Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @Efril Thank you for the video! That is a very strange situation. One thing I would check is the 'Auto-Advance System Timer' setting on the module object (under advanced water settings). This timer controls the position of waves and is meant to be used over a server to sync wave positions for multi-player. By default this is enabled and advanced automatically.... Perhaps this setting is being affected by code outside Suimono?

2. Efril

Efril

@chingwa , 'Auto-Advance System Timer' is checked. I was able to reproduce the issue with clear new project with default camera, default time settings and no other code which can affect Suimono system. I also checked different presets including built in presets and issue persists with them also. Can I send you this clear project so you can play with it?

3. chingwa

chingwa

4. PROE_

PROE_

Hi, just wanted to ask, does this shader support shadows? :)

5. chingwa

chingwa

@PROE_ No, not currently. (Though this is something I have investigated for the 3.0 update)

6. PROE_

PROE_

@chingwa Ok, thanks for the answer. What's or is there any estimated release date for 3.0?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  7. chingwa

chingwa

Release date is undetermined, as it's currently in Development Hell :D Sometime this year... (sorry to be so vague!)

8. PROE_

PROE_

@chingwa Okay, no problem! ;) I have time to find good water shader with shadows probably till April/May so will be patient for now and wait for the 3.0 version then. Good luck and I hope I'll end up with your solution! :)

chingwa likes this.
  9. pdehn

pdehn

I started testing Suimono in a simulation project recently and am liking the results so far.

This might be out of scope for you, but I was wondering if there's a way to approximate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langmuir_circulation - basically streaks of foam running parallel to wind direction.

If not directly supported, even advice on approaches to modifying your system myself would be appreciated - e.g. would it be easier to modify your shader to procedurally add foam along lines, or maybe just adding a "foam mask" texture that I could rotate based on wind direction?

10. chingwa

chingwa

@pdehn Glad to hear you're enjoying Suimono so far! Unfortunately It is not possible to simulate these types of currents in Suimono directly. You might have some luck placing textured planes of foam just underneath the water surface and orient them to approximate this type of current behavior, however this would only render properly on a flat or near - flat surface. (i.e. they wouldn't deform with vertical wave-heights properly).

It is perhaps possible to edit the Suimono shader to add this type of effect in, but it is quite out of the scope of what is intended. I have had "water decals" as a item on my to-do list for a long time, but I don't think this will make it into current Suimono. Most of my Suimono dev-time is being put into Suimono 3.0, which is a complete overhaul (and yes decals are on the to-do list there as well).

11. wood333

wood333

I just added Suimono to a Unity 5.6.6 scene, and had a couple of surprises:

1. Suimono changed the layer of my fencing. Found and fixed.

2. There is flickering underwater and on the shoreline above water.

3. Performance is terrible when I turn the camera away from the water?

4. When I pause the game, the scene view in the editor is broken.

Can you help?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  12. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @wood333

1. This layer assignment bug occurs intermittently, and has been plaguing the product for a long time. I'm working on a fix for this currently and hopefully will have a solution soon.

2. I'm not sure what would cause this....can you post a short video? It might give me a better understanding of what's happening. Or email me a short clip at konnichiwa@tanukidigital.com?

3. I'm not sure why performance would tank when looking away, if anything it should be worse when looking at the water.

Performance in Suimono is generally affected by Transparency settings, and also Reflection settings. Both of these functions re-render your scene based on various parameters, so a complex scene could cause some performance trouble in this regard. I recommend only including layers in the transparency rendering that will be underneath the water surface, such as terrain or, underwater animals, or things that interact with the water surface. Including other layers is wasting performance with no visual benefit. (look in the Module setteings to add/remove transparency layers).

Reflections, similarly, should only render object layers that should be reflecting int the water surface. (these are located on the SuimonoObject settings). Being mindful of these two settings should allow you to get much better performance out of Suimono.

4. When playing the scene, the editor camera will not render transparency/reflections proprly, as these are both calculated from the in-game camera perspective.

13. EvalDaemon

EvalDaemon

So I've read through some of the similar issues and I guess this deals with the zbuffering of transparent objects after the refraction? Anyhow I finally fixed this by turning off underwater refraction and using the Camera Filter Pack asset full camera script effect "Distortion Flag" which gets it looking pretty much like the refraction but without the transparent object issue. If anyone has a better solution lets hear it. Thanks.

14. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah it's due to transparent objects not writing to the depth buffer. You can try opening the Scripts/Suimono_UnderwaterFog.cs file and un-comment the [ImageEffectOpaque] at line 141. This does on occasion fix these transparency issues, but it can also cause unpredictable rendering elsewhere, which is why I have it off by default. Try it out, it may be fine in your project.

