Search Unity

SUIMONO Water System - 2.0 BETA Announcement

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chingwa, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

Any word on the latest update? :)

ThunderTruck likes this.
  2. cookimage

cookimage

Wondering the same, been waiting a bit for it, and I don't care much having the bug in it which he is battling to fix.

3. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

yea iv been waiting for v0.89 for some time now, v0.87 has some coding errors that makes me unable to make a game build unless I remove Suimono completely and v0.88 distorts my previous settings also causing glitching and crashes during test play. Sooooo yea need a newer version :p

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  4. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0 BETA 0.89 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta

Note:
    The minimum required version for Suimono has increased from Unity 3.5.7 to Unity 4.3. Official support for 3.x was becoming untenable and according to official Unity statistics there aren't many people that are still using it anyway. If this is a problem for anyone then let me know and I can probably work out a custom solution to get 0.89 working for you in 3.5.7.

Unity 5 beta notes: As mentioned earlier this week, there is a confirmed bug in Unity5 beta 13 and 14 that prevents Suimono from rendering properly. The Unity guys are on it and it will hopefully be fixed in the next beta release. For now I recommend using Unity 5 beta12 and below.

Thanks everyone for your patience! As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 11/27/2014 - 2.0 Beta Version 0.89 released
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    • NEW - Improved Android and iOS Shaders.
    • NEW - Underwater sound object now plays correctly. Added new default underwater audio file.
    • NEW - New color decoding algorithm to work in conjunction with Tenkoku.
    • FIX - Stuttering issues with Infinite ocean now fixed.
    • FIX - Infinite Ocean Mode under dx9 now scales to horizon properly.
    • FIX - Water Edge Blend setting now working correctly again.
    • FIX - Foam and edge color preset saving bug, now saves alpha correctly.
    • FIX - Fx_object now plays specified sound file properly.
    • FIX - Caustics were not initializing properly (strange angles, and placement issues).
    • FIX - Caustics objects were rendering above the water line.
    • FIX - Flow direction was not being saved to presets correctly, causing file corruption.
    • FIX - Saving presets when not in play mode was excluding foam settings.
    • FIX - NpShape:SetFlag error in Unity 5+. Now decouples water physics interactions from other layers.
    • CHANGE - simplified normal calculations.
    • CHANGE - dx11 ocean setting now renders in tiles, like dx9 ocean setting.
    • CHANGE - Deprecated Edge Setting and Edge Color setting, and removed from editor.
    • CHANGE - Removed auto tesellation setting.

John-G likes this.
  5. John-G

John-G

Excellent, hope this sorts my dx11 ocean. Tilling feature sounds good.
    Also Truesky fixed the transparency issue so full waves available. :)

6. malteins

malteins

Hi Chingwa, I just installed version 0.89 but i get this error. How can I go about it?
    Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js(1495,50): BCE0019: 'GetFiles' is not a member of 'System.IO.DirectoryInfo'.

7. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Malteins,
    When is this error showing up...? Just while playing your scene, or does it show up even in the editor view? Or is it only during a build/webplayer?

8. malteins

malteins

This happens, within Unity, only by importing the package. A soon as it is imported I get the mentioned error in the Editor. Thanks!

9. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi great package but is there any tutorials for this package because when i view the videos of this package they look absolutly excellent but when i do it it looks nothing like them. As you see in the image it doesnt look right and i don't get waves like in that last video on this forum so i think a tutorial would be great thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• help.jpg
      help.jpg
      File size:
      956.9 KB
      Views:
  10. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Wendy,

I don't have a setup tutorial for version 2 yet, though I will be making one soon. In the meantime I can give you a few setup tips that may help you with this... (you're using Unity free correct?)

1) switch the ui... go to the Suimono_Module object in your scene and uncheck the "use Dark Skin" setting. This will match the Suimono UI to the light grey UI in the free version.

2) pick the dx11 version target... (you may have already done this) Even in the free version of Unity you can use dx11, choose "Unity dx11" under the Unity Version Target drop-down menu. dx11 allows you to have higher res waves via tesellation.

