Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SUIMONO Water System - 2.0 BETA Announcement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chingwa, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eskovas

eskovas

I think i spent around 2-3 hours just messing around with the settings and playing with the boat scene without even realizing i spent so many hours on this :p I would say that's a good sign :)
    One thing is that i couldn't get Tessellation in DX11 to work... And using infinite ocean, the ocean position update is very clunky.
    Other than that, it looks and works good :) the amount of customization options is crazy :p looking forward to 0.88.

2. chingwa

chingwa

UltraTM - Thanks! Really glad it's working for you now.

eskovas - :) Glad to hear you're enjoying it! For tesellation to work you need to make sure you set unity to dx11 mode first (under player settings), and then set suimono to use "unity pro dx11". Also depending on how large the ocean is you can increase the tesellation and spread settings to get more detail.... if you have a large body of water or ocean I recommend turning off the "auto tesellation setting on the suimono_module. Version 0.88 is a very big improvement... I can't wait to get it out to everyone.

3. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks :) i forgot to enable the "unity pro dx11" option. was only using the "unity pro" option. It looks a lot better.

4. Pulov

Pulov

What I meant is that for example in the first video with the sailing boat, it feels as if there was a layer in top of the ocean waves that has a displacing texture of the foam, the effect is very ankward. Further the foam fades in a quite unnatural way.

For instance this watter seems to have a similar approach to the foam but certainly feels better.

With the upcoming update sure it will look much better with those surface waves.

5. eskovas

eskovas

I've been trying out Suimono in-game and i have a few issues:

- While using a Camera with the clear flags set to "depth only", Suimono breaks the other camera which contains the sky. Is there a way to fix this?

- Suimono should allow for a camera to be assigned on Scene Loading without it throwing errors in the editor for not having a camera. Also, if i remove the camera from Suimono, it takes a long time before i can do anything in the Editor again.

6. chingwa

chingwa

eskovas - Suimono will automatically look for a camera in your scene with the "MainCamera" tag. it then uses this automatically to track when to switch to the underwater view. Alternatively, you can specifically directly which camera to track by dragging that camera into the "scene camera object" slot on the SUIMONO_Module object.

If you have a two camera setup, one for just the background skybox and one for scene objects, then I suggest setting the sky camera to "untagged" and then set your scene camera to "mainCamera", OR set them both to "untagged" and drag the scene camera onto the suimono camera slot.

You're right though, that if you don't have a mainCamera tag and you don't specify what camera to use explicitly then suimono will start throwing errors. I'll see If I can get this fixed for 0.88 so that it doesn't throw errors.

If you need to set this yourself from code you could script the camera yourself by accessing the "setCamera" attribute like this...

Code (JavaScript):
    1. #pragma strict
    3. var useCamera : Transform;
    4. private var suiObject : SuimonoModule;
    6. function Start(){
    7.     suiObject = gameObject.Find("SUIMONO_Module").gameObject.GetComponent(SuimonoModule);
    8. }
    10. function Update(){
    11.     if (suiObject != null && useCamera != null){
    12.         suiObject.setCamera = useCamera;
    13.     }
    14. }

7. eskovas

eskovas

Thanks, but i already knew that Suimono tracked the camera automatically though. My problem was more specifically related to the errors. Sorry for not clarifying it.

Do you have any solution for the "Depth Only" problem? The second camera isn't only used for the skybox, but also for meshes that simulate clouds.

8. chingwa

chingwa

hmm... can you post a screenshot of what's happening? I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say it breaks the camera...? Or you can email it to me at konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com

9. eskovas

eskovas

Sure.

This is the scene without Suimono
    2.png

This is the scene with Suimono
    1.jpg

I'm using Deferred Rendering and HDR.

This effect is somewhat similar to using HDR on the camera with "depth only" and not using HDR on the sky camera while using Deferred rendering.