15. wood333

wood333

The issue is that when I look away I am looking into other assets (fort and some speed trees). My FPS was always dropping when I looked back at the fort, it's just more noticeable with Suimono because Suimono has a 30 FPS drop when I look back into the fort. I get the same drop with other water assets, just not so severe. Water assets don't make as much of a difference if I look up at the sky. It's as if there is a cost to the water plane when I look across the ground, even if its beneath the terrain.

16. wood333

wood333

This also changes the Layer Collision Matrix in the Project Settings.

17. wood333

wood333

The underwater flickering goes away when I uncheck "Inherit Light Direction" under caustics FX. I do not see what I think of as caustics.
    Cau.PNG

I like the golden ball reflection from the sun, but it only lines up with the reflections if the camera is pointed at the sun. Sun.PNG

18. chingwa

chingwa

@wood333 Yes the layer assignment bug also affects the physics matrix. You can follow the below steps to try resetting the layer assignments:

1. disable any SuimonoSurface objects in your scene, then disable the SuimonoModule object.
    2. go to your project layers list and delete any Suimono-specific layers from the list.
    3. Now enable the module only, and it *should* re-add and re-assign the layers.
    4. Re-enable the surface and try playing your scene.

If the above fails and Suimono is still mis-assigning layers, you can set the layers manually by turning off the 'set automatic layers' option in the Module configuration settings. Let me know if this is the case and I can tell you specifically which objects go with what layers.

19. chingwa

chingwa

That is certainly not what caustics are supposed to look like. The inherit light direction just changes the caustic casting direction based on the light direction, for a more realistic looking effect. Since it's causing trouble I do recommend disabling this.

You are the second person this week to bring this issue to my attention. Can I ask what you are using to render your sky? Is it a sky/weather asset from the store?

20. wood333

wood333

I use Unistorm.

21. wood333

wood333

When my Player began falling through the terrain I knew it was a collider issue. I fixed it directly in project settings physics

22. joliva_unity

joliva_unity

Hello, I have some problems with asset.

Can someone help me?

First problem is dynamic reflection. When I rotate main camera in Z, the reflection disappear.
    1.jpg 2.jpg

Second problem is specular in foam. I set specular 0 but foam always shine. I set foam red for better view.
    3.jpg

Thanks and sorry for my english. :oops:

23. chingwa

chingwa

@joliva_unity Thank you for the screenshots! I'm not sure what is happening on the reflection disappearing. I've tested in a project on my end and I can't recreate this error when rotating the camera. You might try disabling 'occlusion culling' on your camera to see if that has any affect? (The reflection settings will mirror the settings on the main camera)

The specular on the foam not being affected by specular settings is definitely a bug! I'll get this fixed for the next update.

24. joliva_unity

joliva_unity

Thanks for fast response!

I have disable 'Occlusion Culling' and the problem has disappeared. I will try not to use OC for performance or change parameters.

Thanks a lot!

chingwa likes this.
  25. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Suimono version 2.1.7 is now ready for download.

Note: This version has been tested with and should be working fine in all Unity version, including the latest Unity 2019.1.

-----------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 2.1.7
    -----------------------------
    WHAT'S NEW:
    - Added slider to control strength of transition fx. (Module General Settings)

CHANGES:
    - Increased maximum underwater fog distance from 100 to 500.

BUG FIXES:
    - Fixed Unity 2018.3+ bug regarding prefab disconnection error message.
    - Fixed bug with Preset UI expanding off of screen.
    - Fixed possible nullRef error in object editor UI.
    - Increased maximum depth testing from 5,000 to 30,000.
    - Unchecking Set Automatic Layers now prevents automatic physics layer overrides.
    - Fixed unintended name conflict in DistanceBlur shader.
    - Fixed bug that force rendered caustics onto underwater surface.
    - Fixed bug preventing foam from respecting surface specular settings.
    - Fixed some rare SuimonoObjects and SuimonoModule null reference errors.
    - Fixed issue preventing proper water transparency when caustics are disabled.

26. zeb33

zeb33

Hi , am considering purchasing. Need system that can push objects with waves but noted in the documentation that lateral movement is greyed out. Is this something that is broken or planned for future? Thanks

27. chingwa

chingwa

@zeb33 There is an included function in Suimono that will push an object with the wave direction. This is setup using the "Inherit Force" setting on each buoyancy object that you setup in your scene. You can also adjust the strength of this movement using the "Force Amount" setting, as well as adjust how high a wave needs to be to contribute to this force with the "Force Height" setting. Please note that this will apply sideways/lateral force to a object based on the current Wave Direction setting on the Suimono surface object.... it is single directional.... for example it will not be able to apply force around a curved river.

28. zeb33

zeb33

Thanks, that's great. Time to purchase :)

29. radiantboy

radiantboy

how do you stop suimono adding the under water fog script automatically?

