Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SUIMONO Water System - 2.0 BETA Announcement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chingwa, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teila

Teila

Wow, this looks nice! I can't wait to see the multiple water examples. :) This has been on my wish list so long.

2. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Teila! I'm reposting it below, didn't realize I was at the bottom of the page...

I've been working recently on the advanced demo scene that will be shipping with the release version of Suimono 2.0. The demo features a full scene showing multiple water examples such as ocean, pond, rivers, and... lava! It also includes updated boat and character setup examples. Should be ready soon! I'm excited to finally get this out to everyone on the store, stay tuned!

3. GXMark

GXMark

Were the elevation bugs sorted out with the shader? Any ideas when 2.0 will be released?

4. chingwa

chingwa

I fixed some elevation bugs regarding reflection freezing... I think you've brought this up before. As far as I can tell that's all working. I haven't addressed any issues with thefar camera plane at high altitude, but this is more of a camera issue, bot a suimono issue specifically.

New version coming later today! :)

5. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0.0 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

With this update I'm going to be bringing the "Beta" status to a close and uploading Suimono 2.0 to the Unity Asset Store! Of course, this doesn't mean Suimono development is "done", by any means. You can expect continued improvements and bug fixes, as well as eventual support for Unity 5 once it's development cycle is more mature and they've addressed some known bugs on their end. I'd also like to add additional features in future versions as well. I'd like to thank everyone here for their help in bringing Suimono to where it is today... it wouldn't be nearly as developed without all the excellent and helpful feedback I've received over the past year!

The 2.0.0 release contains an advanced demo scene that has been in the works for a while. The advanced demo includes an updated boat setup example, a 3rd-person character setup example that shows water interaction (and swimming example), as well as a "game-like" interactive environment to show off multiple suimono surfaces in, including ocean, pond and river, and waterall examples.

In addition version 2.0.0 also includes a large number of bug-fixes and stability improvements. I spent a lot of energy tracking down and addressing latency and spiking issues, which will hopefully translate to a smoother performance footprint for your projects.

Note: The minimum required version for Suimono has increased from Unity 3.5.7 to Unity 4.3. Official support for 3.x was becoming untenable and according to official Unity statistics there aren't many people that are still using it anyway. If this is a problem for anyone then let me know and I can probably work out a custom solution to get 2.0.0 working for you in Unity 3.5.7.

Unity 5 beta notes: There is a confirmed bug in Unity5 beta 13+ that prevents Suimono from rendering properly. This bug still exists in the current Unity beta version 17. The Unity guys are on it and it will hopefully be fixed in the next beta release. For now I recommend using Unity 5 beta12 and below.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 12/22/2014 - Suimono Version 2.0.0 released
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • DEMO - Added Advanced Demo Scene Terrain and Objects.
    • DEMO - Added Character setup example and improved boat controller.
    • NEW - Code optimizations and large performance increase.
    • NEW - Added above water ambient sound handling. (see _sound_effects object)
    • NEW - Added River and Lava presets.
    • NEW - Added "Distance Range" attribute to fx_objects to improve performance.
    • NEW - Added New screen effect transition when going below water surface.
    • NEW - New improved blur algorithm for underwater effects.
    • NEW - Added underwater offset range to define transition sensitivity.
    • NEW - Added "Height Projection" attribute, controls Overall 3d wave height.
    • NEW - Added directional flow back to water surface.
    • NEW - Renamed "flow speed" to "wave speed". This effects wave turbulence.
    • NEW - Renamed "foam speed" to "flow speed". this effects water flow, including the foam.
    • FIX - Updated Foam transparency and distance rendering.
    • FIX - "GetFile" errors related to WebPlayer target.
    • FIX - Depth Rendering and foam artifacts under dx9/pro.
    • FIX - Updated splash particles texture and lighting.
    • FIX - Overall Brightness setting now works properly again.
    • FIX - Removed Circular gizmo drawing from nuoyancy object.
    • FIX - error selecting fx_Object particle systems.
    • FIX - Overlay Blend color settings now stacked correctly.
    • FIX - Faster underwater transition calculation.
    • FIX - Dynamic Reflections now reflect trees and other transparent objects correctly.
    • FIX - Improved color blending on ocean setting when using dx9.
    • FIX - Camera tracking errors on ocean setting. Fixes disappearing near ocean.
    • FIX - foam and wave speed now corresponds to the set scale.
    • FIX - Preset transition errors and smoothed out transition stepping.
    • FIX - console errors in Basic and mobile versions.
    • FIX - fx pink shader error in basic and mobile.
    • FIX - Dynamic Reflection now renders correctly, regardless of camera height.

