZJP

+1

8. sonicether

sonicether

Beta testing has gone very well! I only want to add a few more features and fix up the UI, and then it'll basically be ready. Writing documentation can be pretty time-consuming, and that has yet to be done. I hope to get this submitted to the Asset Store as soon as possible. Thanks for hanging in there with me. :)

Fishypants, seon, Cynicat and 2 others like this.
  9. tynew

tynew

10. Cynicat

Cynicat

Arkade likes this.
  11. Fishypants

Fishypants

Sonic, the second you release this I'm buying it. Sooooo . . . . hurry please! :D

RB_lashman likes this.
  12. The_Least

The_Least

I'll definitely be buying this on release, looks superb.

RB_lashman likes this.
  13. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, sorry that I am newbie on this kind of stuff, will this asset support medium performance mobile devices?

14. jcarpay

jcarpay

DMeville likes this.
  15. Fishypants

Fishypants

(politely pokes SonicEther)

16. The_Least

The_Least

(throws money at SonicEther)

17. nipoco

nipoco

When does UT hire this guy to integrate his awesome stuff into Unity natively?

18. Zeblote

Zeblote

Never. Unity is happy with including crappy default effects and getting even more money when devs have to purchase better ones in the asset store.

19. Elecman

Elecman

Does this work with SpeedTree assets?

SSAO Pro can not handle the semi transparent leaves. Did you test that?

Sir-Spunky likes this.
  20. gtpdzbiz

gtpdzbiz

Would be interested if you can make a per object field AO... Like the Ambient Occlusion fields technic from Nathan Reed

21. IPopeyIE

IPopeyIE

Can we get an update on this project?

22. Fera_KM

Fera_KM

I would definitely buy this.

And I have a question as well.
    Would you include an option to change occlusion color?
    I've noticed that games almost always use AO as a multiply, while in reality we (compositors) more often use it as a mask to control gamma/gain. But maybe this is leads to a higher performance hit than simply multiplying black?
    I'm wondering why it isn't used more like you would use it then doing traditional compositing.

23. Cynicat

Cynicat

is there an option for just effecting only shadows? with PBR this is rather important.

24. sonicether

sonicether

I wanted to update everyone on this project.

As some of you may know, I was invited to exhibit at Unity's booth at GDC. Preparation for this took up all of my time for February and early March. Now that GDC is over, I can focus again on this project.

As soon as I found out that I was going to be going to GDC, I wanted to prepare something impressive that I hadn't really shown off before, which is my 100% dynamic (no precomputation) solution to Global Illumination (for now only works for outdoor scenes lit by sunlight). I'd like to get my GI onto the asset store as soon as possible, so I find myself juggling this project, GI, and working on updating and adding new features to my bloom/dirty lens asset. Since SSAO and GI are closely-related effects, I'd like to release those two around the same time.

SSAO is nearly done at this point. The last thing that I need to figure out is how I can only apply AO to ambient light and not direct light. As Cynicat pointed out, this is very important. It won't be possible with Unity 4, but it'll be quite simple with Unity 5's command buffers. The real challenge will be ensuring that it remains compatible with any shaders or other shader assets (like Alloy). It would be very useful to me if you guys could share with me what other graphics-related assets you use with your projects. I'd like to ensure maximum compatibility.

I have a cheap "fake" solution to this problem, which is using a luminosity threshold to limit the application of AO on bright areas of the screen. It works at times, but it's certainly not a solution I'm happy with relying on.

Changing occlusion color is a feature I plan on including as well.

The_Least, Paulohmm, Cynicat and 2 others like this.
  25. Cynicat

Cynicat

Sounds awesome! can't wait! unity needs good AO. i especially need it for an art style i've been playing with. its ambient lighting(think overcast day). no shadows, just GI. makes the colors pop like nothing you've seen. hides model artifacting really well also. i come from a CG background so the fact unity can do that now is super cool. however, unity's AO is really shoddy. kinda smudgy.

one thing that caught my attention was temporal AO. uses temporal re-projection on the AO samples. looks really good and forgoes the blur effect. i know its super hard in unity right now due to the lack of a velocity buffer. but considering they have said they are working on TXAA and mentioned adding a velocity buffer, that might be more of an option in the future. was an interesting read http://www.cg.tuwien.ac.at/~matt/tssao/ssao.pdf.

