Search Unity

SUIMONO Water System - 2.0 BETA Announcement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chingwa, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Cookimage,

currently this distance is hard-coded into the infinite size/positioning function, so right now it isn't possible to change without digging into code. I'm currently traveling, but when I get back I can add a customizable attribute so you can set this as needed. ill add this in the next update.
    --------------
    EDIT - this has now been added in beta 0.87, please see info regarding the "Infinite Scale" attribute a few posts below.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. cookimage

cookimage

Thanks allot much appreciated!

3. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

4. cookimage

cookimage

Here is a video showing some game play footage of our MMO game Neos Land we are doing using Suimono infinite ocean, we still am tweaking the ocean so it looks better but this can show you guys his water in action in a game.Very impressive system!

5. Julian-S

Julian-S

Looking great!

Chingwa, is it possible to set up buoyancy so that a boat could take jumps off of waves rather than just lock to the top of the wave height?

Thanks!

6. chingwa

chingwa

cookimage - that looks really nice! :D

julian s - it should be setup this way by default. the buoyancy uses Unity physics system so as long as your boat has enough speed you can launch across waves. try running the demo scene that comes with suimono and set the ocean to the dx11 waves setting, then run the boat around (hold shift for higher speed movement). you should be able to get the effect you're looking for, if not then let me know.

7. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Hi, chingwa,

Have a two question:
    1) At now suomono supports Custom mesh?
    2) Why when i disable caustics in Suimono module (sets number to 0(zero), i used caustics from RTP terrain shader) Unity completely freezes (not errors or crashes). How to disable caustics?

With best Regards, Leonid.

8. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Leonid,

I just checked setting the caustics to 0 here on my end and yes, it crashes for me too! :( I'll get this fixed ASAP. In the meantime if you want to turn off caustics completely you can instead go to the "_caustic_effects" game object (it's a child object of the 'SUIMONO_Module' object in your scene) and disable it.

You can use a custom mesh by going to the "Suimon o_object" game object (under SUIMONO_Surface), clicking on the MeshFilter component and giving it a new mesh here. Note though that depending on the mesh you give, some features of suimono may not work properly, the surface expects to have a flat mesh horizontal mesh as a surface.

----------
    EDIT - the caustics bug has been fixed, and is incorporated into the latest update (see below)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  9. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All, Suimono version 2.0 BETA 0.87 is now ready for download...

This update improves some calculations to the reflection, refraction and distortion calculations, as well as fixes a number of bugs, and adds a couple additional options in the inspectors.

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta

UPDATE: 6/5/2014 - 2.0 Beta Version 0.87 released
    • NEW - Added "Use Refraction & Blur FX" option under Performance Settings. Disabling this improves performance especially on Mac.
    • NEW - Added "Infinite Scale" attribute. This controls the size of the infinite ocean tiling under DX9, set this to a larger number to enlarge the detail tile.
    • CHANGE - Removed "Overall Scale" Attribute.
    • CHANGE - Improved Refraction and reflection distortion.
    • CHANGE - Improved reflection compositing.
    • CHANGE - Reformulated all presets concerning new tweaks.
    • FIX - "use UV Reversal" setting now works properly when underwater. Use this setting to fix inadvertently flipped visuals.
    • FIX - underwater water color now renders as set in the inspector.
    • FIX - color darkening on refraction and blur layers. Now refracts exactly what's under the surface.
    • FIX - setting caustics to "0" freezes Unity, this is now fixed.

10. chingwa

chingwa

I was asked via email about how Suimono interacts with different unity lighting and thought it was a great question so I'm gonna repost my response here...

In the image below you see a simple scene with 4 different light sources... a white Directional light, a Red Spot light, and a green and blue Point light. All these lights are attenuated and Suimono will calculate speculars for each of them.

Performance is in line with Unity's lighting modes, so forward rendering will take an additional calculation hit for each light source, while deferred rendering will only take a hit for one light source as they are all calculated together.

11. cookimage

cookimage

New look so far for our oceans for the Voxel based MMO game Neos Land we are working on using Suimono for water.

12. chingwa

chingwa

looks nice cookimage, thanks for sharing! :)

13. davem250

davem250

Hi chingwa,
    I have a question : how come it be that when i use the module in one of my levels, then i get a black screen which doesn't contain much water? i have tried and tried to figure out what the issue may be but no luck :(
    Oh, and btw, i do have the surface on but it reflects in a crazy size and with huge notices :( i just got the last beta today (didn't knew i could sign up before today)

Have made it work (need to close and re-open unity every time i make a change!) but now i really would like to remove the glass reflection thing and also the scene reflection from the water it is quite annoying in my project :p sorry for the long message but i do hope this will be customizable if not already, but if it is customizable then i would like to know how??? Thanks a lot in advance :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  14. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Dave, You've got some of the strangest bugs/issues I've ever seen! :D I admit I've never had anyone show me that Suimono was turning their screen completely black. Is this happening only when underwater, or all the time?

