Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SUIMONO - Customizeable Water System [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. raoul

raoul

Same flickering on the shore lines (just to confirm), fps of the first demo around 50-52, the second 51-54.

2. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Same exact results as raoul, same frame rates as well.

3. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks guys for the continuing testing! I've uploaded a new demo here:

Island Test Demo3

This has the customizing UI put back in (well, with a few subtractions, as this demo isn't showing the interactivity of the water). I did add an extra input button so you can stop the mouse from moving the scene while you use the UI(press the "q" button). I've also spent the evening optimizing the reflections and putting them back into the system. They aren't customizable through the test UI, but can be easily edited via the inspector for resolution, draw distance, fade and color.

@sjm - thank you as always for the detailed notes and screenshots. Almost all of the aesthetic issues you bring up can be edited in the shader through the settings you see in the test UI, as well as some settings which I haven't made UI access to... such as color and inspector info. I notice the pixelation you refer to, I'll look into it.

The wave effect is the one part of the system that is not simply editable in Unity. It relies on a flowmap texture and reads wrap and direction info from there. I made the flowmap for this island scene rather quick, just for testing, which is why some shorelines may behave different than others. But with a little tweaking of the texture the waves can be put practically anywhere you would want.

And to explain why this demo is so much larger than your original, is because of the animated caustic and wave textures. While they don't add much performance overhead, they do add file size as each set is a group of 32 individual textures.

Now that these performance tweaks are out of the way I will look in depth into the flashing and black texture issues.

4. unityasoft

unityasoft

a few people are looking forward to this asset, is there any chance you could give us info when you will submit to the store? even if its in BETA

5. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Shifty, I plan to submit to the store within the next week. There are still a couple bugs in the shader (for some people) and I don't want to release without addressing these issues, that is what I'm working on now. As soon as these problems are addressed I will submit it. Hopefully all will go well and I can get this on the store soon. I'll certainly keep everyone here updated once it's submitted, and (hopefully) approved!

6. chingwa

chingwa

Just a note to let everyone know that the Webplayer demo on the first page has been updated to the latest, including an option now to see Suimono in the Unity (free) environment. There are 2 differences with the free version that you'll notice. The first is that there is no refraction, as this relies on renderTextures which Unity Free does not support. This also means there is no realtime reflection, though the shader does have generic cubetextures, and you can replace them with your own textures specific to your scene. The second difference is no Depth based shading as this relies on CameraDepth access, which it also does not support. However I think the visuals are still pretty good in the free version, and of course all the interaction works exactly the same.

Getting very close to release now. Still some bugs on certain graphics cards (and the refraction bleeding), and I need to finalize sound support, but otherwise I hope to release in the next few days!

7. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi chingwa, did you planned to make deactivable (by user) the interaction features (ripples..splashes particles..) to use only the esthetical features?
    This could be usefull to limit the webplayer size where the advanced phisic features are not needed and in the same time mantain an acceptable size when this features are important to the scene purposes!
    Let me say that you are doing a great job whith this water system!
    Max

8. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Sjm, yes the interactive features are not mandatory, they are added to the system by way of script components. My base recommended setup consists of 2 prefabs, a master water_module and a surface_module. These two prefabs drive only the visuals of the system and any additional functionality can be optionally added from there. Actually I must say, that the very minimum component would just be the shader itself, which could be attached to any game object that you would like. :)

9. chingwa

chingwa

Hello all, just want to drop in and say that SUIMONO version 1.0 has been submitted to the asset store. While I sit impatiently twiddling my thumbs for a hopeful approval, I am writing a documentation website that details each prefab and component and setting up a user forum on my website specifically for Suimono to carry on any discussion, bugfixing, feature requests and etc. Thanks to everyone here for their support! :D

10. virror

virror

Did you update the demo? Cause i still have the black water and leaking problems making this not very useful if those persist.

11. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

I have a quick question. Will you eventually be adding a component for streams to show the flow of water in specific directions? If so, do you have a road map specifying when this feature will make an appearance? We're doing a lot of planning for our trailer scheduled for release in 2 months, so we want to decide whether or not we should direct efforts towards adding the effect ourselves or wait for you to add the feature; which would be optimal for us.

