Search Unity

SuntManiaJnr - Apple's Featured Widget!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by seon, Jul 11, 2007.

1. seon

seon

We just released a free Widget called StuntMainaJnr as a prelude to the release of our up-n-coming game title - StuntMania

http://games.sector3.com.au/

The widget is just a teaser and a bit of fun to pass the time before the full version gets released.

2. jaydubs

jaydubs

I love it ... "Just go crazy" is very accurate :D

I also noticed your in-game ads, and they're very tastefully done. They're there but only if you look.

Cool, I'm going crazy for a little longer :wink:

J.

3. yangmeng

yangmeng

That's great! I don't have the reflexes or game playing skills to do well at it (a kids setting - little kids setting! - would be cool for someone like me) but it looks like it would be a terrific game for someone who does. I hope the full version release goes well.

4. seon

seon

Thanks guys :)

5. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

This one is fun! Ideal to kill time at work... and your customers nerves :D

Nice Work Seon!

6. nafonso

nafonso

In mine the fonts don't appear. Am I the only one with this problem? I'll attach a screen to show what I mean.

I also got some camera issues, for example when doing the complete loop the camera "lost the car", and when I don't move the car in the begining, the camera goes all "jumpy".

Another problem was that using the wasd worked, but I hear the "doing, doing" when you push a key that isn't valid on Mac OS X. This only seems to happen if I don't click on the widget, or if I go into full screen. The arrows don't have this problem.

It is a bit heavy for my powerbook g4 1.67ghz. Could you provide some stats about the complexity of the scene? (e.g. number of polygons of car, track, ramps).

Very nice, congratulations.

Regards,
    Afonso

Attached Files:

7. seon

seon

Afonso: Thanks for the awesome feedback.

I will post scene stats tomorrow, but yes it seems a tad heavy for G4 class machines, esp in a dashboard window. Going full screen seems improve performance a lot.

The font thing is weird. I will look into that tomorrow :)

Thanks!

8. drJones

drJones

that's awesome! - i can't wait to see the d'l count off apple after a few months ; )

one thing that is needed IMO is a hit sound - not neccesarily a realistic crash or anything - any sort of thud or thwack that maybe gets louder the faster you smash into something. its a small detail but i think it would make a big difference as far as player immersion.

perforance seemed good here (intel imac) - a bit long to load up but nothing i haven't seen before (the in-game ads are fine in this context as well).

very well done ; )

9. bronxbomber92

bronxbomber92

I get the same problems as nafonso. Other-wise, it's a great little demo :)

I'd like to see the controls become a little bit less touchy though.

Edit - I'm running a MacBook with an Intel Core Duo, 512 MB RAM, w/ the Intel GMA 950 graphics card.

10. nafonso

nafonso

Yes, it's quite difficult to get to the top of that spiral ramp!!! :p But maybe that's the whole point.

Another bug is that sometimes a wheel will get stuck on a ramp, specially on one tilted/twisted like the spiral that goes up. Once I did a project where I used ODE and I got the same problem, I remember that I had to do a lot of ODE parameter tweeking to minimize that effect.

Regards,
    Afonso

11. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Very impressive.

The camera is really well done. I didn't notice it at all, thats really cool.
    And the car physics is nicely tweaked, just the little detail how the car turns to stick towards walls etc.

12. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Very nice, although I'll have to disagree with Joachim in that at times I felt the camera was a bit odd in how it moved about. But those were only occasional instances and none of that was even close to enough to put me off the game. Very fun... :D

Oh, and nice in-game ad space you have there! :eek: :p

13. louis

louis

Sadly running on an 800Mhz Quicksilver g4 it's a case of the same font problem
    reported earlier coupled with a very dark brown screen. No discernable shapes
    at all. I had a run through your basic Turret wars level earlier and that worked
    just fine - once i'd worked out just how far away the targets were :D but in this
    one it's a no show. Are you using a shader of some sort ? I still have the basic
    graphics card that shipped with the mac. :roll:
    I also found I had to click more than a couple of times to access the instructions
    etc - but again that may well be a case of an old mac in a new world.

cheers
    louis

14. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

This is exactly my kind of game, and I am loving it so far. I have a lot of feedback so I will just PM it to you.

Again great job! :)

15. Lka

Lka

One of the best widget I ever seen! I think your game will be a hit.
    Only one thing: in fullscreen sometimes the camera don't respont to 123 keys.

16. Lallander

Lallander

This is quite fun to play, I can only suggest of course larger and more varied courses in the full release. I am also getting the odd text bug on the hud. Dual 2.5 G5 with 2 gigs of ram and a 128 ATI Radeon 9600 XT.

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I've got the text problem here too (dual 2.5 G5 + X800). Also, I thought we weren't supposed to remove the Unity or Ageia logos from the back?

--Eric

18. seon

seon

Really? I am happy to put them back in. I didn't know that. Where is that info from?

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I thought I remembered reading that on the boards a little while ago. Yep, here. Although out of curiosity I looked at the license and I don't seem to actually see that in there.