Can you give me your full system info...
    Unity Version? free or pro? OS/ platform? using dx11? using deferred or forward rendering?

15. John-G

John-G

Getting the following error when I try to delete a Preset that I saved.

Code (CSharp):
    1. ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex + length > this.length
    2. Parameter name: length
    3. string.Substring (int,int) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:356)
    4. SuimonoObject.PresetGetData () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:1696)
    5. SuimonoObject.PresetRename (string,string) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:1522)
    6. (wrapper dynamic-method) SuimonoObject.SuimonoObject$PresetRename$System.String$System.String (object,object[]) <IL 0x0001e, 0x000a9>
    7. Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.Invoke (object,string,object[]) <IL 0x0004c, 0x00133>
    8. UnityScript.Lang.UnityRuntimeServices.Invoke (object,string,object[],System.Type) <IL 0x00018, 0x000a6>
    9. suimono_object_editor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/EDITOR/suimono_object_editor.js:473)
    10. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor,int,bool,bool&,UnityEngine.Rect&,bool) (at C:/BuildAgent/work/aeedb04a1292f85a/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1124)
    11. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    Once this happens I can no longer use Sumiono as clicking anything causes the error.
    The prefab appears not to delete except for the name, which can no longer be changed.
    Where are the prefab settings saved? Can these be deleted manually?

EDIT: Found where the presets were saved to _PRESETS.txt under resources.
    I deleted the _PRESETS.txt.meta file and reloaded unity which fixed the issue.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  16. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm... is this occuring when deleting the last preset in the list? Or does it occur when deleting other presets higher up in the list as well? I had seen this error a while back but thought I had it fixed. I'll go back and check.

The presets are saved in the "Suimono 2/Resources" folder in a file called "_PRESETS.txt". Each preset has it's own line, so sure you could go in and delete things manually, just make sure there is no trailing carriage return on the last line.

17. chingwa

chingwa

In a worst case scenario you can simply delete the presets file and reimport the original one from the .unitypackage file. The error occurs because the expected file formatting is getting corrupted inadvertently.

18. John-G

John-G

Yes, was deleting the last preset. When I opened the _PRESETS.txt the last preset was indeed removed but it appears there may have been a carriage return still present. I backspaced to the last entry, the deleted the meta file and restarted.
    This fixed the issue :)

Also are General settings saving in presets. When I switch between my presets the Flow Direction, Flow speed and Foam speed do not update.

19. chingwa

chingwa

OK Great! I'm off to look at that "delete" code now... :D

20. Uzopoza

Uzopoza

Hi!
    I used SUIMONO 2.0 beta 0.87 and i have a trouble now with trees.
    White sticks, as a continuation of trunks.
    How can I fix it?

21. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Uzopoza, That's an odd one. I assume you're using Unity pro, can you tell me what version of Unity you're using, and whether you're on mac or pc?

22. Uzopoza

Uzopoza

I use Unity 4.5.0f6 Pro on PC

This white sticks not from all trees, only from some.
    For example - Cocos Palm from "Tropical Nature Pack"

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  23. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm.... I see. It's most likely do to the Tropical Nature tree using an edited tree shader. I have no way of knowing exactly what's in the shader, but in looking at the package contents on the Asset Store ( here ) it does indeed look like they're using a special shader.

You could try removing the "TreeCreatorBarkRendertex.shader" and "TreeCreatorLeavesRendertex.shader" files, as well as the "treeBarkShader" folder from your project, rstart unity, and see if that has any effect....?

24. Uzopoza

Uzopoza

Yes! Thank You very much!

25. chingwa

chingwa

OK Good! Though I wish I knew what was in that shader that was causing the white trees. Probably something to do with depth calculation, though I can't really imagine why. Anyway glad it's working now! :)

26. chingwa

chingwa

John G. - Sorry I missed this from before... Yes currently these settings are not saved with the presets. However I've had a number of requests to add them back in so this will be updated in version 0.88 (coming out soon!)

John-G likes this.
  27. John-G

John-G

Tks chingwa, another question does shore waves work in infinite ocean mode or is it only 3d waves mode?

28. chingwa

chingwa

Shore waves do work in infinite ocean mode.... however the shoreline generation relies on the resolution/size ratio of your water surface, and during infinite ocean mode this ratio probably needs to be larger... take a look at the "suimono_shorelineObject" object which is located as a child of the Suimono_surface object...

If you're not getting the shoreline waves you expect in infinite ocean mode, Increasing the resolution scale setting and hitting the "generate map" button may help.

John-G likes this.
  29. chingwa

chingwa

OK just FYI, I finally found and fixed this issue... BUG CRUSHED! :D Update will be included in version 0.88.

John-G likes this.
  30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

hey chingwa, is there a way i could set this up using a PBR shader such as alloy? And do you have plans to support Skyshop?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  31. Uzopoza

Uzopoza

Hi, Chingwa!
    I have a trouble :(
    I can not change color of water in Water Surface. After Play "Game" - colors come back to default :(
    How can I fix it?

