Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

@Birdiesign I'm only able to recreate this error when selecting "webplayer" in the build platform list. Are you sure you have it set to "PC, Mac and Linux Standalone"?

I was able to export to webplayer without errors by switching the code around to always return a value, though I'm not able to test the build because I no longer have a browser that supports webplayer. Try the following code, replacing that entire function:

Code (CSharp):
    2. public int PresetGetNum( string mode, string pName){
    4.    int setMode = -1;
    5.    int setFolder = -1;
    6.    int setPreset = -1;
    8.    #if !UNITY_WEBPLAYER
    10.    if (mode == "folder"){
    11.        //get preset directories
    12.        tempPresetDirsArr = new List<string>();
    13.        dirInfo = new DirectoryInfo(dir+"/").GetFiles("SUIMONO_PRESETS_*");
    14.        if (new DirectoryInfo(dir+"/") != null){
    15.            for (d = 0; d < dirInfo.Length; d++){
    16.                tempPresetDirsArr.Add(dirInfo[d].ToString());
    17.            }
    18.        }
    19.        tempPresetDirs = new string[tempPresetDirsArr.Count];
    20.        for (dn = 0; dn < tempPresetDirsArr.Count; dn++){
    21.            tempPresetDirs[dn] = tempPresetDirsArr[dn].ToString();
    22.            tempPresetDirs[dn] = tempPresetDirs[dn].Remove(0,dir.Length);
    23.            tempPresetDirs[dn] = tempPresetDirs[dn].Replace("SUIMONO_PRESETS_","");
    24.            tempPresetDirs[dn] = tempPresetDirs[dn].Replace(".meta","");
    25.            if (tempPresetDirs[dn] == pName) setFolder = dn;
    26.        }
    27.        setMode = setFolder;
    28.    }
    30.    if (mode == "preset"){
    31.        //get preset files listing
    32.        tempPresetFilesArr = new List<string>();
    33.        pdir = dir + "/SUIMONO_PRESETS_"+presetDirs[presetFileIndex];
    34.        fileInfo = new DirectoryInfo(pdir).GetFiles("SUIMONO_PRESET_*");
    35.        if (new DirectoryInfo(pdir) != null){
    36.            for (f = 0; f < fileInfo.Length; f++){
    37.                tempPresetFilesArr.Add(fileInfo[f].ToString());
    38.            }
    39.        }
    40.        px = 0;
    41.        for (nx = 0; nx < tempPresetFilesArr.Count; nx++){
    42.            if (!tempPresetFilesArr[nx].ToString().Contains(".meta")) px++;
    43.        }
    44.        tempPresetFiles = new string[px];
    45.        ax = 0;
    46.        for (n = 0; n < tempPresetFilesArr.Count; n++){
    47.            if (!tempPresetFilesArr[n].ToString().Contains(".meta")){
    48.                tempPresetFiles[ax] = tempPresetFilesArr[n].ToString();
    49.                tempPresetFiles[ax] = tempPresetFiles[ax].Remove(0,pdir.Length);
    50.                tempPresetFiles[ax] = tempPresetFiles[ax].Replace("SUIMONO_PRESET_","");
    51.                tempPresetFiles[ax] = tempPresetFiles[ax].Replace(".txt","");
    52.                if (tempPresetFiles[ax] == pName) setPreset = ax;
    53.                ax++;
    54.            }
    55.        }
    56.        setMode = setPreset;
    57.    }
    59.    #endif
    61.    return setMode;
    64. }

Birdiesign likes this.
  2. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

Yes, it's definitely set to "PC, Mac and Linux Standalone", but during the compile process which we start via the CourseForge plugin, the Unity window border info switches to "webplayer..." for some time, in the end it shows "PC, Mac and Linux Standalone" again. I never cared about this as everything was running fine. And i think it's the way it has to be as the CourseForge devs (in the beginning) had plans or wanted the option to make their game also browser playable or whatever. They also have other golf related software going on and maybe it also has something to do with this that the webplayer is still in play.
    I have to say i wrote these lines after just making a quick search for "webplayer" on their forum so probably i don't understand the whole logic behind this webplayer thing...
    I just think it's no error or something wrong with it when it shows "webplayer" during the compile process.

I will give your code a try now...

Thanks a lot!

chingwa likes this.
  3. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

Update...

With your new code the compile process seems to run normally!!

Will report back later because one build takes about 7-10 loooong minutes...

chingwa likes this.
  4. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

So far i can't get it to work on my course build. Maybe there are some functions which are not supported by the sim.
    But i also couldn't get the preset saving to work as expected after reading the tutorial for sure. Also the scaling of the mesh gets reverted here and there no matter if saving in play mode or in "stop" mode, scene view or game view and and and...
    But i keep on testing...

5. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

I think the problem could be that there seems to be no support for additional cameras or certain camera scripts in our golf sim.
    I also tried to add image effects and some assets depending on their own cams or cam scripts these days with no success.
    If you have another tip or workaround I could try feel free to tell me, I can try after the weekend. Maybe to get the water basically working without some advanced features or the need of cam scripts. But that's probably impossible I guess...
    Anyway thanks for your great support!

