Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

fps the defualt character controller, the SUImono interactive controller only currently works in a third person player setup

2. twobob

twobob

isnt that just 3rd person with a really close camera + the model mesh elided?
    and /maybe/ an inverted y axis?

just spitballing

3. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

yes ,but can this work with somthing like UFPS or some other system?

4. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Lets just say can the developer or someone get this to work with the default First Person Controller? I am willing to pay.

5. twobob

twobob

Jeepers, I am in the wrong job, this would be the second piece of paid work I would be throwing away.

By "Work With" do you mean like "Apply effects to and generally react to its depth relative to the water", because I already did that with the regular Standard Assets 3rd person camera. Seems like it would be even easier than that for the 1st person one.

Anyway, doable. Give the README a look over and check out the "CAMERA" setting in the modules and if you have a very specific piece of code (camera) you need to work in this context that could be looked at assuming you are willing to share it.

6. chingwa

chingwa

I've tested it here and it works just fine with the standard controller. There is nothing special about the controller that ships with the Suimono demo... it's just there as an example, you can use any controller you want as Suimono doesn't contain any specific controller code or reliances.

Just turn off the suimono controller, and import your own.

7. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Suimono version 2.0.06 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

There are various bug fixes and optimizations included in this release, and also some changes to fix rendering in Unity 5. In most cases water rendering should now be compositing correctly in version 5.0, however if you are running your project in Forward mode, you may still see depth and foam issues. In these cases I recommend switching to "Deferred" or "Legacy Deferred" whenever possible.

So, let's talk about Unity 5. The recent release of the full Unity feature set to all users, regardless of personal/free/pro licenses is a very welcome change. This means that in Unity 5 all users can now access the more advanced Unity features such as image fx, render-to-texture, grabpass, depth buffers etc. This means that all suimono users can now use the full "pro" features as they were originally intended. It also means that going forward more focus can be put on rendering the best water possible with the tools available.

To that end all Suimono development is now shifting exclusively to Unity 5 and "high-end" visual development. The next release will be optimized specifically for Unity 5 features, and will remove support for Unity "free" and the experimental mobile versions. The next release will also of course require Unity 5.0.0f4 as the base Unity target version. Development has already started on this transition and I've been experimenting with some possible improvements and additions. I'll have some more news on some of these exciting improvements soon!

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

UPDATE: 3/13/2015 - Suimono Version 2.0.06
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - FIX - Changed shader RenderQueues to render water properly in Unity 5.0.
    - FIX - Water Shaders now tint shallow and medium depth correctly.
    - FIX - refraction bleeding errors tweaked/reduced.
    - FIX - Fog and depth mismatch in infinite ocean (dx11, Unity 5).
    - FIX - Now has Smoother transitions from near ocean to far ocean.
    - FIX - Bug where overzealous positioning was causing large Physics latency.
    - FIX - Underwater "pink shader" errors and crashing in dx9 mode in Unity5.
    - FIX - Fixed overbrightening in water due to lighting changes in Unity5.
    (Note: Unity 5 users may need to raise the "overall brightness" setting to compensate).
    - FIX - Underwater surface rendering differences between Unity 4 and Unity 5.
    - FIX - Bubble effects now visible while underwater.
    - CHANGE - Removed "shadow amount" setting.
    - CHANGE - Moved Edge settings next to "Light Absorption".
    - CHANGE - Renamed "Foam & Edge" to "Foam".
    - CHANGE - Reformulated some preset settings.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

John-G likes this.
  8. John-G

John-G

Excellent will see if this fixed the issues I had with my dual camera setup and Tenkoku.

9. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

But it doesnt float. Can run down how you set that up with the standard controller

10. chingwa

chingwa

If it doesn't float then you can check and make sure your controller is NOT on the "water" layer. This layer is used for Suimono physics interaction. Try switching it to another layer like "default".

Edit: Also you need to add a buoyancy component to your controller object. Check out the docs :)

11. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

ok do you have to have a rigibody or can you just use the character controller?

12. chingwa

chingwa

Yes, a rigidbody is required on your object for the buoyancy to work properly.

