Search Unity

SUIMONO - Customizeable Water System [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsgheero

lsgheero

:O I want in on said beta! Shotgun!

2. rahul007

rahul007

You also said something about dynamic tessellation:p.What about it.It would be absolutely magnificent if u are succesful in doing it(waiting for your version 2.0).All the best!:D
    Thanks

3. creat327

creat327

@Chingwa I've just uploaded the community ocean shader for unity here https://github.com/joaquingrech/mobileocean
    Hopefully it helps you get suimono running fast on mobile too. The ocean shader runs at 60 fps on a galaxy 2, so it is pretty efficient.

I'm waiting to see what you can achieve with 2.0, if it runs equally fast in mobile as the community one, i would be extremely happy :)

4. chingwa

chingwa

Well, October is quickly coming to a close and work on Suimono 2.0 has been advancing very nicely. I'll have some more info up on this thread in the next few of days, but below is a screenshot preview showing the updated surface and waves... with... TESSELATION! :eek:

5. elias_t

elias_t

6. im

im

hi looks very nice, best of luck :)

7. paulojsam

paulojsam

8. VoellGraves

VoellGraves

wow! that's look awesome.

Can you add some screens about how does a shoreline look with dx11 tesselation ?

9. Setmaster

Setmaster

Tested the demo and noticed that the character and the boxes will keep making waves and noise even when they are stabilized, can this be disabled?

10. rahul007

rahul007

When are you going to release this:eek::p?

11. Casto

Casto

This is an insta buy for me if performance is good enough :)
    I get a pretty low FPS on current demo scene (~50 whereas I get ~200 in a scene with water4), do you think Suimono 2.0 will be faster?

12. shwa

shwa

looking good.

Does tesselation require dx11?

anyone know if dx11 in unity 4 pro works on mac/osx?

13. VoellGraves

VoellGraves

Yup, the "Tesselation" is one of the DX 11 main futures.

14. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks guys! :D

VoellGraves - I'll be putting up some preview videos soon that will show this, stay tuned!

Setmaster - there is a helper component which can be added to individual objects that allows you more control over this... including a splash/ripple "cool down" attribute.

paawanbahl - release is still TBD... I plan to release 2.0 BETA access for current customers as soon as possible, and then final release on the asset store will come a few weeks after that.

Casto - the demo webplayer has an imposed automatic FPS cap (of 50? or 60?) so unfortunately it isn't a fully accurate indicator of performance. But this is part of the reason I want to do a beta period... to really maximize the performance. As for comparisons with water4 and even the current version of Suimono,... I'm going to have to defer a real answer until I get a more final build out, but other than dynamic reflection generation I haven't noticed any additional performance hits.

schwa - Tessellation does require DX11 and Unity4+, however Suimono 2.0 will still be compatible and useable on Unity 3.5. I've been working on a LODing mesh system as a substitute for Tessellation under DX9 and Unity 3.5, however it isn't anywhere near as straight forward or performant as the GPU tessellation. It's also still rather buggy... so I'm still not sure if this will make the initial release or not.

15. Samsson

Samsson

Nice work ... really !

16. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Beautiful imagery Chingwa, always impressive work from you. Can't wait to get this integrated into Legends of Etherell. Any projected dates for an initial release yet?

17. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Aaron, I plan to have the beta out in the next week... barring any show-stopping issues. Hopefully I can keep to this since I just said it "out-loud" :eek::eek::eek:

18. shwa

shwa

"Tessellation does require DX11 and Unity4+, however Suimono 2.0 will still be compatible and useable on Unity 3.5."

What about Unity 4 Pro, and not DX11, for us Mac OSX developers?

tx.

19. rahul007

rahul007

Can you upload some underwater screenshots of suimono 2.0:wink:?