10. chingwa

chingwa

Oh WoOOOW! So yeah it's breaking the camera. I did some tests here in 0.87 and I can reproduce it using deferred just as you said. I did the same test in 0.88 and it all seems to work as expected. Sit tight just a little while longer and I'll have the 0.88 download ready... I don't think you'll have this problem anymore after the upgrade.

11. chingwa

chingwa

Well what I mean is (just to clarify)... I'll have the 0.88 download ready, tonight. :)

John-G likes this.
  12. eskovas

eskovas

Nice :) Thanks for checking this out. Looking forward to the next update :)

13. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0 BETA 0.88 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta

Note: The minimum required version for Suimono has increased from Unity 3.5.7 to Unity 4.3. Official support for 3.x was becoming untenable and according to official Unity statistics there aren't many people that are still using it anyway. If this is a problem for anyone then let me know and I can probably work out a custom solution to get 0.88 working for you in 3.5.7. (also currently only zip download is available, if anyone needs a .rar download I'll try and get one up ASAP.)

New Features:
    -------------------
    This is a pretty large update that has been a long time in the making (too long actually!). The main feature is a more physically based approach to rendering the water surface and waves, incorporating better reflection algorithms and improved normal combining. Suimono now incorporates an image-based lighting algorithm which can be lit either with a scene cubemap, or with the built-in dynamic reflection calculation. This all means that the water surface is now beeeautiful! and fit's into the surrounding scene in a more convincing fashion. Also special attention has been paid to the visuals both in gamma space and linear space.

Additional features include an improved preset system that allows you to use and choose between multiple preset files. This let's you organize your presets into categories and just gives better control in working with presets in general. There were also a number of annoying bugs related to the preset selecting and saving that should now be fixed, and a large list of random issues that you can see fixed below. And if anyone is using the closed beta of Unity 5 Suimono should be working now.

Too Soon?
    -------------
    There is one feature that I wrote about on the forms that I decided not to include in this update... Cast Shadow support on water surfaces. I was very excited in my initial tests and may have announced this too soon. While it does work under certain circumstances, it isn't yet reliable enough to release as it has some breaking bugs of undetermined origin in different Unity versions. I'll continue to work on this feature and will get it released as soon as possible.

Future of the Beta:
    -------------------------
    I finally feel the Suimono beta is getting to the point where I can release it on the Asset Store. I still plan on doing at least one more beta update to fix any final bugs or other unforseen issues and I'd also like to pay some extra attention to the demo scene, including more examples such as character interaction, swimming, rivers etc. I'd also like to nail down some 3rd party support, such as Skyshop (some of the preliminary work for this has been included in this update).

2.0 and beyond:
    ---------------------
    The final version of 2.0 certainly won't be the end of Suimono development. I intend to continue to improve suimono and add new support and features as time goes on. Unity 5 is coming and I'll be looking into the new reflection probe and sky integration, and I also plan to add support for true flowmaps for those who would like them. And for those who have been following development of my next asset Tenkoku - Dynamic Sky, I plan on full Suimono support including interaction with the weather system as well as automatic light/color sharing between the two assets.