John-G likes this.
  6. chingwa

chingwa

I'm making some updates to the documentation as well as some imagery and materials for submission to the asset store. Once it's accepted there, I'll likely be opening up a new thread in the asset store forum, just for Suimono 2.0 content. Until then feel free to make any replies here in this forum... I imagine the submission process will take a little while, especially with the upcoming Christmas holidays. I'll keep everyone posted!

John-G likes this.
  7. GXMark

GXMark

I'd like to be the first to congratulate you on such a well thought out and successful asset. I'm very excited with this water product and the continuous support that you have pledged to your user base.

Thanks again
    Mark

8. GXMark

GXMark

Suimono 2.0 Release Unity Pro Underwater bug

When attempting to go under the water in unity pro the screen goes white and crashes with
    the following error. This error does not occur in DX11 mode.

Shader error in 'Suimono2/effect_refractPlane': D3D shader assembly failed with: (85): error X6077: texld/texldb/texldp/dsx/dsy instructions with r# as source cannot be used inside dynamic conditional 'if' blocks, dynamic conditional subroutine calls, or loop/rep with break*.

Note : When i replaced effect_refractPlane from the previous version beta the problem went away.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  9. GXMark

GXMark

Suimono 2.0 Release DX11 Foam & Shader Bug

Running in DX11 mode there are nasty black patches on the ocean.

Also in all versions Unity Pro and DX11 the foam is sweeping across the ocean with the effect shown in the pic below looking very unrealistic.

10. Karearea

Karearea

Looks lovely! Quick query on the new buoyancy system: I have modular vessels, where there is a main hull, and also outriggers, separately added as children to a controller object at runtime. If these floating bodies had individual buoyancy set up, would they just work when dropped into a single game object?

11. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm... yep, I can confirm this here too. I don't get a crash but the underwater isn't rendering correctly. :( I'll see try and put up a new download asap.

I'll have to take a look into this a bit more... thanks for the bug report!

Also I've realized that importing the 2.0.0 update on top of an older version can cause a bunch of console errors, and some broken links. I'll send out a note suggesting a blank re-install for this version.

12. gecko

gecko

I imported the package, opened the demo scene, switched to iOS (to match my project platform). Is this what the river is supposed to look like? And there are some strange holes in the terrain.... No console errors.

Attached Files:

13. chingwa

chingwa

ddnharris - You should be able to setup buoyancy on your outriggers separately from the main hull, sure! However since you said the outriggers are child objects of the main object, I think they would be required to have their own rigidbody/colliders for optimal realism.

The buoyancy system is made up of a group of buoyancy node prefabs that you place around your boat object (and set as child objects of that object, usually). They add force at the set position to the parent object rigidbody, so you can place and configure these as you need to in order to simulate outriggers or other complex buoyancy effects.

14. chingwa

chingwa

gecko - the water surface looks about right for the iOS version, as it's necessarily a simplified version of the main shader. The advanced demo scene itself was made for higher end systems, and is not really optimized for mobile. The holes you're seeing in the terrain are probably due to the terrain shader being used for the demo. you can switch it to use a mobile version of the terrain shader (look under demo-->terrain-->mat_terrain to change the materials' shader to a simpler version, such as "diffuse"), which may get rid of the holes you're seeing.

I don't recommend trying to run the demo scene on your device though, as again it isn't optimized for it. Importing the water surface into a scene optimized for mobile should work fine though.

15. Karearea

Karearea

Thanks- I always have a given number of modular parts, just the shape/dimensions change. So I would probably keep the node prefabs within the parent object anyway, and use get/set position to reposition them according to the parts added.

Any chance of putting up a web player of the 2.0 example scene? I've had the asset on my watch list for ages, and will probably pick it up early in the new year.

Cheers,
    Nick

16. GXMark

GXMark

If you pan your camera across the ocean in Unity Pro (not tested DX11) you get gaps between the surface and far ocean issues as shown in Suimono Release 2.0.

Been retesting this issue and can't reproduce it which is rather strange! But it seems to be related to camera grazing angles with the ocean.

Reflections are working magic now by the way.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  17. chingwa

chingwa

:) Good to hear! I can't reproduce the above gap issue either. I've tried all sorts of rotations, camera FOVs etc. Let me know if you run into it again!