3) Scale the Water Surface... (this is likely your main issue right here!) to use Suimono as an ocean, it's important to not scale the water surface. Reset the surface to the default scale of (10,1,10), then under General Settings, change the surface type to be "infinite 3d ocean". It won't scale properly in editor mode, but once you play your scene it will transition into a horizon-to-horizon ocean.

4) play your scene and adjust... Now play your scene. You should see a full ocean with more detailed 3d waves closer to the camera view. You can adjust all the suimono settings from here and see them update in realtime. when you're happy with your water, go down to the "Preset Manager" tab and click the "+new" button to create a new prefab, OR click the "+" button next to an existing prefab to overwrite it with your current settings.

Take a look at the above, especially #3, and let me know if you still have any trouble.

11. chingwa

chingwa

malteins - I can't reproduce this error here... :( Can you tell me what version of Unity you're using? and what Operating System? It may be more specific to you're setup....

12. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

I did all that but it still looks the same. Is it possible to get the water looking like the file uploaded in the free version of unity. It would most suit my level

Attached Files:

13. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0 BETA 0.90 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta

Note: The minimum required version for Suimono has increased from Unity 3.5.7 to Unity 4.3. Official support for 3.x was becoming untenable and according to official Unity statistics there aren't many people that are still using it anyway. If this is a problem for anyone then let me know and I can probably work out a custom solution to get 0.90 working for you in 3.5.7.

Unity 5 beta notes: There is a confirmed bug in Unity5 beta 13+ that prevents Suimono from rendering properly. This bug still exists in the current Unity beta version 16. The Unity guys are on it and it will hopefully be fixed in the next beta release. For now I recommend using Unity 5 beta12 and below.

UPDATE: 12/7/2014 - 2.0 Beta Version 0.90 released
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    • NEW - Improved Underwater Rendering (surface transparency, fog, and refractive effects).
    • NEW - Updated Demo Terrain Textures.
    • NEW - Improved Mobile Shaders for better surface visuals.
    • NEW - Updated fx and buoyancy object icons.
    • FIX - Refraction bleeding issues on foreground objects now reduced.
    • FIX - Improved performance tweaks relating to SuimonoGetHeight() function.
    • FIX - Improved performance tweaks relating to buoyancy, and fx_objects.
    • FIX - Set all caustics at static height (clamps caustics below surface).
    • FIX - Errors with SSAO image effect generation (changed automatic camera depth settings).
    • FIX - Improved specular reflections at extreme angles.
    • FIX - "Not allowed to access vertices on mesh..." error. Related to static object classification.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

14. chingwa

chingwa

wendy - The free version of Unity lacks support for a few technologies that Suimono takes advantage of to render at it's highest levels of fidelity. As such you won't be able to get the translucency, refraction and advanced depth/foam that you see in the posted screenshot. However you should be able to get it to render better than what you've shown me. You can see a comparison between using Suimono with Unity and Unity Pro over on my forums here...

http://tanukidigital.com/forum/index.php?topic=448.0

15. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Ok i thought maybe it was because i have the free version but the one in the picture in the free unity version looks way way better than mine though.

16. ThunderTruck

ThunderTruck

Hi,
    the foam don't move in Unity 4.5.5 pro dx11

17. chingwa

chingwa

Wow, you're right! That was a bit of an oversight on my part. I'll get the downloads fixed up as soon as I can, but in the meantime if anyone wants/needs to fix this themselves they can open up the SuimonoObject.js script file, and un-comment lines 1185 and 1186.... (I had them commented out for testing and forgot to put them back on)

Code (JavaScript):
    1.     thisrendererComponent.sharedMaterial.SetTextureOffset("_FoamTex",Vector2((foam_dir.x*Time.time*animationSpeed * foamSpeed)+setSpace3.x,(foam_dir.y*Time.time*animationSpeed * foamSpeed)+setSpace3.y));
    2.     thisrendererComponent.sharedMaterial.SetTextureOffset("_FoamOverlay",Vector2((-foam_dir.x*Time.time*animationSpeed * foamSpeed *0.5)+setSpace3.x,(-foam_dir.y*Time.time*animationSpeed * foamSpeed *0.5)+setSpace3.y));

