Search Unity

SUIMONO - Customizeable Water System [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chingwa

chingwa

I'm not really positive but it looks like some kind of UV-stretching... does it only happen on specific presets? You could try checking the "use UV reversal" setting on the module object... you can also try turning the "refraction shift" and "refraction amount" settings all the way down and see if that has any affect.

2. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

use UV reversal - does not have any effect on it
    refraction shift set to 0 - gets rid of the lines, but as soon as you click the Play button it goes right back to .22

When the water plane is set to its default scale of 10 1 10 the water looks great. When I shrink it way down it looks pretty bad. Is there some way to scale down the water so it still look good when it is much smaller? Having a HUGE water plane is fine for a big area. But what about using it for streams, rivers, or small bodys of water?

Attached Files:

3. chingwa

chingwa

Interesting. Normally changing the x and z size shouldn't cause problems like this. I just double checked here and I'm able to resize just fine. There must be something else that is influencing this. If you give me your setup info I'll do my best to recreate this here... beta version, unity version, using dx11? using deferred or forward rendering? mac/pc?

4. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Using SUIMONO_Module & Surface strait from the prefabs with out any changes. Have it set to unity pro.
    Unity Pro 4.5.2f1
    PC
    Deferred (but I tried it with all of them)
    NOT using dx11 - should I be using DX11? (never tried changing it to 11 not sure what it would do)
    SUIMONO is 2. something I'm not sure what it is

5. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the info Ebolinux, if you check the "suimono_readme_2.0beta.txt" file thats in the suimono 2 folder it will say what version of the beta it is near the top. The latest version is 0.87, so if you have an older version you may want to upgrade. but let me know what version it is and I'll test it here.

DX11 will give you some additional features, but I don't think it would make a difference with the stripes... (though who knows, it might!). dx11 gives you tessellation on the waves, and some additional controls in the inspector.

6. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Version 2.0 BETA (0.85)
    Seems to work fine when its really big. Its only when I resize it and make it smaller that things get messed up.
    I have UniStorm on there as well. Not sure if anything like that would mess it up.

7. chingwa

chingwa

OK I checked out 0.85 here and was able to recreate these lines... exactly as you describe, by shrinking down the water surface. It's definitely a suimono problem (it isn't related to unistorm in this case). The good news is I also checked out version 0.87 and everything seems to be fixed. There were some updates to the normal calculation between 0.85 and 0.86 that must have addressed this issue.

I recommend you download 0.87 and update your project, you can download via the registration email you received or by logging in here:

http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/beta/

8. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

Thanks for the help!!

9. koter

koter

hi. dear developer

I got a big problem about the sea color is purple color
    my Pad is Samsung , details attachments by screenshot.

but in HTC M8 , it works fine~
    can U help me to solve this problem , so thanks about your help!!

Attached Files:

10. sooshicat

sooshicat

I'd buy this if the splashing wasn't god awful.
    The original preview video with the girl running around in the water looked great but playing the demo webplayer now is... not so much. The fact that the splashing animation & sound constantly repeats with the cubes sitting in the water even though they are not moving is far beyond annoying. And the splash animation as the character moves around in the water is ugly, annoying, and unrealistic. Might just be a bug in the webplayer but everything else is perfect apart from this little hiccup.

11. chingwa

chingwa

koter - just to make sure, is this happening with version 1.48? or is it happening with one of the 2.0 beta versions? if you're using it with 1.48 it's pretty much incompatible with most mobiles, but if you're using the beta let me know and I'll look into this.

sooshicat - thanks for your feedback!

12. koter

koter

Attached Files:

• buy.jpg
      buy.jpg
      File size:
      83.7 KB
      Views:
  13. Arcanor

Arcanor

Is anyone using the old version any more? Or is pretty much everyone using the beta now? I'm wondering about the stability of the beta if I make the purchase now. I'd rather not start using the "old version" just to switch to 2.0 soon.

14. Archania

Archania

I bought it and just put the older version in until I got the beta which I got the link and stuff over the weekend. Just need to drop it in.

15. chingwa

chingwa

koter - thanks, I just signed you up for the beta. and you should receive an email soon. I recommend taking down your invoice image :)

Arcanor - there are a LOT of people still using the old version... either they don't know about the beta or are just waiting for it to become the official version. The current beta is pretty stable and is a big improvement over the asset store version. There's a new beta update coming out this week that has a lot of little fixes and improvements, and should be even more stable and easier to use than the current version.