Finally I'd just like to thank everyone who's been participating in the beta, giving me feedback, asking questions and putting Suimono through it's paces. Suimono has evolved way beyond my intial plan for 2.0 and I hope everyone is enjoying where it's heading.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 9/15/2014 - 2.0 Beta Version 0.88 released
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    • NEW - All new water suface shaders. Improved wave rendering, improved reflection rendering, improved performance (fewer render passes).
    • NEW - Added "Shadow Amount" attribute, contributes wave shadow surface detail.
    • NEW - Added "Surface Blend Color" attribute, performs color multiply function.
    • NEW - Added "Surface High Color" attribute to tent surface waves.
    • NEW - Added Option to enable/disable screen transition effects (option located on the Suimono_module object).
    • NEW - Preset system can now select between multiple preset files, for better categorization and customization.
    • NEW - Preset System has new default setting for "None", allowing you to reliably change settings in Editor Mode.
    • NEW - Caustic color and intensity can now be affected by scene lighting.
    • NEW - Added "Light Factor" underwater setting that modulates underwater lighting brightness.
    • CHANGE - Code updates for Unity 5 compatibility.
    • CHANGE - Better water rendering while in Editor Mode.
    • CHANGE - Improved splash fx visuals/rendering.
    • CHANGE - improved blur algorithm for higher performance.
    • CHANGE - Removed "Specular Low" attribute.
    • CHANGE - Water flow direction and flow speed and foam speed settings now relinked tot he preset saving system.
    • CHANGE - reflection shader no longer darkens as it fades out.
    • CHANGE - Updated underwater shader reflections and calculations.
    • CHANGE - Caustic effects now clamp to 3d wave height area.
    • CHANGE - Added default material support to the Mosule Library component.
    • FIX - Nested Prefabs support... Water surfaces now protect material references during prefab creation.
    • FIX - Improved support for multiple water surfaces in a single scene.
    • FIX - All Inspector UI's now compatible with Unity 4.6+ (no more inspector stretch issues)
    • FIX - light absorption attribute now works properly again. (affects depth transparency visuals)
    • FIX - Deleting the last preset in the presets list corrupted the preset data file.
    • FIX - The presets list now updates right away when deleting a preset.
    • FIX - "return default value implicitly" error spamming now fixed.
    • FIX - Manually placed caustic_objects now react as they are set, and use a default light cookie.
    • FIX - Console no longer spammed with errors when scene camera isn't defined.

lazygunn and John-G like this.
  14. janpec

janpec

You cant post those great words on update without posting new screenshots, its torture. But seriously, really looking forward to what you have come up with.

By the way, do you perhaps plan to add SSS to water surface. Just checking that posted video of Assasins creed above seems like they are using it and could be nice visual addition.

15. lazygunn

lazygunn

Grats justin! I'll of course be checking this out right away, it'll be good to get back to suimono after a while away

16. eskovas

eskovas

Well... Sadly the problem still persists...
    a1.jpg

I also have a few other issues with the ocean.
    For example, you can see that around the gun and hands, there's an outline:
    a2.jpg
    It aggravates more when i get closer to the ocean:
    a4.jpg

Another issues i encountered, is that when the player is submersed, the camera shifts down and if i look up, i can see a "shadow" of it being in the right place:
    a3.jpg
    a5.jpg

Performance also gets worse when the camera is closer to the ocean. I get 100fps when i'm 10 meters from the ocean and i get 30 fps when the feet are in the water.

Other than that, the ocean looks really good :)

Edit:
    I also did a clean install of the 0.88 beta.

17. chingwa

chingwa

eskovas - I'm going to have to do some more tests on that camera breaking issue. When I tested it out in my dev version of 0.88 all was happy happy joy joy(in fact when I go back to check it still is...), but now when I try importing it into a new scene, or into the scene from 0.87 it still shows up for me too. It seems to work fine when the top camera is set to forward rendering, but that's just an observation, not a suggestion. No worries though, we'll get this worked out!

The outline and underwater offset is another issue entirely. I have some ideas about getting this fixed (in fact I thought I had fixed this already in a previous version). In the meantime it can be reduced by lowering the "chromatic shift" attribute down closer to 0, and also reducing the "refraction amount" attribute. (both under Water Surface).

For the performance while in water... that's a pretty drastic change! Do you have one of the fx_object prefabs or buoyancy_object prefabs on your fps character? it's possible this is caused by the Blurring function (maybe?) you can test by reducing the "Blur Quality Samples" setting down to 2 (on Suimono_Module object) and also reducing the "Blur Amount" (under Water Surface)... any improvement?

18. chingwa

chingwa

janpec - sorry for the torture dude, I'll get some screenshots up soon. :D as for incorporating an SSS solution, yes I have certainly thought about this, buuuut I feel I need to "level up" a bit before I'm able to understand what's required. I can look into this once 2.0 is finalized 'cause I'd love to offer a more flexible reflection system in Suimono.