RB_lashman likes this.
  26. hopeful

hopeful

Are any of these effects capable of operating at the same time (SSAO, GI, bloom), or must they occur sequentially? I'm very nooby about all of this, but I gather using a lot of separate post effects can be inefficient.

27. Zomby138

Zomby138

@sonicether Will there be an option to turn off the "AO in shadows only" feature? Personally I like the look you get when it's applied in direct light. I know it's not "strictly accurate" or whatever, but it makes for a really grungy visual style, like dirt accumulating in the cracks.

It sounds like the version I want is already finished, sort of?

28. Hexaedre

Hexaedre

Good news. I am waiting for this asset and check this topic daily.

For the graphics-related asset (I am not sure your work as an impact on this):

RTP https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5664
    Skyshop https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/8880
    Shader Forge https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14147

Please please please, after you finished what you have to finish : do a Screen Space Reflection asset.
    I know you can do it ; the one you made for the SEUS is perfect.
    We really need good reflections, and actually there is nothing good as Candela's team stopped developing their asset and Candela ( https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15851 ) doesn't work in Unity 5.

Your bloom asset is awesome, by the way.

Cynicat and RB_lashman like this.
  29. Elecman

Elecman

Please check if it works with SpeedTree. They have semi transparent leaves and this might pose a problem to SSAO.

ThunderTruck likes this.
  30. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

just a reminder - this isn't a thread about Candela ......

Cynicat and hippocoder like this.
  31. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Regardless if another user is incorrect or correct about candela, please keep it to your own thread. This is a thread about Sonic Ether's products. I'd hate to revoke forum posting permissions to enforce this.

I've had to delete several posts about it.

LIVENDA, VertexFiend and RB_lashman like this.
  32. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

thank you :)

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Noticed some bugs-

SSAO shades polys with speedtree foliage, rather than being restricted to the leaf textures. Is there anything that can be done?

RB_lashman likes this.
  34. Cynicat

Cynicat

was thinking... could we have an occlusion power? put the final occlusion value through a power(to control the curve). would be nice for when you want to customize the falloff of the shadows.

35. sonicether

sonicether

This is likely an issue with how the speedtree foliage shader writes to the depth buffer.

Absolutely, it's already implemented. :)

Cynicat and RB_lashman like this.
  36. Cynicat

Cynicat

*hug*

RB_lashman likes this.
  37. SAOTA

SAOTA

bring on the SEAO

RB_lashman likes this.
  38. scarletshark

scarletshark

Very interested in either helping to beta test, or purchasing ASAP! Preferably both :)

RB_lashman likes this.
  39. Fishypants

Fishypants

Same here! Pssst Sooooonic!!!

40. Cynicat

Cynicat

I'm down with a beta as well! CGI graphics nerd here to help/give you money.

P.S. for anyone who wants it, i just tested this guys script to get post effects in the scene view and it works amazingly. except with unity's AO sadly. works with ambient obscurence for some reason. http://www.quickfingers.net/quick-bites-04-scene-view-fx/

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  41. seon

seon

Still no word on release of this?

42. sonicether

sonicether

I think it's just about ready, guys. I've fixed the last few bugs I could find and I'm putting together the final pieces to submit this to the Asset Store. I apologize for the wait!

43. RB_lashman

RB_lashman

woohoo :D finally!! :D

44. Cynicat

Cynicat

WOOHOOOOOOOO! YAY! ambient lighting here i come!

RB_lashman likes this.
  45. Elecman

Elecman

Is that Speed Tree transparency related bug fixed?

RB_lashman likes this.
  46. Pulov

Pulov

Hope we can get it this week!. Works with fog? If not. Comes with a distance falloff? Works with 4.6?

RB_lashman likes this.
  47. buttmatrix

buttmatrix

I'm literally counting the days until the asset is ready. That being said, I am also very eager for the updates to SENBDL. Cheers!

RB_lashman likes this.
  48. Fishypants

Fishypants

YAY!!! Cant wait!

Pulov and RB_lashman like this.
  49. ksam2

ksam2

Someone tell me why should I buy this instead SSAO PRO?

50. Cynicat

Cynicat

color bleeding, ao tint, sonic ether is awesome, it looks really good. personally can't say whether its better or worse than ssao pro but i love sonic ethers stuff so ill give it a shot. also color bleed looks awesome.

ksam2, Pulov and RB_lashman like this.