20. chingwa

chingwa

schwa - the tessellation requires DX11... not just Unity 4.0. Unfortunately Mac has no support for DX11 so the tessellation will not work. However, Suimono will run and the shaders and displacement should work exactly the same, it'll just run without the high-res mesh that the tessellation function provides.

paawanbahl - yes! more screens coming very soon... :)

21. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Excellent Chingwa, this is gonna look great in my project! Everyone that has had an opportunity to play the pre-alpha love it, but they all ask, "Where is the waves." So I tell them, "Just waiting on Tanuki Digital to add them haha. Great job as always, I'll have my eyes lock in this direction all next week and yea, you said that out loud so we're now looking!

22. chingwa

chingwa

OK Everyone, we are getting VERY CLOSE! I expect to open the beta sometime early next week, but in the meantime a short video to whet your water-starved appetites... Enjoy! :wink:

[video=youtube_share;e4Hg3p0dLK4]http://youtu.be/e4Hg3p0dLK4

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  23. unicat

unicat

Looks fantastic, great work. :)

24. creat327

creat327

Looking good. Any word on mobile performance?

25. Kofthefens

Kofthefens

Beautiful. I've forgotten - will there be wakes and will water automatically not go into a boat?

26. chingwa

chingwa

unicat - Thanks!

creat327 - Don't have real numbers yet, which is part of the reason I'm doing the beta period.

kofthefens - The final 2.0 release will come with a demo scene that shows various features... including technique for excluding water rendering from boat interiors. This scene won't be in the beta, but will be available on final 2.0 release.

27. creat327

creat327

when is the beta opening? i would love to test this on mobile. Btw, I wrote to you when i purchased it asking about alpha too :)

28. Marionette

Marionette

^^^^ definitely this!

Additionally however, I'd like to know if the behavior would be the same for shorelines etc with say a water 'sphere'? And some sort of demo or screenshot. If you can do that, I will buy it this weekend! I want to use this with my procedurally generated planets!

29. chingwa

chingwa

creat327 - The beta will be released sometime in the next couple of days. I can't say exactly when, as I'm still working on one last issue with the physics system, but once it's fixed I'll be posting the betaand will put up a beta announcement thread here. :)

Marionette - The new shoreline generation in 2.0 works by calculating scene depth into a texture and then passing that to the Water surface shader. By default this calculation assumes you have a water surface sitting horizontally above a height terrain of some sort. This approach won't work directly on a sphere type of planet... however if instead you can supply your own depth calculation texture to the shader, then it may be able to work... but this would be a custom solution and certainly wouldn't work "out-of-the-box".

That being said, the shader itself should work on spherical objects, it's just the shore interaction calculation that isn't really designed for this.

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hiya,

Came here from the other thread. Wondered if it supports cave-like style lighting - ie it's very dark but illuminated by unity lights, some of which can be bright.

31. chingwa

chingwa

Well... hmm, I'm not exactly sure what type of cave lighting you need, but look at the below image.

This is a scene with the Suimono 2.0 water plane. There are no diectional lights so mostly the scene is completely black. However there is 1 spot light in blue illuminating across the surface, and 3 other point lights (blue, green, red) at various intensities...

I think this is what you're looking for, but if not maybe you could post a reference image that shows more specifically what your needs are. :)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  32. lazygunn

lazygunn

I've been looking firwards to this like crazy, for a long time since my first Suimono purchase, this would add completion to quite a few 'investments' i made a good while back and i'm looking forwards to trying it out a huge amount. Seeing it play ball with the ATSIII shaders and some atmospheric implementation could pretty much nail some stuff for me, finally

Ahh yes! Cave illumination - I noticed you had a representage of caustics underwater in an earlier video - if this worked to project caustics in a cave environment, maybe if not now then later, this would be very nifty indeed - alternative being a lil addon that did it without having to add too much weight to the water

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  33. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks lazygunn, it's good to know you're looking forward to it... helps me to push through these last little niggling issues and not throw my computer in the trashcan. :eek:

Suimono 2.0 has an updated caustics system that lights animated caustics based on relative position to a water surface. It's much more flexible and in many ways more performant than the current projector based system. Everything is run automatically by using a pool of custom "caustic objects" that get automatically dispersed relative to the camera.