19. chingwa

chingwa

eskovas - also I forgot to mention, but dynamic reflections seem to be turned off by default. enabling the "use dynamic reflection" option on the water_surface may give you more interesting water/underwater views... though there is a performance cost to having this on.

20. John-G

John-G

Afraid I'm getting similar issue to eskovas, 0.88 has a strange stuttering in play mode even though its reporting over 50FPS.k
    Even with Auto Tessellation turned off and set low. Tried in current project and fresh project.
    Also getting the following warning: Too many layers used to exclude objects from lighting. Up to 4 layers can be used to exclude lights, while your lights use 8: 'TransparentFX' 'Ignore Raycast' 'Water' 'UI' 'Unnamed 8' 'Unnamed 10' 'Unnamed 11' 'Unnamed 12'.

Edit: further testing shows the stuttering to be the boat and camera movement and not the actual water.
    After disabling boat, water plays smoothly with no stutter.

21. eskovas

eskovas

I tried what you recommended,

The chromatic outline is gone, the camera shift is gone.
    I'm not noticing too much performance change now.

But i am getting errors when i select the Suimono_Module object:
    aa1.jpg
    I don't have DX11 enabled in Unity or Suimono.

22. chingwa

chingwa

John G. - Thanks for the test! Glad to hear it's not the water system itself, I'll fix up that demo camera before the final.

John-G likes this.
  23. chingwa

chingwa

eskovas - yes those errors are expected. They occur because your project contains dx11 shaders with dx11 instructions, but when the project isn't in dx11 mode it doesn't understand them. You can either switch back to dx11, or simply remove the shaders with "dx11" in the title from the Suimono/Shaders folder. (or ignore them they won't affect anything... it certainly annoying to get error popups though).

Now regarding the camera breaking bug... the good news is I've discovered what the problem is... the bad news is there isn't a direct fix for it...

Here's the problem... When using multiple deferred cameras in a scene that also uses the "GrabPass" shader instructions, Unity's camera combining breaks. I've tested this in 4.3, 4.6, and in Unity 5. This bug has been around for a long time and it just isn't getting fixed. Even in Unity 5's new fully deferred renderer it STILL isn't fixed. I'll put together a small package and submit another bug report to Unity. But I wouldn't expect them to suddenly jump on it...

So here's a couple solutions you can do yourself...

1) The best solution is to not use multiple deferred cameras. You can either switch to Forward rendering (ugh!), or you need to render your entire scene with a single deferred camera. Is there a specific reason you're using a second camera for the sky background...? are you using a sky asset plugin? There may be ways around this, either using a different sky asset or coding up a render texture solution instead.

2) The next best solution is to not use any shaders that use grabpass. Unfortunately there's no way to render the refraction and blur effects that Suimono uses without also using Grabpass. You can switch Suimono to use the basic version... switch the "Unity Version Target" setting to "Unity" or "Unity DX11" instead of the Unity Pro settings... this version doesn't use grabpass and the cameras should render correctly, but of course you don't get many of the nice effects that make the water look, well, like water.

24. chingwa

chingwa

So OK, there's 3rd option... I can take the full shader and go through and remove all the GrabPass code, effectively turning it into a transparent shader instead. This will look better than the basic shaders, but should still work in the deferred rendering mix. Just let me know if you'd like it on the DX11 or non-dx11 version.

25. janpec

janpec

Sounds good. One more further question, is normal map for water adjustable (can be changed)? I would like create a bit more edgy waves, not smooth waves, but more sharp ones if you know what i mean. Also do you have suggestion for software to create normal map for it in, i am assuming there must be string of normal maps created to replicate wave movement?