18. chingwa

chingwa

ddnharris - I'll be posting a downloadable demo which you can run on your computer of the included example scene. It's a bit big for webplayer and I was getting some unfavorable performance from the webplayer as well because of the static objects in the scene. Having a downloaded file will give better performance insight anyway... Should be ready as soon as I can submit the update files to the store, stay tuned.

19. GXMark

GXMark

One question i do have. I seem to get stronger reflections from my trees on the ocean when the Reflection Strength slider is nearer 0. Is this correct? When i increase the slider their seems to be more ripple/or refraction in the reflection bleeding out to white in places on the ocean?

20. chingwa

chingwa

This sounds about right. You don't necessarily want the reflection to be all the way up, as it get's more and more distorted the further the slider goes. 0 will be no refraction effects in the reflection at all, and will look strange on 3d waves, but 1 will likely be over-refracting.

Edit... Also, you can change the "surface roughness" setting to give more or less micro-refraction. Turning this all the way down should give a much smoother looking water than otherwise.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014
  21. GXMark

GXMark

OK This shader bug surfaced its ugly head again just now in release 2.0 Nothing special in the settings other than using Unity Pro Mode. I noticed the bug then lifted the camera up a little more to see how bad it would become. I think you can see from the picture its getting pretty bad !

I tried turning dynamic reflections on and off which does not seem to have any effect on this issue.

Also click through different presets does not have any effect on this issue.

Manipulating edge blending does not have any effect either.

When moving the camera out to sea further the bug follows the camera since its occuring at the surface boundary with the far ocean.

Joking aside, here is the screen shot.

Found out more info about it. Making the players camera FOV around 60 causes the edges of the surface to show up. This is why you probably cant see it.

22. chingwa

chingwa

OK, I see it too, but I have to raise the FOV of the camera pretty high before it becomes visible. keeping FOV at or below around 60 (at least for me) prevents this from showing. I'll take a look at perhaps a better blending technique for the far ocean... like a radial blend instead of this flat planar blend. stand by...

John-G likes this.
  23. GXMark

GXMark

The water system should not really fail over the FOV!

In a way i was wondering as to this design decision to try and integrate a smallish plane with a larger plane and trying to blend the two together? Does triton ocean system attempt to do this? In other words making the surface object much larger and basing it on occlusion under terrain and far distance loding would be probably better.

Another issue im having is stripey pixelations occuring down the screen on the water. I can confirm this is an issue because it does not occur on the terrain or the sky. Here is a picture showing the issue.

24. Archania

Archania

Fantastic job on the release. Hope unity fixes the issue with 5 soon.

25. GXMark

GXMark

Some notes on transitioning between presets.

Firstly, some care is needed to smooth lerp the surface transparency at a rate that does not show the boundaries between the far plane and surface plane which is noticeable on some of the preset transitions.

Transparent water transitions need slowing up such that they transition at the same speed.

Think about putting PresetDoTransition() into a Coroutine() to spread the smooth lerping over the framerate in the game. I do this with sky transforms with lots of success.

Similar to :-

IEnumerator LerpSkyFloat(float duration)
    {
    float smoothness = 0.02f;
    float progress = 0; //This float will serve as the 3rd parameter of the lerp function.
    float increment = smoothness/duration; //The amount of change to apply.

while(progress < 1)
    {
    // Smooth lerp here, e.g.
    tod_sky.Day.AdditiveColor = Color.Lerp (_day_additive_color, day_additive_color, progress);

progress += increment;
    yield return new WaitForSeconds(smoothness);
    }
    return true;
    }

26. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0.01 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

This release fixes a few critical problems (found with the great help of GXMark, above! thanks!) with underwater rendering under dx9 mode, as well as distance blending with the infinite ocean setting. Usually I would wait a bit to release a minor update like this, but I had reports of unity crashing along with the above.

For those who've already downloaded version 2.0.0 I have a small hotfix file I can send you that installs directly on top of this version that will bring you up to date, so you don't have to re-download the whole package. Just send me an email and I'll send you back the file ASAP.

NOTE: There have been some changes between the last beta and version 2.0.0+ that may cause some console errors if you upgrade a beta version to the full release version. I recommend, when possible, to do a clean install of version 2.0.0+ by removing the Suimono 2 folder from your project, and then installing the new version.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 12/23/2014 - Suimono Version 2.0.01 released
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • FIX - Underwater rendering and crashing under dx9 mode.
    • FIX - flowmap generator wasn't sending generated texture to shader.
    • FIX - Ocean near/far blend issues with FOV and extreme angles.

27. chingwa

chingwa

Ah yes, this is a good idea of course! I hadn't considered framerate instability when I wrote the lerping functions. I'll put this on the list for the next update.