18. chingwa

chingwa

wendy - how does the water look when you play the included demo scene? (make sure to switch the unity version target from "unity pro dx11" to "unity", or "unity dx11")

19. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Yeah my water is way better than the demo and it still doesnt look like that one where you do the version comparison i took a screen shot 1 in the demo game and 1 in the editor

Attached Files:

20. wendymorrison

wendymorrison

Hi i use unity version 4.6 could this be the reason why im having trouble with suimono water system and how would i upgrade from to suimono water system 090

21. chingwa

chingwa

I'm not quite sure what's happening there in your screenshots... it certainly looks like it isn't rendering properly. As if the water isn't calculating the Normal maps. You can try upgrading to 0.90 and see if that has any effect (though it should be working much better regardless.)

Upgrading is usually pretty straight-forward. You can usually just install the new update on top of the current version...
    1) download and unzip version 0.90.
    2) go to Assets --> Import Package --> Custom Package... and select version 0.90.
    3) when the import dialog comes up hit "ok" and it will import and overwrite the new files.

Every so often i get a report of errors that are caused by the upgrade process. Because of this, when possible, I recommend deleting the Suimono folder from your project first and then installing the new version (as above) into your project.

22. chingwa

chingwa

malteins - OK I was able to look into this a bit more.... is your Unity target platform set to Webplayer by any chance?

23. GXMark

GXMark

Foam issue on Unity Pro with Beta 0.90

The foam takes up the entire water surface object.

However, underwater caustics much improved without refraction issues and no distortion errors around objects with ocean in background that i can see.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  24. chingwa

chingwa

Whoa... say what? :( Can you tell me your specs?
    -Unity Version
    - dx9 or dx11?
    - forward or deferred?

Also make sure to double check that the Unity Version target on the Suimono_Module object is set correctly after the update...

25. GXMark

GXMark

This was what i did which was the same as for 0.89

1. Deleted the old Suimono 0.89 folders and hierarchy info.
    2. Restarted Unity without Suimono
    3. Downloaded and Imported Suimono 0.90
    4. Using Unity Version 4.6 as i did with 0.89
    5. Use Unity Pro without DX11
    6. Linear Lighting with Deferred Rendering
    7. and i get that everytime even tried reinstalling it from fresh unity copy

8. Tried DX11 and it works fine but i don't want to use this because its drives my FPS down too much.

26. chingwa

chingwa

OK seems to be a dx9 issue. I sent you an email with some updated shaders which I think will fix the problem...

27. GXMark

GXMark

Here is a DX11 of some pics im getting with 0.90. Even got snow landing on the water which im proud about hahahahha

It's Christmas !
    Yes these updated shaders for unity pro have solved the foam problem.

28. GXMark

GXMark

3rd person camera interaction with the water line.

I've noticed that sub merging under water has some kinda of issue in that the transition does not look correct. Its hard to explain but there is a 1 second underwater view without any water which looks odd before it switches. The same situation does not occur when coming out of the water. The screen effects played as one is coming out would probably look good going into the water as well. This would probably hide the anomaly better.

29. chingwa

chingwa

Right, the underwater plane that overlays the depth fog and other underwater effects doesn't render while above the water surface. So if you get close enough to the water surface you'll sometimes see below the water surface without these effects. I could build in a "transition threshold" function, so you can specify how close/far from the water when the transition happens...

This is the way games like GTA5 handle it... if you play or watch some videos near the water surface you don't ever get super close to the water surface when transitioning... like it skips about 0.25 meters in and just goes right to underwater.

I like the idea of some kind of transition overlay effect while going into the water, but I think it would ideally be different than the effect coming out of the water. Perhaps some kid of overall screen blur that fades quickly from being super-blurry to normal underwater view....

30. GXMark

GXMark

I think your analysis on this issue is spot on and it does require some buffering transitional feature because everything else about Suimono is interactive in nature and its actually an important event going into the water.

You mentioned screen blur and the 0.25 meters, in practice we tend to momentarily close our eyes when we enter under water so something that compares to this kinda feeling. I think its wise avoiding moving the camera or player in anyway as networking becomes more a challenge. I like either the idea of a momentary blur which camouflages the issue. Or some build up of splash on the screen that hides it. (maybe abit of blur and spray droplet screen effect).