Archania - :) The old version is an embarassment to me now... I can't wait to get version 2 finalized and up on the store for everybody to use.

Arcanor likes this.
  16. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey @chingwa. As soon as I can I am going to purchase Suimono. Looks so amazing. Wanted to ask if you are going to raise the price when 2.0 comes out?

17. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Baldinoboy, thanks for the encouragement! The price will remain at $65 for the forseeable future, so even once 2.0 is final and up on the store it will still be the same price.

18. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Alright. Thanks for the quick reply. Will be buying soon:).

19. Ebolinux

Ebolinux

I set a body of water to have infinite ocean. under the ocean level I can see the under water effect and fog. On higher ground there are some lakes and smaller bodies of water. Those smaller water bodies no longer have any under water effects. Is there a way to get the infinite ocean and stuff have other smaller bodies of water have the under water effects? Think I have beta 87 or something like that.

20. Seith

Seith

Hi Chingwa, it's me again; just checking in once every few months to see how 2.0 is coming along... :)

21. chingwa

chingwa

Ebolinux - You should definitely upgrade to version 0.88, there were some changes made to improve the handling of multiple water surfaces in scenes. One of these was doing this type of vertical multi check.

Seith - Suimono 2 is coming along great! :) I really gotta get some screenshots of the latest version up... you can see the latest beta version in the background of this Tenkoku screenshot here...

I anticipate the beta period to finally be wrapping up before too much longer and I'm excited to get version 2.0 up on the store. There will be at least one more beta release before that though which I intend to be ready next week.

22. Chineis

Chineis

Hello, I´m having a samll problem here.
    I have Suimono and I´ve been using to make my project, so last week i upgraded to Unity Pro(was using unity free all the time) and after, the refraction plane is creationg refletion from all gmae objects that move.
    I building something like endeless ocean for instance.

How can i make the refraction be visible, but dont reflect the objects?
    I tried to check show reflection off, and really got deep into the suimono configuration, but no sucess.
    I´m in a really hurry with this.

Thanks in advance.

23. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Chineis,

for the dynamic reflections you can control what layers get reflected. Check out the "Suimono_reflectionObject" game object located under your Suimono_surface object. Any game object you don't want reflected should be on layers that you subsequently uncheck from the Reflect Layers"" attribute.

Additionally, the refraction coordinates can also be confused depending on various rendering factors (certain image effects on your camera for example). This often materializes as your scene refracting upside down, making it look like a false reflection. You can check the "use UV reversal" attribute on the Suimono_Module object if you run into this problem.

24. BoilermakerGames

BoilermakerGames

Hi Chingwa.

I´ve tried this but no sucess, it still reflects my charatcter, i´havent found use Uv reversal.
    Im using suimono 1.48

25. chingwa

chingwa

Ah yes sorry, I was speaking of Version 2.0. in version 1.48 you can control the layers under the "Water_ReflectionMirror" component. But 1.48 does not have the uv reversal option.... you can try removing image effects from your camera (not all of them cause this problem, but some are notorious for it), you can also try switching between forward rendering and deferred as this is mainly an issue in forward rendering. If you can post a screenshot of what you're seeing it may help me determine what problem you're having.

26. BoilermakerGames

BoilermakerGames

Changing to deferred made the tricks.
    It´s extremely heavier, i´ve got a 15 fps drop, but it´s working.
    Thanks.

27. chingwa

chingwa

28. GXMark

GXMark

Hi Chingwa,

I'm a paying asset store customer of Suimono and have tried to apply for the beta edition twice without any success.
    Please could you send me the beta copy mark.jsday@googlemail.com

Many thanks
    mark

29. GXMark

GXMark

Some questions about Beta 2.0 Running in DX11 Mode.

Product is looking very good thus far...

Here are the questions i have about suimono so far...

1. Have you implemented planer reflections from mountains etc onto the water?

2. I have an issue with my 3rd person character distorts when the ocean is directly behind. (Not in the water) Is this a known issue?

3. When underwater, i can't get a semi transparent view of the surface water its simply very opaque in color?

30. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Mark,
    1) Planar reflections work, though they do come with a performance hit for obvious reasons... make sure to check the "dynamic reflections" checkbox on your Suimono_Surface object, and also double check that dynamic reflections is checked on the Module object as well.