26. lazygunn

lazygunn

The stuttering seems to be the raycastall in the bouyancy script according to the profiler, it's regular and consistent so it does seem in relation to something like the fixed update, not sure what the solution would be. The warning is typical for a camera in deferred rendering mode, if you change it to forward this will disappear but if it wasn't previously a problem in deferred then something's up

The coloured edge to the gun looks a bit like the effects of the 'stereoscopic rendering' option in player options enabled, but it's also the appearance of the chromatic shift effect in the water shader too so that's odd

EDIT: Just read the information about grabpass, i might look into that, but an increasingly common usage of two cameras is the Oculus Rift (Or any other virtual reality headset) so this is a very problematic bug

Two problems, as such, i've identified are that the difference between gamma and linear rendering is very big, including the water level by several feet, not sure what aspect governs this, i wonder if some control maps are dependant on the colour space (bypass srgb sampling is not enabled i think?)

And the other is the surface used for the caustics rendering seems out of sync with the water surface, esp when the surface is changing quickly, which leaves a surface of shimmering following the wave breaks (very obvious on the breaking waves preset)

The wave generation is great though and much improved from last I saw it and altogether it's looking great

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  27. eskovas

eskovas

Well, i guess i was hoping for better news... so i guess any type of 2 camera setup is out of the question until Unity finds a way to fix this.

I set up only one camera and everything works now.
    I know i choosed to use a 2 camera setup like this for a reason but i don't remember what reason that was... hope nothing breaks :p

Anyway, here's a screenshot of everything working properly:
    image.jpg

28. chingwa

chingwa

janpec - The textures are replaceable yes. There is 1 normal map(rgb) and 1 matching heightmap (greyscale)... Suimono uses the normal for lighting and the heightmap for displacement, but it mixes them together at various sample frequencies to give the wave movement effect. There's various software that can be used to create normal maps... crazybump comes to mind... personally I usually just use the Nvidia plugin for photoshop to convert heightmaps into normal maps... it's a bit utilitarian, but it works well. I've had my eye on Ndo, from the Quixel Suite guys... I haven't played with it yet but it looks awesome :)

lazygunn - the camera problem isn't a multi-camera issue per se... it's very specific to deferred rendering and having one camera try to overlay another with the depth-only clear flag... so it's a combining issue. Having multiple cameras in general isn't a problem, even in deferred. Oculus Rift shouldn't be affected. :)

I spent a lot of time getting the heightfield calculations consistent between gamma and linear... could have swore it was all working properly, you're gunna make me cry man! :( if you get a chance could you post a list of your settings... color space,camera rendering, dx11/dx9, unity version, etc?

I'll look into the caustics rendering/offset... I'm sure this could be tweaked a bit.

eskovas - that looks gorgeous! :D That scene is waaay too laid back for a shooter, maybe you should turn your game into a fishing adventure... or a corona drinking simulator. :) You can have two cameras, just not "combining" cameras as described above. I can continue to look into this, but I can feel the old "why?! Unity!? WHYYY???" familiar feeling creeping up on me as a I start to exhaust my options.

As I mentioned before you could probably get around the whole issue by feeding the sky from the first camera into a rendertexture, and then project the RT onto a plane for the second camera... but this is just a hack and doesn't actually solve the issue.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  29. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahoy, i was using the pro/dx11 shader and switching between linear and gamma from there, the difference in colour space for any control textures should be mitigated by enabling 'bypass srgb sampling' in the advanced texture import dialogue (the heightfield textures should then be the same in either colour space as far as I gather) but i'll check this myself too

The caustics level seemed to be tied to accuracy issues and this again might be down to colour space differences with any control textures

The only addition I can think of, which I may have missed, regarding wave generation is some edged directionality to indicate a level of 'choppiness' but I think Suimono has reached the point where I want to start getting stuck into it again knowing no huge changes are coming now and some of your features really are excellent and invite some further work (breaking waves = excellent apart from the caustics mismatch) so i'll probably get back to you on this!

30. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ooop to add! Heightfield stuff fixed, removed gamma correction from the two cgincs and enabled the 'bypass srgb sampling' for the 'tex_waveheight' texture

Edit: with some shame I have to admit you may have to tweak your presets now, but least its fixed

31. chingwa

chingwa

OK, I see what you were talking about... I loaded the dx11 version and switched between linear and gamma while playing the scene and there were some real issues with gamma... however if I stop the scene, switch to gamma, and then play all runs just as expected... without tweaking any of the cgincs or textures... can you double check this for me on your end? This ONLY happened when I started in linear space, pressed play, and then tried to switch to gamma. If I start in linear, press play, and switch all is fine.