While i'm here writing, i have noticed that i don't seem to get very strong screen reflections on the surface of the water when i have trees next to it. I have played around with this for a while now and can barely see it when playing around with the dynamic reflection adjusters. Would it be possible for you to look into this issue or post some screen shots of a tree or two next to the shoreline ocean to check it out?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  31. GXMark

GXMark

Water Preset Transitions, Beta 0.90

What does the numeric 10 mean is it seconds?

When i try to transition between water preset i always get this error

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Cannot exceed length of string.
    Parameter name: startIndex
    System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex, Int32 length) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:353)
    SuimonoObject.PresetGetColor (Int32 presetCheck, System.String presetKey) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:1688)
    SuimonoObject.PresetDoTransition () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:2085)
    SuimonoObject.LateUpdate () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:551)

32. GXMark

GXMark

Here are some more issues with the surface object in beta 0.90.

DYNAMIC REFLECTION BUGS

Dotted Red Line - This is occurring at the edge boundary with the surface object.

Surface Coloring Problem - There is a distinct difference in color between the surface object and the rest of the ocean in the distance.

Split Sun Reflection Issue - Notice the sun has a reflection on the surface object but not the far distance part of the ocean. Sunset will look very wrong if looked from a mountain top for example.

Reflection movement issue - If you pan your camera around focusing on the reflection of the sun for example it buffers and moves with the camera movement. Similar to taking a snapshot of the water reflection then translating it across the screen. Very weird issue on screen.

I don't think Suimono has really been tested with other than surface and under water level examination, slight elevations cause major issues with the dynamic reflection shaders.

Other than these remaining issues looks like a release level product.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    John-G likes this.
  33. chingwa

chingwa

I went back and double checked the tree rendering and you're right, there were some problems with the reflection code. I made some updates and got it working again for the next update...

I haven't been able to recreate the ocean near/far issues as dramatically as you show in your screenshot. However there were some discrepancies between the dx11 and dx9 versions which had to do with color and reflection rendering. I have these fixed for the next update and hopefully they address these issues that you've brought up.

As for the slow reflection update... this sounds similar to an issue I've come across when using multiple cameras in a scene along with grabpass shaders. (suimono uses grabpass) So, question... are you using the UFPS system, or are you using multiple scene cameras?

34. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, the number is how many seconds the transition takes. And yes, the water transitions are completely whacked in 0.9 :( I'll get this patched up soon.

35. GXMark

GXMark

That reflection is beautiful and would be a great fix. Any ideas what causes the red dotted edge line? Also the reflection on the far ocean not working correctly as shown with sun. Any ideas on this part?

I don't use uFPS but do have some additional orthographic cameras which do on screen effects like terrain projectors , drops and trails. I use the Time Of Day Sky Dome system for my sky's. From what it seems the grabpass is lagging behind. I will try removing other scene cameras for a test.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  36. GXMark

GXMark

Can you let us know when the next beta update will be available. I appreciate its not possible to get them out that quick given the difficult nature of the shaders etc

37. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Mark,

The next update is coming in the next day or two. I'm also planning this to be the first official 2.0 release submitted to the asset store, but it will be available to current beta users right away.

38. EthanC

EthanC

I decided to make one more appeal by posting the issue on this thread incase anyone else had any insight on the issue. I really, really want to give Suimono a good review, it's just it plain doesn't work for me, never has, and it's issues seem to be beyond my ability to fix.

The biggest of these is the ongoing issue of "the water disappears when close to you". I can't explain it any other way than that. It'll always be a certain distance from the main camera no matter what. The only way to temporarily fix it is to run the game in the editor, delete the damn suimono surface from your scene and put it back in, then it's fixed.. Until you leave the game, then it's broken again. I've been screwing with this for months upon months through a dozen updates and nothing fixes it.

I really don't want to shell out for Triton with it's huge pricetag, but I don't see what other options i have because this game is supposed to be like 75% water, and if your water embarrass you, what else can you do if you hope for any kind of professional release.