2) Can you email me a screenshot of what you see?

3) You can edit the underwater fog using the settings in the "underwater" tab on the Suimono_Surface object (you need to be in play mode for these to work). Are you trying to change these settings and they aren't having any effect?

31. GXMark

GXMark

1. I have not been able to get planar reflections to work by setting both the Dynamic Reflection Options. Here is a screen shot of this.

32. GXMark

GXMark

Hope this Beta 2.0 (0.89) feedback helps explain what i'm experiencing.

Current Platform : Windows 7 I7 CPU, NVIDIA 650 card, DX11 Enabled.

Frame rates seem to be pretty good around 80-90 FPS.

1. Dynamic Reflections not working when choosing both Dynamic Reflections
    [FIXED : ReflectionObject not enabled by default]
    Note : I found that although there are reflections even on the high strength it seems abit weak. Can you increase the strength even more for these issues. This test was done using Advanced Foliage Shader, RTP and TIme Of Day.

2. Underwater Refraction Bug when looking up below the water surface
    Note : If you turn down the refraction settings to zero the bug disappears

3. Surface Transparency Bug when trying to see the sun from below the water line

Scene View showing placement of sun

Game View showing effect
    Very dark. It seems that the underwater surface does not have any transparency settings to allow the sun or anything else to shine through. Adjusting the transparency for above water settings does not have any effect on improving this issue.

4. Object distortion bug

When an object (e.g. character has the ocean behind it a distortion around it occurs)
    It does not show up that well in the pic but its actually very bad on a high definition monitor.
    The part of the body with the sky behind it has no distortion.

Potential Fix
    the bug disappears if the far viewing frustum is lowered (e.g. 8!) such that it no longer intersects with the water plane. Obviously this is not workable distance but helps point to the issue.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  33. chingwa

chingwa

Great, thanks for all the screenshots. I'll look into these a bit and get back to you ASAP.

34. GXMark

GXMark

Feature Request

Above Water Fog Color:
    The color the water will blend towards as the Above Water Visibility distance is approached,

This is required to remove the sharp horizon lines where the water meets the sky. Although a distant fog blend is one approach usually the fog is needed for closer up visuals. The water color at far viewing distance needs to blend with the sky to create this effect.

35. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi Chingwa,

I don't know if this has been mentioned before or not, but I'll ask away just in-case it hasn't

In the preview video, I noticed that the ice looks very realistic indeed. Is it possible for the Ice to break under certain weight, IE the ice would be fine for lets say a person to walk over but will break with a vehicle that moves over it.

36. GXMark

GXMark

I'm getting a huge DX11 Performance Hit with frame rates down to 20 FPS when walking near the shore line. However in non DX11 Unity Pro mode the sea almost looks the same with dynamic reflections turned on getting 50 FPS. Am i missing something here or is the DX11 not giving that much more visual?

37. chingwa

chingwa

The only real difference between the pro shader set and the pro dx11 shader set is the wave tesellation function. If the dx11 version s causing you fps trouble the first thing I would do is go to the "tesellation dx11" tab and turn the "tess factor" down (usually 30 and under) and also turn the "tess spread" down as well (0.125 or below?)

All of the other lighting and depth features of the water are the same. If you have serious fps issues, and the above doesn't help, then you aren't losing much by using the non-dx11 shaders.

I've considered this in the past, but it always seemed to me that this can/should be handled better by other assets... either a 3rd party sky system w/ a distance fog feature, or by using the fog solutions that come with Unity. If I could recommend, in some of my projects I use the built-in-fog (in linear mode) to handle the distant sky-ocean blend and then for more scene specific fog closer to the camera I use the global Fog image effect.

No, the Suimono ice feature from version 1.x is an "all or nothing" type of ice surface. (and note, this has not been extended to 2.0 yet). For breaking ice the best solution is probably to use 3d models of different ice surfaces. If a heavy vehicle moves on top you could activate various rigidbodies to the objects to get them to "break up" and float away.

38. GXMark

GXMark

With the infinite ocean option selected i noticed it extends to the far clipping plane. However, with sky domes such as Time of Day they to extend to the far clipping plane. This creates a nasty horizon intersection side effect when the ocean plane meets the sky dome. Is there a way to scale the ocean inside the far clipping plane by a small factor. Would be very useful to solve these kinds of issues.