30. chingwa

chingwa

@radiantboy On the module, uncheck "set automatic FX" at the top, then go to your camera and delete the underwater effect if it's already there.

31. radiantboy

radiantboy

thanks I tried that but it still seems to add it

32. chingwa

chingwa

@radiantboy I double checked here and it *should* be working, are you using a recent version? Let me know what version you're using and I'll double check the code and give you a patch.

33. radiantboy

radiantboy

Thanks, its weird, the script is not turned on actually youre right, but when I cut to my camera is shows wrong angle for a bit and with an underwater effect on the camera, then about a half second later it goes to right angle/position and I dont see the effect (which is what I want). The main reason for all of this is to get aroudn the time it takes the underwater script to kick in when I cut to a camera, seems to take 1 second, so im trying to now avoid that...

Its hard to say what is happening to the camera when I turn on it on underwater, but something happens to its position briefly (different angle and seems to be falling), and applies some effect, then about 5 frames later it works as expected.

34. chingwa

chingwa

Hmm. That is pretty strange. Are you starting the scene underwater? Or are you switching from a different camera to a camera that is underwater?

35. radiantboy

radiantboy

camera A starts underwater, then comes out of the water, then i cut to camera B which is under the water already

36. radiantboy

radiantboy

Apologies, the movement of the camera was down to me messing up some animation frames. So the only issue is really that it takes a few frames to start up the underwater fog, seems to be the distance fog, anyway I can get away without that so Im ok now! Cheers! Im working on a music video in unity and picked suimono water for that extra beauty :) Will post link once its done.

37. chingwa

chingwa

Ah good! I'll check out the startup time and see if there is something in the code that can be improved.

radiantboy likes this.
  38. mcmorry

mcmorry

I've been testing the latest version in Unity 2019 and I get this exception when I try to change a preset:

DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "G:\PROJECTS\SUIMONO 2.0\SUIMONO_V2.1.2 (base 5.0) - C - rc3\Assets\SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2\RESOURCES\SUIMONO_PRESETS_Built-In Presets\SUIMONO_PRESET_Blue Ocean with Waves.txt".

Some hardcoded path? I don't have drive G

39. chingwa

chingwa

@mcmorry Hey that is my development drive, what in the world? Are you using 2019.1 or are you using a beta version? You just click a preset in the list and it gives you this error?

40. mcmorry

mcmorry

I'm using 2019.1.4f1.
    I just imported and clicked on the preset before entering in play mode.
    After entering play mode all worked fine. I'm able to create my new preset and select it, also after leaving play mode.

41. chingwa

chingwa

Ah I see. So the first play is resetting everything to the local computer. This ought to be taken care of on import instead, sounds like a bug, I will check it out.

42. radiantboy

radiantboy

A music video I made which is beautiful mostly thanks to Suimono.

ZGoodwin likes this.
  43. chingwa

chingwa

Awesome! :D

radiantboy likes this.
  44. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

Hi,
    i'm trying to get your asset working in Unity 5.2.3f. I have to use this version because the golf course design plugin called CourseForge, which i'm using, only works in this Unity version.
    When i'm trying to compile my course i get some warnings and this error:

Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs(1191,28): error CS0161: `Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.PresetGetNum(string, string)': not all code paths return a value

Any help or information is welcome!

45. chingwa

chingwa

@Birdiesign What is your compile target... PC/Mac? In looking at the code it seems this would only occur when compiling to the old Webplayer.

46. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

Target is PC. Dx11, win10 if it matters. I also was reading something with "web player" in the script's lines around these errors. But I have to say I have nearly no knowledge about this "language". If it helps I could also copy the other "yellow" warnings later this evening when back on my PC.

In Unity I can make your asset work nicely, in editor and game view as well. So maybe the problem lies on the CourseForge side I'm afraid. But your asset looks fantastic, would be a pain not being able to use it.

47. chingwa

chingwa

@Birdiesign Yes please post the full warning list when you get the chance. You could try commenting or deleting the "if webplayer" (and "end if") lines surrounding that function at line 1191, it's possible that's causing a conflict despite compiling to PC.

48. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

Yes, I will post the other warnings too.
    This noon I already tried some wild trial and error things like \\ (or was it //) in front of some entries but then other errors appeared as a result.
    I will try again later and follow your suggestions as carefully as I can...
    Thanks

49. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

That's what i got now after importing your asset and trying to compile my course without actually setting up or using the water. The only things i did in this example was adding the module and the surface to my hierarchy.
    But in fact as soon as your asset is imported, even when not used, i can no more compile.

Edit... just trying to figure why my bbcode image is not working...
    Okay, imgur didn't work here...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  50. Birdiesign

Birdiesign

Okay, when deleting these two lines you mentioned like you see here...

...i get these when starting the compile process...