Here's hoping someone has some insight.

39. Teila

Teila

Have to say, Ethan, your world looks beautiful, even with the water issues.

40. GXMark

GXMark

Ethan,

Its probably obvious this, but given you know when you go below the water line, can't you program to lerp the camera to a distance from the player such that you don't see this happen. I mean avoidance strategy is another option you have.

Plus there looks to be some kinda of clipping plane issue you have to.

41. EthanC

EthanC

@ Teila - Thanks for the compliment :) That's world machine + RTP3 + A lot of work lol

@ GXMark - This is actually above the water line. It does look just like a clipping plane doesn't it. But it isn't. Like i said, if you delete the suimono surface and drag a new one in, it works fine. But only until you load the scene again then it's fragged again.

42. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Ethan, It really seems like the near ocean object just completely fails to render. I don't know if this is due to any specific project or camera settings, but I would definitely look and make sure of the following...

1) under Suimono_Surface there's an object called SuimonoObject. Make sure this object stays enabled and that it's renderer component is also staying enabled as you play your scene.

2) make sure this object is on the "water" layer and that your main scene camera is also set to render the same "water" layer.

3) make sure this object is NOT marked as "static"

4) to rule out any camera and/or controller issues, you can try adding a new camera to your scene temporarily, without any camera controllers or other components effecting it.... so it's just pointing at the ocean. Does this camera render the ocean properly?

5) finally, if nothing else seems to help the only other possibility I can think of is something else in the scene is over-rendering this object. You can try changing the shader settings to force this object to render on top... Open up the "shaders/suimono2_water_pro" file and edit each of the three render passes as follows...
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. Tags {"RenderType"="Opaque" "Queue"= "Overlay+100"}
    2. Cull Back
    3. ZWrite Off
    4. ZTest Always
    The code above should force the rendering, that is if the object isn't otherwise being occluded elsewhere. Of course, if this turns out to be the case you'll need to look for something else that would be interfering with the original rendering instructions...

43. Alanj2007

Alanj2007

When it comes to full release of V2, this version can support Unity 4 right?

44. chingwa

chingwa

Even the current version up on the store (1.48) supports Unity 4... but yes, the 2.0 version will support Unity version 4.3 and up.

45. EthanC

EthanC

None of those things helped.

What's a render pass.

Maybe you should just give me the file with whatever that is already modified.

There's virtually nothing in the scene except terrain and tenkoku, so i really hope you aren't going to say that's what is overriding it.

46. chingwa

chingwa

Look, I understand you're frustrated, but the only thing I can do is offer what advice I can in order to get to the bottom of it. I don't have the disappearing water issue here that you show in your screenshot, which is why I'm asking you questions and offering seemingly dead-end possibilities. Unity can be a complex beast sometimes. This is the troubleshooting process.

Can you tell me what shader the "suimono_object" game object is using when it's in that disappeared state?

47. EthanC

EthanC

Suimono2/water_under_pro

Sending me that file seems perfectly logical to me, but you don't want to do that?

48. chingwa

chingwa

OK, this is good to know! It means that it's using the underwater shader instead of the above water shader... which can mean that suimono either a) thinks your camera is underwater, or b) it's somehow locked into displaying the underwater shader. This has nothing to do with the shader possibility I mentioned before (I was just trying to come up with troubleshooting ideas).

if you disengage your camera from the controller you're using and manually move it up a ways, does the water surface ever switch back on? Also can you double check that the suimono_surface object scale is set to (10,1,10) before you press play? The y-scale should always be "1", otherwise it may throw off other height calculations. The "10"s are the default size for the prefab and when using the ocean setting they should stay this size for proper scaling during play.

49. chingwa

chingwa

Also, fyi, all the sub-objects of your suimono_surface should have a scale of (1,1,1).

50. chingwa

chingwa

I've been working recently on the advanced demo scene that will be shipping with the release version of Suimono 2.0. The demo features a full scene showing multiple water examples such as ocean, pond, rivers, and... lava! It also includes updated boat and character setup examples. Should be ready soon! I'm excited to finally get this out to everyone on the store, stay tuned!

BackwoodsGaming and John-G like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.