Search Unity

Super Ball Roll Fun Game Turbo

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SupaPuerco, Oct 19, 2007.

1. SupaPuerco

SupaPuerco

Super Ball Roll Fun Game Turbo (based on Katamari Damacy)

This is my first real attempt at making a Unity-based game. It's essentially a ripoff of Katamari Damacy, and is far from complete. It has networked multiplayer co-op, although I haven't been able to get it to work over the Internet. There are still some weird physics bugs and things of that nature, and it'd be awesome if you guys could help me out with some of those.

Controls:
    Mouse + Arrow Keys / WASD
    R to reset if you get stuck
    Escape to show the menu (in some cases)

Questions this brought up:
    • Is the only way to use online multiplayer (without being directly connected to the broadband modem) with a Master Server? How does the master server work? Can it be run on a network/DHCP type setup and still allow online play?
    • Right now when the ball "picks up" another object, it just makes it a child of the ball and slightly increases the size of the sphere collider. However this causes objects to float on the edges of the collider at larger sizes. Would the best way be to use individual colliders on the object or make some kind of "pack towards center" script or something?
    • Is there a way to get the absolute size of an object via scripting? As far as I can tell the only sizes are relative to the original model scale, which can be variable.
    • The ball spins by itself when left alone when many objects are attached to it... I can't figure out why.

Thanks!

P.S. To the dev team - 2.0 rocks!

Download Preview 1 (Mac Universal)

2. nickavv

nickavv

Wow! I like that a lot! Several things:

I seem to get stuck a lot, which can ruin a game.
    I can't pick up the last Roids tin (the one on the table) even though I've picked up the other one.

That's all! I love the spoofing of all those companies on the different objects in game. Nice work!

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Gotta say I enjoyed playing this. Very clever concept.

4. seon

seon

Very very cool... polish it up and sell it :)

5. Jessy

Jessy

You will get your SOUL sued off by NAMCO. It's too close to the real thing.

GREAT JOB!

A few things that I liked in the Katamari series that differs in your game:

* A little guy pushing the ball around is essential! I mean, how is that thing rolling, anyway?! :p

* Your first-person control scheme is precise, but the dual-analog setup was more fun, if a bit redundant.

* Part of the outer objects on the ball always go through the ground. In Katamari, when you pick up an object that doesn't adhere well to a spherical shape, you roll in an eccentric and hilarious way. It's odd: I think in general,it behaves just as yours does, but weird things like fences and volcanoes can deform the sphere.

*As you get bigger, there is no oddball sound/visual effect and switch of what is visible. That is nice at this scale, but eventually, you're going to have an overabundance of junk on-screen, and things will probably slow down.

* Your music is not as kooky as the Katamari stuff (though it is some of the best music I have heard in a Unity game so far). Let me know if you want any help in this department. In a lounge voice: "Katamari on da schwiiiiing."

This is easily my favorite thing I've seen in Unity so far. I am SO joining your team when NAMCO gives you your own Katamari studio.

6. Morgan

Morgan

That was fun! I never played the original.

I too got stuck on the last Roids box. And I got wedged someplace once, but then I found the R for Reset key and all was well :)

7. backmask

backmask

awesome

8. shaun

shaun

9. Jessy

Jessy

Hey, can we get a web player or Windows build please? A friend of mine is very interested in checking this out, and he doesn't have a Mac (that works).

10. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Amen to that Jessy, if you're gonna clone the game then clone it all the way! :D

Lovely job on that game, especially if it's your first real go at a game! The master server is simply a way for players to connect and "shake hands" so they can connect peer-to-peer to play, after that no master server is needed. You can of course also implement your own master server (or run a Unity player instance as a server-side logic source) without needing our master server. Have fun and let us know when this is set up in multiplayer format!

BTW, I love Katamari and dig that you cloned it. :D

11. danimal1979

danimal1979

Awesome work. most impressive :)