32. chingwa

chingwa

Uzopoza - The best way to work with Suimono is by using the preset system. So for example...

1) run your scene...
    2) change your suimono settings while the scene is running...
    3) when you're happy, click on the "+ new" button under presets, this will save all your settings...
    4) press stop, then go back and select your new preset so it loads again when you press start.

It keeps resetting on you because it's loading a specific preset when you press play. you want to save your own preset and tell it to load that one when the scene plays. :)

33. chingwa

chingwa

Neptune - I haven't specifically looked into Alloy or Skyshop. I assume you want to use one of the IBL textures on the water?

KRGraphics likes this.
  34. Uzopoza

Uzopoza

Thank You very much!
    but I have new problem :(
    At a distance from the Lake - it appears strange white effect.
    Ocean is SUIMONO too, but it work very well!

35. virror

virror

You have any webplayer of the 2.0 beta version?
    Is it possible to change all parameters during runtime and switch as an example from water to ice?

36. chingwa

chingwa

virror - there isn't a webplayer demo of version 2.0 yet. I'll have one available once 2.0 is out of beta. Parameters can certainly be accessed during runtime with a small amount of coding. The easiest way though is to use the preset system and create 2 separate presets, one water, one ice, then you can call the "transition preset" function to switch between them.

Uzopoza - that looks like the shoreline foam setting somehow activating on your water surface. If you set the "shallow foam" attribute to 0, does it fix this?

37. virror

virror

Awesome! : )

38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I plan on using HDR in my levels, so yes, I want to use cubemaps.

39. John-G

John-G

How to include other cameras to render water shader?
    I have 2 side by side Lens with render to texture based cameras, I can only observe the water texture if I'm viewing the cameras from below the horizon an behind the boat, otherwise they show the water without the surface render.
    The scene view shows the cameras culled just like the boat, but I need these 2 render the sea texture.

This will be used on different cameras for Binoculars, Sextant and other scopes.
    :)

40. chingwa

chingwa

So... the render to texture cameras render the scene without the water? but then they render the water only when they are at a certain position? Can you tell me your cameras... are they using deferred or forward rendering?

41. chingwa

chingwa

I just tested this on my end using beta version 0.87 and multi cameras in general seem to work just fine. I'm not sure if it's a rendertexture issue or what, but the more info you can give me about your setup the better. the pic below shows a "sextant-like" setup 2 additional cameras right next to each other. Granted... I'm not using rendertexture here, I just changed the View Port Rect on the 2 additional cameras.

Oddly, I tried the same setup with the upcoming beta 0.88 and I got a result kind of like what you describe... in fact I couldn't go to deferred rendering at all without losing the water surface. I'll have to compare the shaders between the two versions and see what's up.

42. John-G

John-G

Hi Justin,

Indeed deferred rendering was the culprit, switched all cameras to forward and it worked.
    I sent a package to your noreply@tanukidigital.com not sure if you'll receive it if you want to see if render to texture is the culprit.
    Heading a way for a few days, so cant test any further for now.

43. chingwa

chingwa

ah yeah, that email isn't available to me at the moment... :( if you get the chance to resend to konnichiwa [at] tanukidigital.com I'll be happy to take a look at it.

44. John-G

John-G

Managed to find a spot with enought coverage to get a data connection.
    Away for the week on an island with very poor cellular coverage.
    But got that re-sent to that email address.
    Hopefully you can figure out a solution for deferred.

Now to get plenty of pictures of sea colours and waves to help tune my settings in sumino. :)

45. ZJP

ZJP

Wait..your tool can generate 'boat wakes' ?

46. John-G

John-G

Current beta has wakes alright plus a controller for adding different effects.
    Though wakes in current version are broke up if using waves in scene.
    But the best ocean system I've seen to date.

47. chingwa

chingwa

Hahaha, You know, I feel like I need a "research" trip myself.

But interestingly, when I run your rendertexture scene, I don't have the same issues as you get... the opposite actually... when I have the rendertexture cameras set to forward there's depth artifacts introduced, however when I switch them to deferred these artifacts go away... ?? BUT in deferred those 2 cameras have a reverse image problem... It's weird stuff. It happens both in dx9 and dx11. I'll continue to look into this.

Yes that's right :) Just as John G. mentioned there are still some issues with boat wakes when it comes to 3d waves, but on flat water surfaces it works very well. The new FX_OBJECT system developed for 2.0 is pretty powerful and you can design and add your own effects into the system as well.

48. John-G

John-G

That is indeed weird, I'll double check when I get back that the cameras are all set in forward mode. Only tried DX11, so will see if same happens in DX9.

Got some nice research material, looking forward to tweaking.

49. sipon

sipon

Is this Oculus Rift compatible ?

50. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, I know of a few customers using it with the Rift, though I don't have a dev kit myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.