13. diccon

diccon

I'm very interested in your package, but on my min spec test machine (4 core i7 laptop with GT525M card) your demo runs at around 3fps even with lowest settings selected. Is there any likelihood of some optimization to increase performance at the lowest settings?

Thanks!

14. twobob

twobob

version? 2.0.06 on that 3fps?

15. elias_t

elias_t

I had this problem too with the binary demos the publisher provides.
    I own the package and discovered that running a 32 bit version of the demo on 64 bit OS will give you 3 fps.
    The publisher should provide the 2 versions of the demo: 32 and 64 bit.

16. chingwa

chingwa

That's craaaazy.... why in the world would that be the case? I could understand why a 64bit version would have trouble at 32, but vice versa just seems ridiculous. I'll take a look at this today and see about putting up a 64 bit version.

@diccon can you say whether you're running 32bit OS or 64bit OS?

twobob likes this.
  17. twobob

twobob

True that. Been a bit of a slog getting this one to birth I think recently for the Author.
    Lots of "applicable" UT changes have hit his codebase, a total rewrite and free expansions.

I wonder if he isn't a clone... or three...

;)

18. twobob

twobob

I have a 64 bit OS, will go check too.
    (Current Demo Version: Suimono 2.0.05 (updated 2/6/2015)) <-- Am grabbing that one now

19. elias_t

elias_t

I thought that too. But when I downloaded your binary it gave me 3 fps as i told you before.
    When I compile the 32 bit vesrion on my 64 bit win7 OS I get also 3 fps. On 64 bit, it works just fine.

20. twobob

twobob

My findings are the same as they ever were for the 2.0.05 series release.

There is a GPU glut when standing by the waters edge that can drag it down to around 5fps

FiveFramesPerSecond.JPG
    That is EXACTLY the worst place to stand. I intentionally killed it.

and here it is in a great place to look.
    at better than 60 fps

betterThan60.JPG

64 bits seems the same as any other system as far as I can see in my case.

21. chingwa

chingwa

It seems to be a more complex issue then, as I also run a 64 bit OS and don't get a fps difference in the 32bit build. I've exported the latest version of Suimono (2.0.06) in both 64bit and 32bit for PC (mac version is still 2.0.05 for now). I also exported these from Unity 5 which, combined with the latest performance improvements, gives me a solid 60 throughout the demo scene. Would love to hear how it performs for you guys!
    http://www.tanukidigital.com/suimono/demo2.0/

twobob likes this.
  22. twobob

twobob

Okay....

Wait...

What is going on with the version number reported in the top left????

V2.0.0.04 (base 4.3) rc3?

I have deleted my previous - main - analytical post until you confirm I am actually testing the right version?

WastedTestsOrBadVersionTitle.JPG

23. chingwa

chingwa

sorry @twobob, It IS Version 2.0.06. I just forgot to update the "name" preferences on export, just like I forgot to update the "preview image" which is why it comes up blank. The version shown in the UI during play takes itself directly from the Suimono module. It's definitely the latest in both cases.

I'll go back and update these, and reupload just so the numbers match and there's a nice welcome greeting image.

24. twobob

twobob

great. hopefully some people will stump up a few test results... :)

I did note one thing I should report which is really lateral.
    the grass shader does not like the skybox... (note tiny edging where quad limits would be)

Thought you should know, the devil is in the details huh
    transparencyArtifacts.JPG

card I am testing on

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  25. elias_t

elias_t

I can confirm that the 32 and 64 bit versions run now ok, although the 64 bit runs faster.

26. chingwa

chingwa

@twobob I think it's just poor texture work on my end :/

@elias_t ah that's good to hear, thanks!

The demos have been updated with the proper labeling/icon/splash image. Otherwise they are the same as earlier this morning.

27. elias_t

elias_t

chingwa, I have an issue with the foam white.
    In your demo it seems correct, however in th 2.0.06 I get this:

foam_suimono.jpg

28. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm... what's your rendering mode? The demo was still running in Legacy Deferred from Unity 4 (even though I exported from Unity 5). I wonder if you're running in the new full Deferred if that's affecting the foam?

29. elias_t

elias_t

I had to go to Linear space instead of Gamma to get corrcet results.

