Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

They should be just on the right side next to the preset. Can you post a picture of what you see?

2. unicat

unicat

3. chingwa

chingwa

OH haha What's going on??? It looks like a bug in the UI and how it stretches. you can probably get to see the +/- options if you make the Inspector window narrower. I will do some tests here on my end and do a bug fix.

4. chingwa

chingwa

I can't seem to recreate this UI issue. I've tried in 2018.2.2 (PC). Are you using Mac by any chance?

5. unicat

unicat

No, i am on a PC. Tried it in an fresh project too. Looks the same. The demo scene seems empty.

6. chingwa

chingwa

What version of Suimono are you using? I assume the current 2.1.5 release? The demo folder can be deleted and then re-imported if necessary, it seems like there might have been an install problem.

7. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

I'm happy to announce that Suimono version 2.1.6 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

This is a maintenance update that fixes a number of issues. It specifically addresses PS4 build issues, some problems with buoyancy not engaging at distance, and some cosmetic fixes for erroneous over-brightening problems. This release has been tested and is confirmed working with both Unity 5.x, Unity 2017.4, and Unity 2018.2, however if you run into any problems while using these latest versions please let me know.

Suimono 3.0?
    Suimono started life as a relatively basic interactive water system on the Asset Store way back in September 2012! Over the years it has been under continuous development in order to offer new features and to keep pace with Unity engine changes and updates. Suimono and Unity have both grown and improved exponentially during that time. That being said, the system has some weak points that are difficult to address in it's current form. Over the past year I have been researching experimental water rendering possibilities, in order to improve Suimono and address these weak points. I am still in the development phase but am excited by this progress so far. My main goals for this research include improved water and wave rendering, much improved performance overhead, better multi-camera and VR support, and deeper integration with modern Unity tech (SSR, Deferred Shading etc.). Timeframe is not decided, but I hope to have a more detailed information about 3.0 soon.

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

-------------------------------------------------------------
    A note about SRP (Scriptable Render Pipeline) in Unity 2018
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    (August 2018)
    Many people have asked about the new SRP system in Unity 2018. Because Unity's new HDRP and LWRP Render Pipeline is still in Preview mode, and because of the massive differences between these and the current default rendering system, I've decided to take a "wait and see approach" to when/if Suimono will support these modes. Unfortunately the amount of work involved in upgrading to SRP is not trivial, and it's best to wait until these systems are at least no longer in "preview mode" as Unity describes them. Once SRP is more mature I will take another look and reconsider if I will rewrite Suimonoto support them.

-----------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 2.1.6
    -----------------------------
    WHAT'S NEW:
    - Added 'Clear Mode' option to camera tools. Allows override of clear flag inheritance on reflection camera.

CHANGES:
    - Raised default Buoyancy activation range to 5000.
    - Added Mesh Collider to farplane surface prefab. Helps prevent Buoyancy detection fail.
    - Underwater camera component is no longer added if underwater rendering is turned off on module.

BUG FIXES:
    - Fixed shader errors under PS4 that were preventing build completion (Lerp/Dot ambiguity).
    - Fixed Depthmask2 shader over-bright error.
    - Fixed object editor issue when expanding tabs.
    - Fixed bug where editor was showing wrong skin color (dark/pro skin vs light skin).
    - Reflection Color setting now affects underwater reflection as well.
    - Adjusted Caustic lighting code so it doesn't reduce to 0 intensity.
    - Removed buoyancy frustum occlusion code causing strange buoyancy errors.
    - Fixed screen uv edge smearing underwater and with water droplet effects.
    - Fixed Underwater surface flickering error.
    - Fixed underwater transparency over-bright error.
    - Fixed Reflection over-bright error.
    - Darkened underwater fog color matching.

Teila, ksam2, Dwight_Everhart and 5 others like this.
  8. mwituni

mwituni

Suimono 3.0...

...drool

9. Parallel_

Parallel_

Hi, how would this asset work with a mesh deformer like Megafiers or Mesh Deformation, to accentuate and make some waves break? would one be able to identify a specific Suimono wave for mesh deformation?

10. chingwa

chingwa

I don't think it would work with mesh deformation, though I have not tried it. The shader is very specific and at the very least I think the existing waves and normals would not render properly with outside deforms.

11. dlstilts

dlstilts

HI I am trying to change the value of the wave scale with code but I cant figure it out?
    im trying waveScale = value; in the suimino object script but it doesn't work?
    I want to set the wave value higher or lower at certain points of the game.
    Please help. Thanks

12. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @dlstilts By default the system is set to use the Beaufort value for wave heights, so you either need to access the BeaufortScale variable like so...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class TestSetWaveHeight : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float beaufortScale = 1f;
    7.     public float waveHeight = 1f;
    8.     public float largeWaveHeight = 1f;
    10.     private Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject suimonoObject;
    12.     void Start () {
    13.         suimonoObject = GetComponent<Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject>();
    14.     }
    16.     void Update () {
    17.         if (suimonoObject != null){
    18.             suimonoObject.beaufortScale = beaufortScale;
    19.         }
    20.     }
    21. }
    ... OR you need to first set the 'customWaves' setting to true and then you can individually access waves and large waves, like so...

