Search Unity

SUIMONO - Customizeable Water System [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jankenalvarez

jankenalvarez

Hi, I'm a 4th year IT student. Me and my group are planning to develop a game using Unity 3D. We are planning to make a water game. How can the object interact to the water. We want to make the water real, if the water moves the object also moves. Is it possible in Unity 3D?

2. chingwa

chingwa

@Kofthefens - sorry, I missed your post! Screenshot, no. But how about a video? :D

@jankenalvarez - Are you asking about Suimono specifically or Unity in general? The current version of Suimono has buoyant objects as well as the ability to apply a directional force to those objects to simulate water movement. These functions are to be expanded a bit in the 2.0 update

3. chingwa

chingwa

Below is a short work-in-progress video showing the 3D wave movement and updated buoyancy calculation, using a boat object as a test case. You can see the placement of buoyancy objects around the boat (about 30 seconds in) and how this translates to smoother and more realistic reactions by the boat... i.e. climbing over the waves and lateral swaying.

This also shows use of DepthMasks to render out the water that would normally be visible within the boat itself. There's a couple visible artifacts to be seen here and there in the video... again still W.I.P...

[video=youtube_share;3GdbVdhy86E]http://youtu.be/3GdbVdhy86E

4. creat327

creat327

Not sure how you did the buoyancy calculations, but probably it would look more realistic if you use wheel colliders for those points since it would auto spring with the water on hit and you can adjust it to be more stiff/soft

5. Kofthefens

Kofthefens

That looks amazing. One note - when a wave comes up at about 10 seconds, it looks weirdly clear. As it is a WIP, I'm sure you'll fix it. Other than that, it looks fantastic.

6. chingwa

chingwa

@creat327 - that' an interesting idea. There are settings already that adjust the reaction envelope of each buoyancy point, but I hadn't thought about using wheel colliders for buoyancy.

@Kofthefens - version 2.0 has more realistic settings when it comes to water depth, transparency, and light scattering... I think this is what you're seeing here. Of course all these settings can be adjusted. :)

7. lsgheero

lsgheero

Your doing AMAZING WORK with this own suimono can't wait for update 2.0!

8. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the encouragement Isgheero!

9. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Not sure about using wheel colliders, but (to my eye) the boat's movement seemed a bit jerky which could be improved by using soft physics springs to connect to the main RB or lerp-ing their positions through code.

Overall, though, your ocean version looks pretty good and I'm keen to see the final version. :)

10. shwa

shwa

vid/water looks good.

one thing, when some of the waves crest, one can see distinct lines for a moment, and the white cresting seems a bit pixelly to me,... a bit unnatural.

/shwa

11. kenshin

kenshin

Hi chingwa,
    you are doing a great work!
    I agree with bigkahuna, some additional work to improve smoothness of results is needed ...I am really excited to see your next update.

Keek up the good work!
    Kenshin

12. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Does your system have any flow mapping to allow for current directions? If not, that would be a fantastic feature!

13. chingwa

chingwa

@bigkahuna - yes the buoyancy on the boat could certainly use a bit more "springiness". Currently it's lerping by a set amount, but I'd like to modulate this against the depth of the buoyancy point... thus it reacts quicker as the depth gets greater. I'll also be adding splash effects from these points as well... probably depending on the wave normal factor.

@shwa - yes, that's from the foam generator... currently it's just an artifact, but I'd like to be able to designate how much foam (if any) get applied to the wave heights as well.

@kenshin - thanks for your feedback! It's always encouraging to see people excited about this!

@adamz - Suimono uses flowmaps in the current version for the flat-waves function... however as of yet I haven't brought this over to 2.0 for the 3d waves. 2.0 DOES have auto shore calculations which certainly addresses one aspect of water flow, but I would also love to be able to control the actual flow direction of the waves based on a flowmap and not simply a global attribute. Something for me to look into for sure, thanks!

14. shwa

shwa

tx for info re foam.

Are we going to be able to turn it off?