Thanks in advance for any information regarding this feature.

12. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Taking a while to get approved :(

13. chingwa

chingwa

@virror - I've just updated the webplayer with the final 1.0 submission, unfortunately these 2 bugs are still in the system. However I feel I can't wait any longer to perfect Suimono before release. I will certainly continue to look into these issues and send an update to the Asset Store as soon as these are fixed. I've detailed these known issues on the first post of this thread for all those who are considering this asset.

@ronan - hopefully the approval process won't take much longer!

@aaron - Flow maps are something I have been working on, and in fact have included for the wave function. Expanding this to include water direction has proven a bit tricky but it is something I'd like to include in the future. Unfortunately I do not have a roadmap for the next few updates yet. It will partially depend on the popularity of the 1.0 release, but I can't say that it will be ready within your 2 month time frame.

14. chingwa

chingwa

Suimono has been accepted by the asset store, and is now available! :D
    For those interested, please use the asset store search bar for "suimono" or look under Textures Materials/Water.

I'm still in the early process of creating complete documentation for Suimono which can be viewed here:
    SUIMONO DOCUMENTATION

To help answer any questions or receive specific feedback, I've also set-up a user forum on my site which can be accessed here:
    SUIMONO HELP FORUM

I encourage everyone to come in and give your feedback/bug or feature requests or pose any other questions you may have. Thank you all!

15. sefou

sefou

Hello Chingwa,

are these weird things fixed in version 1 ? Thanks

16. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Sefou, this issue is actually the same that I detail on the first page... the "refraction bleeding" problem. So technically no, this is not fixed for 1.0, however, this issue was exacerbated in the webplayer demo because the refraction setting of the ripples was set at max. I've reduced the default setting of the ripples (unfortunately not controllable in the demo itself) and reposted it.

If you try it again, you'll see that while this issue is still apparent, having a lower refraction value for the rings does help quite a bit without impacting the visuals too much... here is a comparison of the new vs. old setting:

But rest assured I am still looking into a fix for this issue for a future update. :)

17. chingwa

chingwa

I'd like to thank those who have purchased Suimono so far, but I am also a bit concerned to know that those who have are having an OK time using it. I have been quite busy the past few days and have not had much time to work on the documentation site. The forum is open though, so if anyone has any questions please drop by and open a thread...

SUIMONO User Forum

I should have the documentation site finished next week.

18. helmers

helmers

Hi,

I have bought and tried it on Unity 4 (Well knowing, that it is released for 3.x).
    It does not seem to work on Unity 4. I only get some caustics.
    But may be that it is only me and the currently very sparse documentation.

Have you already tried it on Unity 4?
    (When) Will you support Unity 4?

By the way, my hardware:
    i7 4/8 4.5GHz, 16GB Ram, Nvidia 680GTX,

19. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Helmers, thank you for the Unity4 Info. I have not yet tried it with Unity4, and I did not plan to support the Unity4 Beta. I'm surprised to hear that it isn't working in 4 though, It makes me curious as to what has actually changed in Unity under the hood. I also realize that more and more people are already using the 4 beta... I'll take a look in the next couple days to see what's going on, and perhaps issue an update for this problem.

Of Course when the full version of 4 is released, I certainly intend to support it, and going forward.

I assume it is working for you OK in Unity 3.5? (or maybe you're only using 4 at this point?)

20. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

I think all shaders break under unity 4, i don't know the cause but iirc from the stumpy shader thread all shaders need a minor change to be compatible

21. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Ronan, I didn't realize there was such a global change in 4, but it's good to know I'm not alone... :D

22. fholm

fholm

Will this water work wrapped around a sphere? I'm looking to use it to render water around a non-realistic planet rendering.

23. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Fholm, the water will certainly work on a sphere, and in fact any mesh object. Certain aspects may be problematic, such as the planar/mirror reflection, but it doesn't sound like you would need reflections for your project anyway. I can post an example for you later tonight on what this would look like.

24. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Just waiting on the bug fix for the flickering issue and you definitely got a sale here :D

25. Farlas

Farlas

I buy it and very amazing tool but from what i try i explain error i found :

Unity 4 :

With directx11 water is pink and no effects i revert to d3d9 working good

if i scale larger for a more large terrain i got 3 dots in middle of water plane corresponding to the 3 small island of example scene.

just what i see for moment and continue to try and test and come back here if i found more.

26. chingwa

chingwa

@Farlas - Yes there seems to be an issue with Unity4 at the moment. I'm looking into this issue and will issue a fix for you Unity4 beta users in the next few days. As for the three dots, that is the flowmap corresponding to the shoreline waves of the demo scene. If you want to have your own waves, you need to edit this map, or create your own texture. I'll be detailing a short tutorial how to set this up for your own scenes very soon, but it essentially is comprised of red, and yellow, which morphs the animated UV's on the wave texture.

@Unleaded - thanks that's very encouraging to hear!

27. chingwa

chingwa

Suimono is specifically designed for flat meshes, but you can see it translates pretty well to other shapes...

Below is an example of the Suimono shader wrapping around a sphere... all these variations were made by changing the colors and options on the shader. Do take note though, that the default Unity Sphere mesh wasn't wrapping correcty, so I set up my own mesh with better UVs in Max. At the bottom you'll see the base cubemap that comes with Suimono in a couple different levels of refraction/ This cubemaps is rather basic and generic (good for scenery on a flat plane) but it may not be adequate to what you need your project. You can of course edit this cubemap or supply our own (recommended).

28. angel_m

angel_m

Chingwa: Can you tell me how is the performance hit on any scene using Suimono water in comparision to Unity Pro Water4?

29. Samsson

Samsson

Can we do something like a river with it ?

30. chingwa

chingwa

@angel_m - With SJM's help I was able to put up a pretty direct comparison scene between the built-in Water4 and Suimono... while this demo isn't the exact release that is in the current 1.0 release, it's 99.9% the same. Compare the 2 here via webplayer...

Reference Scene (Water4)
    Suimono Comparison

Probably the biggest impact in terms of performance with Suimono is the mirror reflection calculation, as it's essentially drawing the scene a second time. Depending on the complexity of your scene, this may or may not be an issue. But the reflection settings are configurable in terms of resolution of the generated image as well as render layers and distance. If you really have performance issues, then the reflection can easily be removed (It's just an additional script added to the Water Surface).

Suimono also includes cubemap reflections in addition to the planar/mirror reflection, mainly to highlight visual interest in the water, but with a good cubemap often realtime reflections aren't even necessary.

31. chingwa

chingwa

@Samsson - Rivers are certainly doable, as long as the mesh uv's are set up properly. The below images are taken from the Bootcamp demo, showing Suimono being applied to the river mesh in that project (using the "deep dark" preset, similar to skyrim water). The top one is from the editor, and the bottom one is showing the river UV coordinates overlaid.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  32. Samsson

Samsson

Nice !

What is your plan for the future ?

33. chingwa

chingwa

Well my Immediate plans are to finish the documentation (which should be done in the next couple days btw), and then to focus on a few outstanding bugs such as sporadic surface flashing, refraction tweaks and DX11 support. There are also some structuring issues that I've found which I'd like to try tweaking as well, but these are not killer issues at the moment.

My future future plans include DX11 Normal map tesselation... I am not versed yet in the complexities of this but it would be a very exciting feature if it can be made to work.

Also, depending on the future success of Suimono I have been considering adding iOS support, however this is not in the cards quite yet.

34. Samsson

Samsson

DirectX11 support would be useful, and Tessalation would be just handsome !

35. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

That would be interesting!

36. chingwa

chingwa

I've just posted the demo Player for the upcoming 1.1 update on the main page, or you can try it out here:

SUIMONO 1.1 WEBPLAYER DEMO

This release is mainly to fix two ornery bugs that have been plaguing development: the intermittent depth flashing and the black surface error that have been showing up on a few geforce cards. If you were experiencing this error, please try out the updated 1.1 demo and let me know if this is still a problem or not.

If all is well the new update should be available for download in the next day or so.

Note, the 1.1 update does not address the refraction bleeding issue, or DX11 compatability yet.