28. Karearea

Karearea

Hi, I decided to go ahead with the purchase- I've spent so much on socks for uncles etc. lately that I felt I deserved better buoyancy/water! just for clarification, I've registered at the SUIMONO website, so I'd be better off waiting for confirmation and downloading 2.0.01 direct from there, correct?

29. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for your purchase ddnharris! Right,There's really no point downloading the current version off the Unity Asset Store, I just registered you for access through my website where you can get the latest version. Let me know if the instructions don't show up.

Once the 2.0 version is up on the store I'll be changing around the whole "beta" registration stuff, but right now even though it's technically finished that's still the best way to register for current file access.

30. Karearea

Karearea

Hi,

Thanks for setting up access. The buoyancy system itself looks ideal for my requirements.

I'll use the infinite 3D ocean. Because I also often have a view from aircraft, I'll need to set this fairly large, i.e. an infinite scale of 40 or so- it appears that the buoyancy doesn't update fast enough at this scale, I assume that's what the update speed in the buoyancy script is for?

31. GXMark

GXMark

Showing off the Suimono Version 2.0.01 Visuals from my Virtuoso Game

Integrated into GUI 4.6.1 running at 90 FPS

Crimzon Ocean

Karearea likes this.
  32. chingwa

chingwa

ddnharris - Yes, the smaller the number than the faster the buoyancy will update. This is here for performance reasons, so there is a bit of a trade off with faster updates, but you can find the right balance for your project.

For the ocean, make sure that the transform scale of the suimono_surface stays at the default (10,1,10), the ocean will fill out to the edges of your camera clip plane once you press play.

33. chingwa

chingwa

GXMark - it's beautiful! :)

34. chingwa

chingwa

Oh and by the way, for your UI it may make more sense to rename the "foam speed" to "flow speed", and the "flow speed" to "wave speed". This was a change I made in ver 2.0.0, basically the wave speed (formerly "flow speed") is the inter-wave turbulence setting, whereas flow speed (formerly "foam speed") you can think of as the directional speed, which affects the waves and the foam.

You don't need to make any coding changes, I just renamed the suimono ui to be more clear.

35. chingwa

chingwa

and oh yeah... :) :) :)

36. GXMark

GXMark

Will make the changes.

Many thanks this product ROCKS ! Keep the faith and he shall prosper !

I can't give enough thank you's for this 5 Star product. (You only gave yourself 3 smiley faces !)

Merry Xmas

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  37. Karearea

Karearea

So in theory, a smaller scale will need to tile out to the horizon more times, and will therefore be more expensive? Or, to look at it another way will be more dense per sq m.

I noticed in the 2.0 manual you mention the 3D infinite ocean is not yet fully functional with DX9? I can see the near tile fine, and I can actually see the distance mesh in the scene view but only get specularity showing on it. I'm targeting DX9, using Unity Free 4.6.1f1 on OSX 10.10.1

The Demo scene has the same issue.

Attached Files:

38. chingwa

chingwa

ddnharris - OK, I see there's a problem here. I'm emailing you an updated shader that should fix the distance rendering in Unity Free. Let me know how it works for you.

The "infinite scale" setting, I believe is now out of date as well (I'm gonna have to double check that!), as the original function of this variable is now handled automatically behind the scenes. The rendering load is pretty much the same regardless of the infinite render distance now.

The documentation is severely out of date. The ocean is working correclty now in dx9... I'll be updating all the docs later this week in anticipation for the 2.0 submission being accepted.

39. Karearea

Karearea

Hi Justin,

thanks very much for the email- that did the trick!

There does seem to be a bit of jitter as the main tile moves to follow the camera (to clarify, I'm in a seaplane travelling at a max speed of c.62 m/s, so pretty fast)- I've kept the scale 20 so you can't really see the transition edges, but the body of the tile itself jumps for a frame or so.

One last question, and I'm sorry to bother you so close to the holidays. Is there a best-practice setup for using the buoyancy script with other controllers? I have an aircraft component controlling the rigidbody, and it seems to be quite severely pushed around by the buoyancy objects it contains, even at altitude. Can they sleep as soon as they leave the water surface?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  40. GXMark

GXMark

Just tested suimono in Unity 5b18 without joy. It seems like unity still have not addressed this bug. Do we know what this bug is or what part of the shader code is being rendered wrongly? I'm assuming the DX11 shaders are different from the DX9 in someway yet the output result seems entirely different bug in the two modes?

