Search Unity

Suitable VR Controller and SDK for developing VR Mobile games in Unity

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by avinash_unity542, Oct 9, 2018.

1. avinash_unity542

avinash_unity542

Hi,
    I want to develop VR games on the mobile platform along with the use of a controller. I am planning to use a mobile VR headset such as this one https://www.mi.com/in/mi-vr-play-2/ and a controller along with it. I would like to know which controller would be compatible with the wide range of Android smartphones (not just high-end daydream or Samsung VR gear supported phones alone) and which SDK would be suitable?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I explored that same path for months. Finally I gave up on it and bought an Oculus Go, and I've been happy ever since. :)

The short answer is, there is no good standard controller except for Gear VR, and even that is fading away now that Oculus Go is here. Once you've tried a dedicated wireless headset, you will never want to fiddle with your phone for VR again.

But of course if it's just a personal project on the cheap, then use any headset/controller that works with whatever phone you happen to have. That'll tide you over until you can get a Go. :)

3. avinash_unity542

avinash_unity542

Thanks for your suggestion @JoeStrout. Oculus Go seems to be good. What can be the minimum system configuration to develop apps for Oculus Go?
    Does a Dual-Core 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics will be capable of doing it?

4. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Sure. Anything that can run Unity will do fine.