Here's a list of the updated changes:
    FIX - Intermittent flashing of Depth and Surface on some GeForce cards.
    FIX - Wave_overlay shader was blocking terrain billboards from showing when viewed from underneath water surface.
    FIX - Offset refraction error in the effect_refractDroplets shader under Deferred rendering.
    CHANGE - Rendering queues re-ordered for all water shaders.
    CHANGE - Included tex_wave_norm Texture edited to minimize refraction issues in Deferred rendering.
    CHANGE - Included Cubemap Texture changed to neutral color (removes green cast on surface normals).
    CHANGE - Default refraction of ripple particle effect has been lowered.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  37. norby

norby

Hi Chingwa

Great work , no flickering :)

beautiful

Norby

38. raoul

raoul

Yes, flickering is fixed over here as well, great job!

39. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the confirmation guys!

40. chingwa

chingwa

Hello all, this is just a note to let you know that Suimono version 1.1 is now available on the asset store!

also I'm already working on the next update (1.2)... *I'm making some headway with the shaders under dx11, and once this is fixed (and possibly some other errors) I'll be issuing a new update.*

41. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All, another update to let you know that Suimono version 1.2 is now available on the asset store.

Version 1.2 fixes the DX11 rendering issue for all shaders in Uniy4beta, as well as fixing the black surface bug some people were experiencing on certain hardware.

42. Mihai93

Mihai93

Hey man i bought suimono but i have alot of missle scripts and i dont understand how to generate skyrim whater please help

43. chingwa

chingwa

hi mihai, are you getting errors? can you pm me a screenshot of what you're seeing, and what errors you're getting? the skyrim water is labelled as "deep dark" under the presets script.

44. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Absolutely the best water system in the store! everything is thought of and put into this water! Great price!

I have one request that I would like to see, water with drifting ice and water with cracked ice that has random holes. I haven't checked, is there a distinctive sound when walking on the ice?

45. Mihai93

Mihai93

u send pm

46. chingwa

chingwa

@DesertRaven - thanks for the awesome feedback!

Water with drifting ice.... this could be done currently if you have separate "ice" gameobjects. Simply attach the 'object_buoyancy' script to any game object that you want to float on the surface. You can also apply force to any buoyant object that is interacting with the water surface by changing the "Water force" values in the 'water_anim_scrolling' script. :)

As for ice with random holes... hmmmm. This would require a "mask" texture of some kind and this is not built-into the shader. Usually this wouldn't be needed on a water shader, but I see how it could be useful ice. though it may be better to have a mesh object with holes in it already rather than doing it on the shader... this would give the added benefit of being able to fall-through the hole areas, whereas doing it just on the shader the holes would only appear to be holes... you couldn't interact with them.

There are no built-in sounds for cracking or walking on ice. It's a great suggestion though! I'll look into it for a future update.

47. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Sounds like a good solution with the holes in the ice being it's own ice object.

I did encounter one issue though after adding the water object and water plane. "Instantiating material due to calling renderer.material during edit mode. This will leak materials into the scene. You most likely want to use renderer.sharedMaterial instead.
    UnityEngine.Renderer:get_material()
    water_presets:AssignPreset(PRESET) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM/SCRIPTS/water_presets.js:216)
    water_presets:Update() (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM/SCRIPTS/water_presets.js:54)"

how can i get rid of this error message please?

Raven

48. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the heads up DesertRaven, This was an oversight, but it's an easy fix... in the "water_presets" script file every instance of "renderer.material" needs to be replaced with "renderer.sharedMaterial."

open up the "water_presets" script file and replace lines 216 - 253 with the following...