In the context of suimono 2.0 being released unity probably needs a gentle nudge to get this fixed as from their updates it seems like a lot of their work is around GI and Mecanim updates.

41. chingwa

chingwa

GXMark - the problem is related to alpha channel declarations occuring in the lighting function. Up until beta13 Unity had no problems with this, but they made a bunch of shader changes in that version, and one of them is that any alpha channel settings from the lighting function get completely ignored. :( I've talked with a Unity tech directly, and it was confirmed as a bug, and it sounded like they were willing to change this back... but... no love so far.

FYI, Suimono needs to evaluate alpha in the lighting function because it needs to cross dot values from the viewDir, lightDir, and wave Normal position. I haven't found ways to get all this information in the main surface function, but if anyone can offer some advice, or a workaround I'm all ears!

Also if anyone wants to nudge Unity about this it's Bug Case number 650679. I'm only one person, but if a larger group starts complaining I'm sure it will get fixed faster.

42. chingwa

chingwa

ddnharris - usually the buoyancy object shouldn't be activating/adding force until it's below the wave surface. I'll go through the code and make sure I'm not missing something here...

43. GXMark

GXMark

Can you send me the link to the bug list in unity as the main issue tracker only covers up to 4.6

44. RobertOne

RobertOne

Hey!
    there is a weird bug in unity (4.5.5.f1) and suimono 2.0.0:
    the shoreline only works correct when i turn an image effect (like ambienO. or Tilt S***) on and off again. before that the whole ocean is covered with foam (like edge foam would be set to 0).

also i can not manage to get the shore white. its always black :/ (foam color 100% white/255,255,255,255)

also the prefab manager doesent work i can not create a new prefab or load one of the existing

Edit:maybe interesting: all oft that worked in beta .84 but there saving the changes was not possible

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  45. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm... The presets are working much smoother in the current version... If the presets manager isn't working it's likely the preset files may have gotten corrupted during the update. You can go into the suimono 2/resources folder and delete the preset txt files there completely, then reimport them from the 2.0.0 package.

As for the foam error... does this happen every time you play your scene? And turning the image effect on and off consistently fixes it? Also I assume you're using Forward rendering?

46. RobertOne

RobertOne

Worked with turning from Forward rendering to Deferred Lightning :)

still have a black shoreline somehow:
    suimonobug.png

and an error that says
    Too many layers used to exclude objects from lighting. Up to 4 layers can be used to exclude lights, while your lights use 5: 'TransparentFX' 'Ignore Raycast' 'Water' 'UI' 'Floor'

using 2.0.1 now - and on a mac with
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

47. GXMark

GXMark

This warning does not seem to affect my game. Is it a harmless warning message?

48. chingwa

chingwa

I thought it might be a forward rendering thing, It's kind of an aged system at this point, and one reason Unity5 is going full deferred by default. I'll take a look and see if I can build in a workaround though, Suimono shouldn't be breaking just because of a forward render pass setting.

As for the "too many layers" warning... it's a deferred rendering thing. It's most likely being caused by the caustic lights. under Suimono Module check out the "caustic_effects" sub-object. You can change the "use these layers" setting to set which game layers the caustics render against. The problem with deferred rendering is it only allows you to turn off up to 4 layers. I'm not sure why this is, and on my end it didn't seem to have any real game effect either. I can still build projects as well so I'm not sure why unity throws the error. Making sure the above setting is rendering against most of your game layers should make it go away though.

The black shoreline... it looks like it's just the foam color not being set properly. Not quite sure why this would be, as I see your foam color is set to white. Did you try changing out the preset files? It seems like, if there's an error, it may not be filling the foam color attribute properly... but I'll look into this on my end as well.

49. RobertOne

RobertOne

Okay, for for the advise. if deferred Lightning is solving that problem iam totaly fine with that:

about the black shoreline problem:
    it seams something is wrong in my project. the whole preset manager is not working there but when i create a new project and import the SUIMONO package there everything works fine.
    So I erased the whole SUIMONO WATER SYSTEM Folder in my project and imported it again (before that i just "flashed" every update over each other) but that doesent helpe. Preset Manager still not working (also not in the Demo Scene). Do you maybe have any advice for this? Cause setting up the whole project again would took days for me :/

50. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Robert. It's really strange it would work in one project and not in another... and not in the demo either?? I wonder if there's a project-specific setting that would be preventing this from working... I'll do some digging around here. Can you tell me what editor mode you have unity in for your project (standalone, webplayer, android etc.)? Also do you have any other red console errors that might be interfering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.