6. Untitl3d

Untitl3d

Hi
    Any news in regards to the all-new Suimono v3? hoping it supports the new Unity render-pipeline!

Vincent13122 likes this.
  7. wumn

wumn

Does SUIMONO Water System support HDRP?
    另外,你似乎会中文?

8. chingwa

chingwa

No, It does not support HDRP.
    Suimono 3 is in development, but I have not done any development for HDRP at this time.

对不起,我不会说中文,但我会说日语。

9. eblumrich

eblumrich

Am getting a persistent error:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.PresetLoad (System.Int32 ppos) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:1392)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.ReloadData () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:479)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.Start () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:424)

Any idea what this means?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

10. chingwa

chingwa

Seems related to loading presets but I'm not exactly sure why you are seeing this without more info. If you set the preset to -NONE- in the preset list do you still get this error? Also what is the selected platform in your project build settings (try PC/mac/linux if it isn't already)?

Let me know your version of Unity and Suimono and I'll see if I can recreate this issue on my end.

11. eblumrich

eblumrich

Actually- I discovered the solution to that issue- but:

I seem to now have this issue where the ocean seems to randomly jump up every couple of minutes, leaving the camera underwater for a half-second- the water goes down again, but there are the droplets on the camera.

Essentially, it looks like the water plane just changes position for a farction of a second.

BTW:

I am using the latest Suimono, and Unity 2019.2.0f1

12. eblumrich

eblumrich

This is an example of what I am speaking about:

13. chingwa

chingwa

@eblumrich Well I see from your 1-star review bomb on Suimono and Tenkoku and from your email that you simply want a refund. If you still want to troubleshoot this ocean problem then let me know, though I must say I feel you really jumped the gun and over-reacted. In any case good luck on your project.

John-G, PROE_ and Vincent13122 like this.
  14. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

Hello,

how can i make water sound quieter ? Love this Asset :)

15. chingwa

chingwa

@w0rksgames you can control the overall volume on the SuimonoModule object using the "max sound volume" slider under General Settings.

16. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

Ah that helps a lot, thanks for Your fast back writing !!

17. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

Hello again, : )

I have no material at the Buoy and it is completely white and I see in the example Video that it has material there :/

Why is the buoy white in my Asset ?

Would interest me ^^

18. chingwa

chingwa

Sorry but the buoy object is not included. (there is a white placeholder in the demo scene).

19. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

Okay, that explains it / thank you anyway ^^

20. Harekelas

Harekelas

Any updating news for Suimono?

21. chingwa

chingwa

@Harekelas No pics yet of version 3. Development is progressing though I think that a Tenkoku beta will be ready before Suimono is.

22. Efril

Efril

Hello @chingwa . Is it true that Suimono 3 will not be ready till the end of this year (even beta) and/or it will not work with old Unity rendering system (not LWRP/HDRP)?

23. chingwa

chingwa

@Efril It will not be available by December I don't think, though I should have more info about it fairly soon. It's being developed in the normal/standard Unity renderer and that is my current target. Once it is at a more complete state I'll investigate an LWRP version, and possibly an HDRP version whenever HDRP actually becomes feasible to develop for, but that still has lots of problems.

Vincent13122 and Rotary-Heart like this.
  24. Efril

Efril

@chingwa can I ask you about some of its features or you are not ready to answer for sure yet?

25. chingwa

chingwa

@Efril Send me a PM please, I'd prefer not to verbally commit to anything in public until I'm 100% sure of what will be making the cut.

26. DragonCoder

DragonCoder

This looks like an amazing asset. Wonderful effects!

Before i buy it, I'd need to know whether it supports my usecase:
    Can you do air pockets in a 2.5D perspective with it?
    That would mean having a cut-through mesh that forms a cave. That cave shall be half-filled with water and thus have a surface inside. Outside the mesh should be water too and most importantly, when seen from the side, the "see through water" effect should not be applied to the air pocket itself.

Huge thanks!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  27. chingwa

chingwa

@DragonCoder I'm having a little trouble visualizing exactly what you might need, but I suspect this is probably too specific for Suimono to render properly at least "out-of-the-box". Layering water surfaces inside each other as in an underwater cave will not work without some kind of trigger system to turn off the outside water surface once you enter the cave (and turn it back on when you leave the cave). Suimono doesn't have anything like this built-in. Actually cutting a hole through the water surface is not possible at this time, unfortunately.

Teila likes this.
  28. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

Hello ^-^,

- how do i get this error message away ?
    https://ibb.co/zhLLdGc

would be very happy if this is no longer displayed !!

29. chingwa

chingwa

@w0rksgames I've not seen this error before. Was this on a new install, or did you move Suimono from a separate project?

30. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

I've always had this error message, I thought that would be normal because everything works fine.

This error message annoys me a bit, why is that so ? °°

no i dont install it from new / no seperated project.

31. chingwa

chingwa

32. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

I have now found the Error :) !!