--Eric

20. seon

seon

Anyone from OTEE with a ruling on this? I am happy to put it back in if required.

Also... for those that have downloaded the Widget... anyone tried driving up and around the walls yet? The tyre's are kinda sticky, so if you build up enough speed, you can actually stick to the walls and drive all over the place!

21. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I'm already looking into it, please stand by... :)

22. seon

seon

Ok, we have a newer build of our widget online... it's hopefully fixed the font issue, as well as performance issues on older G4's. We have also reduced the windows size a tad for those that have smaller screens (we are spoilt with 20" plus screen sizes here :)

We also got the widget down another 2MB in size! Yay!

http://games.sector3.com.au/stuntmaniajnr.aspx

We are currently working on fixing some of the little physics quirks with the level, so stay tuned for future updates.

Thanks all for your wonderful feedback and suggestions.. it's all being taken on-board!

23. seon

seon

Fantastic News:
    StuntManiaJnr is the featured top widget on Apples website! Woohoo...!

And.... the latest version on there is a brand new version we JUST released in time that fixes many of the issues discussed in this thread, including some fixed platform mesh, better collider mesh, car reflections, cleaner camera follower and more.

Thanks again for all of your amazing input and suggestions today!

24. escondar

escondar

Very nice work. Got immiediatly addicted (which is a problem.. I have already way too much stuff to do).

quick note. Although the buggy flips back over when it lands on its back in most situations. When you are on the pipe and you are flipped and jammed between the pipe and the wall... there you stay.

Also.. how do you quit? Perhaps I overlooked the instructions.

25. cblarsen

cblarsen

It all looks nice and stuff, but I am getting 4-5 fps on my 1ghz G4/Geforce 3MX

Congrats on becoming featured download though

26. zumwalt

zumwalt

This looks extremly familiar, can't quite place it yet but I have played that level in another game. I can't put my finger on it yet. Instead of your buggy though it was a moon rover with slightly different skins and coins to pickup and such. *scratches head* It was either on my PS2 or my GameCube, possibly one of the sonics, I just can't remember, but I definately have played a version of that map.

Its extremely close in design.

27. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Wow, way too fun! (should have been working that last hour, you know).

28. seon

seon

Definitely an original design :) Though am sure there are many car games that have ramps, loops and things to drive on.

29. drJones

drJones

congrats! (i'm not surprised though - its a sweet widget ; )

have you gotten any download data yet?

30. seon

seon

Since it was listed on Apples site (about 18 hours ago) we have had just under 5000 downloads, and its sitting pretty consistent at about 250-300 an hour.

We have no idea what to expect in terms of downloads, I guess it will greatly depend on how long Apple have it featured for, and how many downloads it will take to get it into the top 50. It's a pity Apple don't show download numbers :(

31. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You are at number 10 now. Probably not long until you make it to the top :)

32. seon

seon

Really? Still says FuGu Maze here :)

33. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

34. seon

seon

Ahhh... ok, yep see it in the Top50 list. Thanks for the heads up :)

35. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Very cool. I love these types of games (Stunt Car Racer on the Amiga was a top fav for a long time).

The bonus points for spinning and such are a very nice touch!

I wish I could play this one better, I'm finding I cannot reliably navigate my car to anywhere I want it to go (it is squirrelly everywhere I go!)

Maybe it's because I'm using the keyboard, instead of a joypad or something.

36. pete

pete

congrats on the release/ranking! what are the odds of a web player? i'd love to check it out but i'm still on 10.3.9 - no widget joy :(

37. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Based on my own experience, lots.

Example: In June we downloaded more than 55,000 Banana Warehouse's and blew through the half million total widgets downloaded mark to top 536,000.

38. drJones

drJones

nice! - thanks for the info ; )

>>its so cool to see 3 unity widgets in the top 15<<

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Approximate download stats for the three widgets I've posted so far on the Apple site:

FuguMaze - 70,000 downloads over 1 months, currently 1,000/day
    FuguTilt - 13,000 downloads over 3 months, currently 30/day
    FuguBowl - 6,000 downloads over 2 months, currently 50/day

I'm curious as to the algorithm Apple uses to determine Top 50 ranking, but FuguTilt was a Staff Favorite and as I remember started out number one for maybe a day, while FuguMaze was a Featured Widget and stayed number one for over a week. FuguBowl only recently snuck in the 48-50 slots when for some reason the download rate jumped to a few hundred/day (it's dropped out again, but at least I can say they all made it into the top 50!)

By the way, re: the Unity/Ageia logo requirement on the widget back, if there is a requirement, I'd like the option of avoiding the widget back and displaying them via the Unity player - that avoids accidental game restarts by the player and allows for a 3D presentation of the logos (altough getting the hyperlinks to work would be trickier)

40. seon

seon

Wow, 70,000 in a month... hmm, not sure SMJnr will do that. Thanks for sharing the stats :)

41. Richard_B

Richard_B

Hi Seon,
    This looks like a definite winner - excellent stuff!

Might just buy it myself :)

Richard.

42. seon

seon

43. Richard_B

Richard_B