Is there a way to add animated foam textures?

30. chingwa

chingwa

Also note, that the latest 5.0.0f4 has changed shader lighting somewhat... previously there was a 2x color multiple in most shaders, whereas they have removed that now in favor of some kind of multiple directly in the light. You can also try raising the "overall brightness" setting up to 1.0 or beyond to see if that helps. If the foam still is too dark for you let me know.

31. elias_t

elias_t

No, linear color space solved it. Thanks.

32. chingwa

chingwa

OK Great!

Animated foam texture isn't built in... but you could write your own script that replaces the foam texture in a series and feeds it back to the shader. I do this for the caustic textures in Suimono. There's an array that holds all the textures and then the fx_causticModule.js file swaps between them at a specified fps. You could re-engineer that to change the foam texture.

But just as a note.... the foam texture isn't a simple rgb texture, it's used more as a mask texture with each RGBA channel being used at different transparency levels to give a more interesting "fade-out" effect. Something to keep in mind. :)

elias_t likes this.
  33. elias_t

elias_t

ok. Noted.Thanks again. Will try at a later time the animated foam.

34. diccon

diccon

Wow thanks for your quick response! So I am running 64bit, and the new 64bit demo runs at around 15-20fps which is much better, though obviously not something I could ship. My main dev pc is also 64bit and runs the 32bit demo fine, so I think it is not a simple problem to diagnose without running a profiler.

I'll definitely keep an eye on this package, and if you make some more optimizations or we decide we can afford to target only high spec machines I will very likely pick it up :)

35. chingwa

chingwa

@diccon thanks for considering Suimono, and thanks for checking out the demos!

36. Frogger007

Frogger007

How compatible is Suimono 2 with Unity5.0.0f4 ?

37. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Frogger007,

Suimono2 works well with Unity 5.0.0f4 when using Deferred rendering mode.

There are some issues still with some image effects (any that use the depth buffer, because Unity 5 is forcibly changing the buffer mode :( ), and there are still some depth issues in Forward rendering mode. But otherwise all is groovy :)

38. radiantboy

radiantboy

Having problems with this, just bought it, Im using unity5, tried dx9 and 11. The water looks like it should in the game window, but when I hit play it just looks nothing like it did before hand, and is barely visible. see screenshots, before playing, when playing....

39. chingwa

chingwa

Hi RadiantBoy,

Did you merge the Suimono demo scene with your game scene? It seems like you have a number of elements in your scene that don't really need to be there. I recommend just dragging one Suimono_Module prefab, and one Suimono_Surface prefab into your scene and trying it that way...

40. radiantboy

radiantboy

i tried doing it normally, it looked like the water was upside down, but when i flipped it it was not visible. So then I tried simply copying everything from your demo scene, to make sure nothing was upside down. Neither experiment worked, these shots show my copy of your scene, if I do it normally it sort of works but the water looks like its upside down no reflection just foam etc. Im guessing due to Unity5 etc its not working out of the box anymore.

41. radiantboy

radiantboy

OK so I tried again, following readme. It works, but it doesnt really look too much like water, whats the layer covering the surface? Foam? Even adjusting all of that doesnt do much, how do I get rid of it altogether? The effect im looking for right now is clean reflective water, which is almost still, I can see its partially working where theres no foam, here it is on "reflective mirror" from calm waters.. I dont mind waiting until 2.1, which looks like it will be pretty U5 optimised.
    It's a pretty decent asset from what I can see in the demo scene. although my main points of note now are,

a) looks no where near as good as it does even in trailers from 2013,
    b) camera work on demo is so bad it lets the demo down alot.
    c) some buoyancy examples are very disappointing (actually the boat is VERY cool) the wooden things in the water just rapidly move up and down very quickly, nothing like what I would expect

Ive been following this package for a long long time, salivating at the quality in the videos, and the underwater stuff admittedly looks very cool (if not a little strange), so I think there's just something note quite right on mine. Once it is all working for me, how would I go about getting a UFPS guy to swim like your woman did? Any tips on how I can make it look nicer and do that would be great.