Edit: I just tested it again and now both seem to work fine for me... :/ Is anyone else experiencing gamma/linear issues?

32. lazygunn

lazygunn

I've checked and it's as you say, it only switches heights when changed at runtime, but i'd argue that control maps should be linear on principle, as gamma correction is dependent on display colour space whereas linear is the 'true' value of a pixel. Hence colour textures which change the appearance of something that will appear similar to the display they were authored on have gamma correction applied and control maps, which are used to drive literal values should be linear. It's a bit of a pain in the arse I admit, but going into a new gen PBR age, these sort of things become increasingly important.

On a slightly related note, as the Jove 2 alpha uses a similar atmospheric model to the ocean renderer i used with an old suimono 2 beta i'm wondering if I can get Suimono working with Jove 2 nicely with the ocean brdf used in the old renderer, it would give an integrated sky option for Jove users of Suimono maybe

John-G likes this.
  33. John-G

John-G

Having a strange bug, anytime a change a water setting Loose foam. Even if I copy a preset to a new one and don't change anything the copy will have no foam rendered.
    Not sure if it applies to the warning I posted earlier???
    Too many layers used to exclude objects from lighting. Up to 4 layers can be used to exclude lights, while your lights use 5: 'TransparentFX' 'Ignore Raycast' 'Water' 'UI' 'Unnamed 8'

If i edit one of the original presets in any way it too loses the foam, and no way to get back to original setting with the foam. Down to my last preset now that has foam rendering.

Seems to be a bug when editing presets in editor mode while not playing. If you do the changes while playing and save you dont loose the foam.

Getting this error on one of my preset saves:
    FormatException: Unknown char: (
    double.Parse (string,System.Globalization.NumberStyles,System.IFormatProvider) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Double.cs:209)

34. chingwa

chingwa

John G. - That sounds very strange, and shouldn't be related to the light warning at all. first I would just double check that the foam color actually has an alpha setting... but In fact I can't reproduce it this bug here.. can you give me exact steps to try? Is it as simple as clicking on a preset that has foam, and then hitting the +New button?

I don't suppose you have any other errors popping up in the console?

You can also try deleting the .txt files in the "resources" folder and then reimporting the preset files from the original package file... hopefully the foam will come back in this case. (though yeah, any custom presets you've made will go poof).

lazygunn - well I can't argue with your logic about bypassing the srgb rendering. I'll look into this for the next update.

35. John-G

John-G

What I did is with Editor in stopped mode:

1: click on a preset eg Deep Dark Ocean, 2: Copy preset to new preset using +New 3: Change the setting eg Depth Colour settings. 4: Click on + to save 5: Press play and waves now have no foam.

Doing the steps above while editor is in play mode keeps the foam. But at any stage if you make a change while not running you loose the foam.

I'll try the deleting txt file as it may be corrupt and hence whats also causing the error I'm also getting when I use my saves preset.

36. chingwa

chingwa

OK, I understand exactly what's happening now.

Indeed what is happening is it's saving the foam color without the alpha. If you play the scene, click on your new preset and go to the foam settings panel you can raise the alpha color back up to where you want it, just resave your preset while it's still playing.

The reason this is happening is because suimono turns off the foam alpha when the scene isn't playing. The reason it does this is because unity's scene view camera doesn't respect the camera z-buffer(dunno why this is.. it just is :/) and foam appears to flood the surface when not playing, so I programmed it to turn off to get around this. But it looks like I didn't think far enough ahead to save the correct setting in the preset... :/

In general it's probably best to save presets while playing... but it shouldn't be required, I'll write a workaround for this. As far as I can tell the rest of the preset should be working fine, I don't think you have to worry about corrupted files. Thanks for the detailed info!

