Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Official Summary of the Collaborate service disruption in the European region

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by bradunity, May 7, 2018.

1. bradunity

bradunity

We'd like to provide some additional details on the recent service degradation many of you experienced in the European region when using the Collaborate service on May 4 and May 5 (2018). Unity services rely on a third-party message delivery platform to relay important notifications around changes to the services. This service experienced degradation in its European data centers which ended up causing a degradation of Unity's identity management service used by all Unity cloud services, including Collaborate.

In addition to insulating our services from this type of degraded response from dependent services, we are also taking steps to address cases where the Unity Editor slows down and becomes unresponsive when Collaborate is enabled and unable to communicate with our identity service.

We apologize for interrupting your work and will ensure this type of issue does not occur again. Please feel free to contact us if you require more information or need additional help resolving any other impact this outage may have caused.

Deleted User and hippocoder like this.
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks for the explanation, very helpful transparency increases trust! I particularly like the insulation! we learn by our mistakes.

Deleted User likes this.
  3. Prodev101

Prodev101

But its still terrible! We are paying over $200 a month and its just awful! Just to revert a <2kb file take 30+ minutes..

4. Bramagola

Bramagola

Yeah, so, how long is this degradation supposed to last? Its now going on almost a year of acknowledgement, and the service still causes running unity instances to slow down to a crawl.

5. Aghawa

Aghawa

@bradunity Hello my friend. I'm on 2019.1.1f1 and enabling Collab slows down everything to a crawl.
    Even with a fresh project and small <100mb projects.

The only workaround is STILL to turn off Collab - which is a service we keep paying for. Any updates on Unity's end? (Europe - UK here location wise)

6. bradunity

bradunity

@Aghawa, sorry to hear about your troubles! There's no explicit update about this (very old) outage. At the time of my original post, all operations were back to normal. Since then, we have made many service changes, including a move from AWS into GCP as our cloud provider, in addition to providing three primary regions in which your projects are hosted to help improve local access performance (see @StaceyH's note regarding "Collaborate now has region support for source files" in our living Release Notes thread. You might see if perhaps your project is hosted in the U.S. region, still. If so, you could consider creating a new project (which should be hosted by the Europe service) and copying your original project over.

Otherwise, it sounds like you (and perhaps other folks) may still be experiencing some kind of unknown performance issue. I'd love to help track it down, but it's very hard to say without more details. You might consider using our Network Reporter to test access to our services and submit the resulting report to the Customer Support from your project's "Collab" section in developer.cloud.unity3d.com (or email to collabsupport@unity3d.com) or directly send it to me along with the project ID that seems to be slow for you.