I can see a hell of a lot of time and effort has gone into this, looks really amazing, Im hoping 2.1 will sort my issues :)

Gaz.

42. chingwa

chingwa

I'm glad it's working for you now :)

The problem with the foam is a new bug with Unity 5... You can usually fix it by switching your rendering mode to "Deferred" (or "legacy deferred") but I'm also looking at ways to fix it in Forward rendering as well.

Also, currently, if you have some image fx on your camera you might also see problems with the water... image fx that use depth such as global fog, or sunshafts(and others) will almost certainly muck up the water rendering. For the time being I recommend disabling them until I can work out a solution.

Suimono should be able to do the clear water you're looking for very nicely... check the presets under "calm water presets" and try using the "calm clear" preset setting as a start. From there you can adjust the reflectivity or the height of the waves to get what you're looking for.

43. Therian13

Therian13

Hello chingwa,

I just wanted to let you know that I upgraded to Unity 5, and that weird glitch with the skybox appearing or disappearing has stopped. So it is good to go now.

However, I did notice that in Unity5, the depth mask doesn't seem to work anymore...
    I also can no longer change the transparency of the water.
    I tried some of the preset ones you had, but they don't have transparency anymore either. 0_o

But thank you again for all your help!

****UPDATE*****

I found out what is going on with the depth mask. (sort of)

It IS rendering, but for some reason it renders it like the camera has the rendering path on "Solid Color" (or in other words, it just shows the camera's "Background Color" instead of the boat, floor, etc.).

Trying different rendering paths on the camera have different effects. If I leave it as deffered, it will render the terrain only, even if something else is underneath it (in this case, the bottom of the boat).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  44. Autarkis

Autarkis

Hey chingwa,
    I did an export as a unity package of a scene containing suimono, and imported it into a new project, but I get the regular pink shader, showing it's broken, and reimporting the suimono package fixes it. Why is it not exporting everything properly, or am i doing something wrong?

Also, on the one scene where i got everything i want set up, suimono always resets its height to 3, and I have to fix it in the editor everytime. Weird...

45. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @Therian13 , thanks for the update and I'm glad things are working better now! I'm curious about the depthmask shader... you're using Suimono 2.0.06, correct? Does it work as expected in the included demo scene (the boat) or does it have the same problems?

46. chingwa

chingwa

@Autarkis usually if you're seeing pink water it's because it's trying to load a dx11 shader when Unity isn't actually set to dx11 mode. You can either switch the unity editor to dx11, or you can switch the "unity version target" on the suimono_module object in your scene to be "Unity Pro" instead of "unity pro dx11".

Also, if you're exporting a unity package you need to make sure the entire Suimono folder is included in the export. Otherwise, I'm not sure what would be causing this off the top of my head. Pink water is due to the above settings 99% of the time. If you still have trouble then let me know.

47. Therian13

Therian13

Hello chingwa,

The depth shader works in the demo, but not in any other scenes, even if I make a fresh prefab of it and the oceans.
    Also I still cannot change the ocean's transparency, even in the demo scene.

I am using 2.0.06.

48. Autarkis

Autarkis

Yeah, the project is already DX11, no worries.
    However, why does the water keep resetting itself in Y in my scene, no matter how high or low i set it in editor, when I switch to game view, it resets itself to the value of 3. its currently making it impossible to set up buyoancy on our meshes.
    Why does it reset itself??

49. Therian13

Therian13

Hello Chingwa,

I sent you an email with a new scene that shows the problem. (don't worry, it is MUCH smaller than the last thing I sent you!)

Hopefully you can find out what is causing the issue, because I have no clue. the depth mask seems to only work in the demo scene, and no where else.

still can't change ocean transparency either... I wonder if it's just an issue with Unity 5.

50. radiantboy

radiantboy

@chingwa Thanks dude, one question how do I actually set rendering mode to deffered, cant seem to find that anywhere. Also do you have an ETA for v2.1 ? I may just wait for that, Ive been waiting for years for Suimono anyway, always thought it was very cool. Keep up the good work.. You should write a tutorial on how to make a UFPS character swim like your demo, then all the UFPS guys will flock to this, we are all talking about it in the forum!