Code (csharp):
    1. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetTextureScale("_HeightMap",GetPreset(aspSet,"_HeightMap"));
    2. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetTextureScale("_HeightMap2",GetPreset(aspSet,"_HeightMap2"));
    3. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetTextureScale("_FoamTex",GetPreset(aspSet,"_FoamTex"));
    4. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_IlluminColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_IlluminColor"));
    6. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_SpecColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_SpecColor"));
    7. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_SurfaceColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_SurfaceColor"));
    8. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_DepthColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_DepthColor"));
    9. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_EdgeColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_EdgeColor"));
    10. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_DistColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_DistColor"));
    11. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_FoamColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_FoamColor"));
    12. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_FogColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_FogColor"));
    13. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_ReflColor",GetPreset(aspSet,"_ReflColor"));
    14. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_ReflColor2",GetPreset(aspSet,"_ReflColor2"));
    15. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetColor("_ReflColor3",GetPreset(aspSet,"_ReflColor3"));
    17. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_ReflDist",GetPreset(aspSet,"_ReflDist"));
    18. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_ReflBlend",GetPreset(aspSet,"_ReflBlend"));
    20. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_FogFar",GetPreset(aspSet,"_FogFar"));
    21. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_FogAlpha",GetPreset(aspSet,"_FogAlpha"));
    22. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_DepthAmt",GetPreset(aspSet,"_DepthAmt"));
    23. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_EdgeAmt",GetPreset(aspSet,"_EdgeAmt"));
    24. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_EdgeBlend",GetPreset(aspSet,"_EdgeBlend"));
    25. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_DistFar",GetPreset(aspSet,"_DistFar"));
    26. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_DistBlend",GetPreset(aspSet,"_DistBlend"));
    27. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_FoamAmt",GetPreset(aspSet,"_FoamAmt"));
    28. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_FoamBlend",GetPreset(aspSet,"_FoamBlend"));
    30. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_Emissive",GetPreset(aspSet,"_Emissive"));
    31. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_BumpStrength",GetPreset(aspSet,"_BumpStrength"));
    32. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_SpecStrength",GetPreset(aspSet,"_SpecStrength"));
    33. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_Wetness",GetPreset(aspSet,"_Wetness"));
    35. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_RefrStrength",GetPreset(aspSet,"_RefrStrength"));
    36. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_RefrSpeed",GetPreset(aspSet,"_RefrSpeed"));
    38. renderer.sharedMaterial.SetFloat("_AnimSpeed",GetPreset(aspSet,"_AnimSpeed"));
    This should completely fix this intermittent error. This will be fixed in the next version of Suimono (version 1.3)

49. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

Hello, this package is very nice.
    However, on the webplayer I see the ripples generated by objects and player are waving forever while they should fade away until the object or player move again.
    How could the user adjust the water to make those ripples fade out? Or is that not possible for now?

50. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Bruno,

While it isn't possible to edit this in the webplayer demo, it is certainly possible to edit in the script settings in the editor.

The ripples and splashes are generated any time another object with both a rigidbody and collider interacts with the water surface. However there are a few user controllable parameters to take into account which affect this interaction.

First... the interaction is based on physics AppliedForce. the minimum force required to generate a splash/ripple can be set in the "Water_splash Handler" script attached to the water_surface. there are two parameters... "ripple sensitivity" and "splash sensitivity". a setting of 0.25 will require the corresponding force on the interacting object before a ripple will occur. a setting of 0 on these parameters will override the force requirement and allow ripples/splashes to always occur.

Second... the water surface settings can be overridden on the water_module prefab, under the "waterModule_splashEffects" component. there is a boolean setting called "always emit ripples" if this is checked then this will disregard all individually set water components.

Third... each interacting object can also have it's own ripple settings. the "object_splashEffects" component will allow you to always emit ripples for a particular object, regardless of the water surface and module settings. it will also allow you to change the ripple speed, size, and rotation for each individual object it is attached to.

Fourth... as the ripple/splash effects are based on AppliedForce, objects that interact with the water also may be having force applied to them by the water surface itself. this would cause ripples to form, even if all the settings above were turned off. look at the "water_animScrolling" component of the water_surface. there is a parameter called water force, which will apply force according to the x and y directions. if these are both set to 0, no force is applied. note that this force only affects objects that also have an "object_buoyancy" script applied to them.

-----

so currenty, if you want the ripples to disappear once the object stops or slows down, make sure that the settings on the "water_splashHandler" script are not set to 0, and that the other scripts mentioned above, aren't set to "always emit ripples".

-----

I have thought about building in an additional timer function as well... for example an object hits the water and immediately starts emitting ripples, but the timer also immediately starts counting down and when it reaches 0, the splashes/ripples disappear. Do you guys think this would be more useful/easy then the current setup?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.