39. chingwa

chingwa

Currently there's not a way to do so through the interface... but you could edit the sizing code to suit your needs. You'd just need to keep track of your changes, and reapply them after any suimono updates. Or possibly using the built in unity fog could hide this intersection?

The sizing code is inside the SuimonoSurface.js script file... at line #1089:
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. setScale = moduleSplashObject.setCamera.GetComponent(Camera).farClipPlane/20.0;
    2. suimonoScaleObject.transform.localScale = Vector3(setScale,1.0,setScale);
    I'm still looking at the rendering errors you posted above. I hope to have an update for you soon.

40. GXMark

GXMark

Yes i found that scale code and made the adjustment. But thanks for reassuring me that its the right piece of code. Any chance of that being a slider on the main editor panel as its useful !

I'm going to post some visuals of what i've done with your product its totally amazing and its much more versatile than triton ocean, water 4 and tasheran, better water products ive used in the past and well this livenda water demo never seems to get released and i think its only gonna be a dx11 version.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  41. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks Mark! Glad you're happy working with suimono, despite a few bugs here and there! Can't wait to see what you're doing with it :) I'm going to be releasing an update, probably tomorrow, that fixes the rendering issues you brought up above as well as a few other niggling issues. I think you'll be very happy with the updated underwater rendering.

John-G likes this.
  42. GXMark

GXMark

Thanks for all your hard work on this. [She's a spitting image of my ex wife but she was a hopeless swimmer !!!]

43. GXMark

GXMark

Chief Detective is Back !

Surface Object Issue

Here is an issue i'm getting with aerial views looking on the shoreline. As you can see its very noticeable the intersection of the surface object plane with the rest of the ocean. Is there a way to remove this intersection problem as many games have top down looking views onto shorelines and oceans beds.

44. chingwa

chingwa

It's a bit hard to see what's going on here... can you send me a larger image? You can email it direct to konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com if you don't want to post it in a public forum.

45. GXMark

GXMark

Foam & Edge Horizon Issues

I'm having an issue with unwanted foam on the horizon. It looks ugly and wanted to know if there is a way to control the foam map which is shown with the anomaly. I've tried usual changes of Foam Scale but i don't want to mess with the nice effects im getting on the shore line as its set correct.

Is there a way to change this foam map without compromising the shoreline foam edge quality?

Scene View of foam map placement to land.

46. chingwa

chingwa

I think this may be alleviated a bit with the changes I've made in the next version. The issue is that the "surface high color" setting doesn't render the same between the near water and the distant water. I've built in a range function for version 0.9 that should blend them together a bit... but in the meantime you can try turning the alpha for this color all the way to 0...

You know, in most cases there is no reason to even see foam from that distance. I could build in a range function for the foam so that it blends to nothing in the distance... thoughts?

John-G likes this.
  47. John-G

John-G

Liking the new version, unfortunately it has broke my ocean scale by camera height functions.
    What function controls the amount of tiles used for the dx11 pro main waves group, my thinking is to increase the tile set while lowering the tesselation factor as camera height increases.
    Also is it possible to link the position of where this set of rules are displayed to where the camera is looking rather then to centered to camera center point.
    This would allow waves to be rendered where camera is looking when raised high above the waves.

48. GXMark

GXMark

I like the option of fading the foam into the distance as this will alleviate many of these issues. I think keeping it as a fade slider would be cool from the far distance of the plane (not the far clip plane as the water plane needs to be inside the far clip plane distance to remove the horizon intersection issues with sky)

49. RHD

RHD

I'm very keen on buying this as my Unity water is a little lame. Even in pro.
    But I am halfway through a project using Boat Controller (
    ) to navigate my boat and I'm wondering if the beautiful Suimono water is going to be compatible with that or, failing that, does it come with similar as I see objects floating in your demos though not specifically being driven.

My test demo here: http://hayesdavies.co.uk//Boat Test Intro1.html which would look much better with your waves!

50. chingwa

chingwa

RHD - The 2.0 beta version (which is what everyone above is showing pictures of) has a demo which comes with it's own boat example. Because of the 3d waves and such Suimono requires it's own built-in functions in order to determine proper waveheight for buoyant objects. Setting up your own boat is relatively straight forward, you just need to place Suimono buoyancy objects around the hull, and then tweak the tolerances for the type of buoyancy you need.

The video here is really old, and the waves and lighting are much improved since this, but it does show how a boat object reacts with the suimono waves. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.