John-G likes this.
  37. John-G

John-G

Ok that's great. Thanks for that.

38. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can Suimono react to particle rain?
    I want to use it with the new version of UniStorm 1.75 so when there is storm or rain i can see drop rings on the water.

39. eskovas

eskovas

Hello,

Just wanted to share a couple more images of Suimono in action :)
    I decided to inundate this place to see how it looked:
    water1.jpg
    water2.jpg

Suimono adapted very well to this scenario

40. chingwa

chingwa

That looks awesome eskovas... Glad to see it's working well for you! Big thanks for sharing those pics.

eskovas likes this.
  41. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

How well would this work on a spherical, or non planar surface? For instance an ocean around a whole planet.

42. chingwa

chingwa

RandAiThor - No, It won't show water splashes automatically, and I don't think you could really setup the fx_object on a rain particle system either. I'll see if this could be done with Tenkoku... but it would require some custom programming so I don't think you'd be able to do it with Unistorm.

trudeaudm - certain aspects of Suimono assume that the Y-direction is "up", so wave generation and interaction/underwater switching won't work correctly on a spherical surface. She shader itself probably would look ok, but the other systems would break most likely.

43. Velo222

Velo222

Hi chingwa,

I'm looking for a water solution that will show waves interacting with the shore, such as cliffs and rocks. Can the Suimono system do this?

For example, if I have a body of water in a "crater" or surrounded on all sides by large cliffs, can the water be made to "hit" the cliffs and splash or create foam upon hitting the cliffs? I guess to put it another way, can the water interact with the Unity terrain system and geometry? If so, can you show a picture of this, maybe I'm missing it somewhere. Thank you.

44. John-G

John-G

Shore waves are supported, fx system would probably allow for partical based splashes of rocks also.

45. Velo222

Velo222

Hi John G.,

Thank you for that post, however if that is in response to my question, I did see that video, and it doesn't really answer my question in the way I'm wanting.

That shore is relatively flat, just like most of the other examples. I'd like to see how the system reacts to say, a wall for instance. Or a large cliff or rock jutting out, etc... And not just to relatively flat shoreline. Thank you though :)

46. chingwa

chingwa

Velo222 - Yes Suimono can do what you're asking, as far as rock/cliff splashes etc. I can put together an example to show you, but basically John G. is correct that you would need to setup some fx_object prefabs where you wanted the splashes to occur. There are some automatic foam effects on the water which you can see in the videos, but to really get the effects you want you'll need place some custom objects.

47. Velo222

Velo222

Ok thank you for the response. Ya it would be nice to see an example of it somewhere if you can, or have time. I know that would take a bit of time, but it might help other people out as well? However, I do take your word for it. Even if I have to set up several objects in order for the simulation to work that would be fine -- as long as it doesn't affect performance too much -- which I doubt it would.

My use-case is actually having an oval-shaped lake contained within a crater of sorts, where the lake is completely surrounded by cliffs. My current water system does absolutely nothing where the water comes in contact with the cliffs, and I'd like to have at least a little action going on there.

It looks like one of the better water simulations for Unity so far. :) Thank you.

48. John-G

John-G

Getting this after a while of editing my preset when I stop the editor and resart agin:

FormatException: Unknown char: (
    System.Double.Parse (System.String s, NumberStyles style, IFormatProvider provider) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Double.cs:209)
    System.Single.Parse (System.String s) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/Single.cs:183)
    SuimonoObject.PresetLoad () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:1507)
    SuimonoObject.Start () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:339)

49. chingwa

chingwa

That looks like a file corruption issue... you may need to reset the preset files from the original package. I don't suppose you noticed what specific attributes may have affected this? actually, can you email me your preset .txt files and I can run through them real quick... konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com

50. chingwa

chingwa

and Incidentally for anyone who's running this in Unity 5, it seems unity has made some changes to mesh collider support... thus currently buoyancy and other effects may not be working correctly in 5. I'll get this sorted out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.