This Error-Message only comes because I renamed the folder " SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2 " to " Water "

after that this Message does not come anymore.

Too bad I wanted to rename it "Water" so that I can orientate myself better : /

33. chingwa

chingwa

That's great to hear, glad you found the issue! Unfortunately the way Suimono is currently setup you can't rename the folder without some problems occurring. I'll see about fixing this for a future update.

34. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

That would be awesome if I can rename Asset folders at will ! !

you can not move the Asset Folder to another folder, then this error message will appear again.

It's really annoying !! that absolutely has to be changed °o° !!

That would make me happy if you change that :)

35. CrowaL

CrowaL

[edit] Nevermind.. i noticed i had to press the "+" button and create a "NEW" preset. Really different from the current Unity prefab workflow.. but oh well.

Hi @chingwa

Suimono 2.1 doesn't seem to save my settings.. they always reset back to the prefab settings.

During runtime I

1) "Copy component"
    2) Then paste them back into the gameobject as values afterwards.
    3) Press apply
    4) But it still reverts back to the original prefab settings when I play the game once again.

I even check in the Resources folder to make sure it's the new values. But after playing it reverts back to the original values.

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  36. chingwa

chingwa

Glad you got it working! Yes the current preset method is now a bit outdated. I'll likely be moving it over to use Scriptable Objects, which seems to be the modern preferred method of doing such things in Unity.

CrowaL likes this.
  37. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

Where can i find in the Script " Suimono Object " Surface Blend Color ? ?
    in which lines ?

38. chingwa

chingwa

This should be the "blendColor" variable...

Code (CSharp):
    1. Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject suimonoObject;
    2. suimonoObject = GameObject.GetComponent<Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject>();
    3. suimonoObject.blendColor = new Color(1f,0f,0f,1f);

39. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

ok, but . . in which lines ? °° I don't want to search for long.

40. chingwa

chingwa

Hmm? I'm not sure what you're asking, can you rephrase the question or tell me what you're trying to do?

41. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

I want to change "Surface Blend Color" under "Water Surface settings". As soon as i change the Blend color it puts it always back when i am starting the Scene : (

42. chingwa

chingwa

Ah I see, you probably want to check the presets section and set it to "none" otherwise it will load whichever preset is selected when starting the scene. Setting it to none will allow you to edit the surface settings while in edit mode. You can save a new preset from your current settings once you are happy with them (either in edit or play mode).

43. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

where can i select "none" °° ?

44. w0rks-Dev

w0rks-Dev

ok now i found it ! !, now i feel stupid, because I haven't seen it. Thanks for Your help !!

chingwa likes this.
  45. CrowaL

CrowaL

Hi @chingwa

I notice the FPS drops by 15-20 when I'm using the water.

I tried disabling a few of the options, including Enable Advanced Caustic FX. But the FPS usage was still pretty high. I disabled everything and still noticed the master module takes 10fps.

I'd like to use multiple water modules in a scene, but it just compounds the FPS drops :eek:

Do you have any tips on how I can get a better FPS?

Thanks

46. chingwa

chingwa

@indieDoroid The main place to look for performance bottlenecks is the transparency and reflection settings on the module object. These two functions re-render your scene at different positions to calculate each effect, so you need to be careful how much of your scene is being rendered for each. It's also recommended to optimize your scene as much as possible as any problems already occurring in your scene will only be compounded by these two functions.

Typically for transparency you should only render game layers/objects that appear below the water surface, and should set the transparency layers to as few objects as possible.

Similarly the dynamic Reflections setting should only render layers/objects that you need to be reflecting in the water surface. You can choose to use a static cubemap or a solid color for reflections instead which should save even more performance in this area (at the cost of some visual fidelity).

You also may try reducing the tessellation settings which should also help improve performance.

Note that you should only have one Module object in your scene at a time. Having multiple modules is unnecessary and will certainly compound performance problems. You can have as many surface objects as you like.

47. CrowaL

CrowaL

Great! Ok I'll give these a try. Yea I think currently the module is rendering the default layer.

I'll let you know if I run into any other issues! Thanks :)

48. nikix22

nikix22

Hi :) I had previously error in asset on scene load and I finally founded what was the issue and it is FIXED NOW! :)
    Error was:
    Assertion failed on expression: 'ptr == NULL || !HAS_ROOT_REFERENCE(GET_CURRENT_ALLOC_ROOT_REFERENCE()) || GET_CURRENT_ALLOC_ROOT_REFERENCE() == GET_ROOT_REFERENCE(s_MonoDomainContainer, kMemMono)'
    UnityEngine.GUISkin:OnEnable()

This was happening always on project opening.

Problem was because presented Suimono prefab was in the scene BUT without prefab connection to original prefab from assets. You should just place prefab in the scene and take care that there is always connection with the prefab presented.

Greets!

49. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @nikix22 Thanks for the report. Can you tell me what version of Unity you saw this error message with?

50. nikix22

nikix22

Hi :) current version is 5.6.7f1 and it was hapening in all version before.

chingwa likes this.
unityunity