15. Cheshyr

Cheshyr

This looks fantastic. I'll be buying it, especially for the improved underwater effects. I hate to be that guy, but... any estimates on the updated release? I'm hacking away at the Oculus VRJam, and I'd like to include any improvements you make between 1.46 and 2.0. As I said, you've got another customer either way, so no biggie if it's still TBD.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  16. chingwa

chingwa

@shwa - yes, it will be customizable like almost everything else. :)

@Cheshyr - Thanks a lot! I probably won't be putting in any additional updates between 1.46 and 2.0 though, unless someone reports a killer bug which is very unlikely... Suimono has been out for almost a year and is pretty well tested at this point. Version 2.0 is in progress and I hope to have it out by the end of August.... though this isn't a set schedule, more of just a target goal.

There are certainly improved underwater effects... better fogging, blurring, and underwater surface rendering. It will work with Unity Free, however to get the most out of Suimono you really need Unity Pro as it relies on some tech that isn't made available in the free version, this is especially true for the underwater effects. I'll be posting some more screenshots/videos showing the underwater updates soon.

17. Cheshyr

Cheshyr

Excellent, thank you. I have Pro, and I'm excited for the improved underwater effects, since the majority of my game is underwater... and I'd rather focus on gameplay, than attempt to recreate something you can do better. I'll keep my fingers crossed for end of August; looking forward to it. Buying now.

18. Kofthefens

Kofthefens

:D I'm really excited for this. Will there be anything on being half under half over water?

19. chingwa

chingwa

This is still undetermined at this point... I would love to have a kind of "fishbowl" feature, where you can see both in and out of the water at the same time. I've gotten this to work pretty well with flat water, but the 3d wave feature complicates this. I have a few techniques in mind that might possibly work with 3d waves, but before advancing further I'm focusing on bringing all the other features up to a release-able level.

20. lod3

lod3

@chingwa

Nice work! Looking forward to grabbing this when 2.0 is out.

21. chingwa

chingwa

thanks for the feedback lod3! version 2.0 has been progressing and I hope to have some more info about features and release up on the forum soon.

22. lod3

lod3

Looking forward to it!

23. lod3

lod3

Does your underwater fog allow there to be fog above the waterline, or is it only one or the other?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  24. Kofthefens

Kofthefens

Will there be water pressure? For example, if you had something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. ~|.           ~ is water, | is wall, and . is empty
    3. ~|.
    4. ~|.
    5. ~~~
    Would the water fill up the right side?

25. chingwa

chingwa

@lod3 - well, the fog essentially turns on or off depending on the camera's position to the water surface. However, you could certainly duplicate the underwater fog object and have a second one that is always on, regardless of the underwater state...

@Kofthefens - No I'm afraid not. The water is only a surface and the camera view will change while under this surface. But there isn't real physical water that would flow over or around objects. I believe there are other solutions that do this in 2D space, but doing this in 3D space would be extremely taxing on most hardware.

26. lod3

lod3

Does this mean using SUIMONO prohibits the use of Unity's built-in fog? Looking to have fog both above and below the water, with the underwater fog being more dense (shorter falloff).

If by chance there is a conflict using your water fog and Unity's linear fog, would it still be possible to not use your fog, but still have the camera render water refraction, color change, etc.?

The latter method, while not ideal, would at least allow me to use art to fake it and create a sense of being in water, even if the fog density is the same.

Thank you.

27. chingwa

chingwa

The Suimono fog is separate from both the built-in Unity linear fog, as well as Unity fog image effects. You can run all of them at the same time if you wish. So sure, you could have normal Unity fog in your scene and in addition have the Suimono fog while under the water surface.

28. lod3

lod3

Awesome! Thank you for the reply :)

29. chingwa

chingwa

Actually, I should add that the Suimono fog relies on the camera depth texture, so Unity Pro is required for Suimono fog to work.

However, If you're using the free version of Unity, it's certainly possible to rewrite part of the code to change Unity built-in fog settings while underwater (instead of using the Suimono fog). In fact, for version 2.0 I may just add this switch in for Unity free users anyway.

30. lod3

lod3

Pro user, so not an issue. But certainly nice of you to offer solutions to those using Unity Free ;)

31. chingwa

chingwa

NOTE ON UNITY 4.2....

It's come to my attention that there are some serious visual artifacts now appearing with Suimono on the latest version of Unity (version 4.20f4). This involves a strange ghosting effect and issues with reflections. I'm working on a fix for this issue and will release a new update to the Asset Store ASAP. Thanks everyone for your understanding.