However, you could also take some of these caustic objects and place them manually in your scene, position and angle them as suits your needs... for example if you want to project caustics upward to illuminate a cave ceiling.

34. im

im

hey chingwa

very nice, but please take the video down, i cant stop hitting the replay button ;)

35. Piers909

Piers909

Unbelievable. Day 1 buy, no question.

36. chingwa

chingwa

im - haha, so that was you that was artificially inflating my viewcount? :D

Piers909 - Thanks for the encouragement. It's Coming soon, stay tuned!

37. rahul007

rahul007

Bought the latest version!!:D And even I watched it at least 10 times!By the way how soon is soon cant wait:p

38. creat327

creat327

so waiting to see this beta :(

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  39. chingwa

chingwa

I know, things got a little prolonged, I guess that's the problem with saying when something will be out! I've run into some issues with the Unity exporter not including certain files, and a couple other niggling things. Hopefully I can fix these tomorrow and get the first Beta out the door. don't lose hope! it's coming! :D

40. im

im

paawanbahl - Bought the latest version!!:D And even I watched it at least 10 times!By the way how soon is soon cant wait:p

it's not just me inflating your view count ;)

41. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Nice, that 2.0 video looks great.
    This can be another alternative for Ocean renderer. Some question :
    -is it possible to have something like adaptive mesh LOD for non dx11 so we can achieve high-medium quality wave in nonDX11, maybe something like a adjustable mesh resolution that centered on the camera (so, it's like highres water mesh for closed distance and lowres mesh for far water).
    - Another thing is it possible to get the correct underwater color (deeper the water get a darker depth fog color). I'm looking something that close to AC4 water or Stranded Deep :)

42. chingwa

chingwa

Hi rea,

Thanks for your questions.

An adaptive mesh is a technique I was working toward at the beginning of this project. I had developed a dynamic quad tree meshing system that could be used as you describe to give extra detail to non-dx11 systems. However there are some real issues with this technique (at least as far as I had implemented it) that prevented me from continuing with it. So, this isn't going to be a part of version 2.0, at least not in the beginning. though I would love to eventually update it and include this, I can't give any sort of timeframe at this point.

Version 2.0 already has more robust depth calculations and you can define 3 different depth colors.. deep, medium, and shallow (along with alpha blending for each). The separation between these values is defined in a small texture ramp, as well as a slider to adjust where along the ramp you want to be. Though as far as UNDERwater goes, currently there's only one underwater color. I'd like to add more depth options while underwater... perhaps as part of the Beta.

43. shwa

shwa

Hi,
    Just bought easy roads 3d pro, in part cause of it's ability to create rivers.

Anyone know if Suimono is compatible with this asset, especially with respect to creating a directional flow?

44. chingwa

chingwa

Hi schwa, I purchased EasyRoads Pro a long time ago, and I remember there were some issues with when I was first developing Suimono. Specifically, the uv's were reversed... underwater portion would appear above the water and vice versa. But again, this was AGES ago. I haven't used easyRoads for quite a while. I'll update it to the latest version and see how it's working now... and for version 2.0 as well....

45. shwa

shwa

Thanks!

46. nipoco

nipoco

Nice work

47. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks nipoco!

48. chingwa

chingwa

U CAN HAZ!

The Suimono 2.0 Beta is FINALLY READY....

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/211653-SUIMONO-Water-System-2-0-BETA-Announcement

You can also go direct to the beta download page here...
    http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It's been a looong time in coming, and still has a way to go before It's ready to go up on the asset store, but I hope everyone who's able to gives it a try and puts it through it's paces. This being a BETA some things may change, and there's still lots of room for improvement of course. I'm looking forward to any and all feedback from you guys, thanks for your patience!

now, GO GET IT.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  49. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm a little unsure as to which number i should be supplying from the invoice, the invoice number or the order number? Sorry if that sounds a bit dumb. There's 4 numbers/alphanumeric things in a pile!

50. chingwa

chingwa

Hi lazygunn, it should be the order number... usually they start with "OR" I believe. It should also be in the subject line of the email you received from the Asset Store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.