------
    EDIT - after further exploration, this seems to be a bug with Unity version 4.2 relating to GrabPass and MultiPass shader compilation. A bug report has been filed with Unity. In the meantime I recommend not upgrading to 4.2, or if you must use 4.2 then you can try to use one of the non-refractive shaders that ship with Suimono for the time being.

------
    EDIT 2 - I'm happy to report that this bug has now been fixed with Unity version 4.2.1

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  32. chingwa

chingwa

Suimono update to version 1.48

This is a bug-fix update only, and specifically addresses a problem with intermittent compile errors. I added #pragma strict compiling across all code and changed some array handling to address this.

33. im

im

i really like this water any chance of a sale ;)

34. lsgheero

lsgheero

Not trying to speak for Chingwa.. but for what you get with this system $65 is pretty epic considering with the coming features in 2.0 it will be really close to the features you get with the $500 Triton system.... I am sure triton is well worth its price tag but you would really have to be getting into water simulations to need something that hefty I imagine. So for those of us that want some pretty awesome water the $65 alternative that is Suimono is a really deal.

35. im

im

it was more of a joke. i love the water, it's simplicity, beauty and perfection. so i said what could i ask for. since i could not think of anything i thought oh yeah a discount and then i ended it with wink. since obviously i could not ask for anything more from the asset. :)

i also thought since he as going to have a big new release and increasing the price by $15-$20 he would have a sale to celebrate the release and drive sales as many asset authors do and then do the price increase.

anyways it was done with a wink. i guess instead of a sale i could have asked for him to include the gorgeous demo scene we see in the video, what a screen saver that would make. we would be so distracted and relaxed by the scene of the landscape and the water and his lovely assistant that we would not get any work done ;)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  36. chingwa

chingwa

Thank you both for your kind words regarding Suimono. It's great to know that Suimono users feel that they are getting their moneys worth!

As you have said an asset sale can be a good way to drive interest in a new release. Though my main concern is to provide an excellent product at a sustainable price point, I may consider a sale once 2.0 is out and the "dust settles" a bit. :)

and FYI, the demo scene I've shown in the recent preview video and screenshots will be included with Suimono 2.0... and I've only revealed a small part of it thus far... :D

37. chingwa

chingwa

For anyone who was having Suimono shader issues under Unity 4.2, this is a Unity bug. Happily, I can confirm that this has now been fixed with Unity version 4.2.1.

38. Leo-Bounce

Leo-Bounce

This is works. Thanks!

Little question about Suimono - is it possible to control the specular size? I want to make that white hotspot not so wide
    $734ca0d3d8ba53ca1aa2c7f7e938bc90.png

39. chingwa

chingwa

Well currently the only way to affect the size of the specular is to adjust the overall scale of the normals... either by adjusting the "Master Scale" attribute or to adjust the xy tiling of the two heightmap textures. You can adjust these attributes in the shader settings drop down inspector on your Water_Surface object.

40. Gunhi

Gunhi

can't wait for the 2.0 releasing. Make it quicker please. I have an instant project that should use this awesome tool.

41. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Gunhi, I'm going as fast as I can... :D I hope to have some new news up soon.

42. Xaron

Xaron

How's that coming along? ;)

Does it run at all on mobile devices yet? Has anyone tested it on Android and iOS?

43. chingwa

chingwa

That's a great question! And unfortunately I don't have a conclusive answer yet. The updated shader for version 2.0 is pretty much complete however, and now I'm starting to parse it down for lower end systems, and those using Unity Free. I'll have an answer on mobile soon. (and I know, I keep saying "soon" over and over, but really it's getting close now!) :)

44. Xaron

Xaron

I'm going to buy this. It's just great! I'll check it out how it runs on Android and iOS.

45. creat327

creat327

... any updates? mobile? 2.0?
    if this runs well on mobile i'm all in, but the wait is killing me :)

46. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

looking forward to seeing next release...

47. chingwa

chingwa

Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback :) Development has been taking longer than anticipated as I hit a few "snags" (is that a technical term?) Mobile is still, undetermined, but I should have some news really soon! really!

48. shwa

shwa

Snags sounds technical to me. :)

It'll be done when it's done.

Burn those snags down.

49. creat327

creat327

are we there yet mom?

50. chingwa

chingwa

haha, almost there, son!
    I plan to have a beta release period for existing customers by the end of October, while I work on final touches and documentation, and then full release on my website and the asset store shortly thereafter.

Will have screenshots and feature updates posted here soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.