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class TestSetWaveHeight : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public float beaufortScale = 1f;
    7.     public float waveHeight = 1f;
    8.     public float largeWaveHeight = 1f;
    10.     private Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject suimonoObject;
    13.     void Start () {
    14.         suimonoObject = GetComponent<Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject>();
    15.     }
    17.     void Update () {
    18.         if (suimonoObject != null){
    20.             suimonoObject.customWaves = true;
    21.             suimonoObject.waveHeight = waveHeight;
    22.             suimonoObject.lgWaveHeight = largeWaveHeight;
    24.         }
    25.     }
    26. }
    Note that if using the beaufort scale, it should be in the range from 1 (no waves) to 12(high ocean waves).

13. Fattie

Fattie

Quick question guys ..

As you know it explicitly says NOT recommended for VR...

screenshot 2.png

Interestingly, I'm just looking at a 2-3 year old project of ours (so looking at it, that was 2.1.2 Suimono),

which indeed was entirely VR (on captive high-end PCs of the day .. I think 1060? cards at the time 960??)

and it did in fact work, actually perfectly.

(I cannot really remember the details of the scenes, how we programmed it or whatever at the time; I doubt we customized Suimono {if that's even possible}, it would have been stock.)

My questions,

(*) is it the case that it "works on VR but could be slow" or does it (perhaps nowadays?) just plain "not work at all" on Vive?

(*) is anyone using Suimono in VR these days?

Any thoughts, thanks! Fattie

14. Fattie

Fattie

{More on that, TBC the old version simply doesn't load now, as you'd expect, when the whole project is updated all the way to latest Unity .. you get this sort of woe ..

screenshot.png

obviously that's fine, you wouldn't expect an ancient version to run in today's Unity!}

So I'm wondering if, in a word, you "can use" current Suimono with Vive ?

My "old" Suimono appeared to work fine, heh!

15. chingwa

chingwa

@Fattie It's not that it doesn't work in a VR project, it's that it doesn't work perfectly in a VR project. Certain rendering features of the water (Reflections, Transparency) are only rendered from a single perspective and thus in the dual camera environment of VR one eye will look wrong, thus ruining the VR effect or causing disconcerting visual errors. Some of these features can be worked around, for example turning transparency off, and using a static cubemap or color for reflections, in which case VR should work OK.

I've had some customers doing this for their VR projects and they seem happy with this trade-off, but you aren't then rendering Suimono to it's fullest which is why I don't recommend it.

Suimono 2.1.2 is ancient at this point :D

16. Fattie

Fattie

Got it !

So in short

- transparency off,
    - static cubemap or color for reflections

and should be workable. Thanks for the prompt reply!

17. MakeGames2

MakeGames2

Hello, should the water look ok with shadows off? If I turn shadows off I get a whole lot of flickering on the water and I can't figure out why. Either it just requires shadows to be on which seems kind of odd or I'm just missing something. I'd have to guess I'm just missing something with some camera thing or some setting somewhere but I've switched a lot of things and can't figure it out. I've also tried with Unity 2017 and 2018 and seems to still happen.

18. chingwa

chingwa

@MakeGames2 yes, this is a bug. I am away from my office for a few days but can take a look at a fix for this when I return. In the meantime you'll need to keep a light in your scene that has shadows enabled.

MakeGames2 likes this.
  19. Harekelas

Harekelas

So good to hear that wave rendering methods are going to be improved!
    SUIMONO got the best underwater effects, but surface waves are not really competitive to Ceto or Ultimate Water System in my opinion.
    Though they are deprecated, but still many people uses them in their project (including me).
    But if SUIMONO can achieve more realistic wave visuals than now, I'll easily switch to SUIMONO.

chingwa likes this.
  20. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@chingwa As HD & LW RPs are now a bit more stable, did you have a chance to start porting Suimono into these pipelines?

21. chingwa

chingwa

@TerraUnity no not yet. I am currently concentrating on a 3.0 version for Suimono, and will be looking into SRP support for that once it gets closer to a release state. I will not be porting 2.x version of Suimono to SRP.

TerraUnity likes this.
  22. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@chingwa Thank you so much for the reply, hope it goes well with the version 3, excited to see this in HDRP.

23. myownbot

myownbot

Hello,

it's my first day with Suimono and I'm not complaining (despite some flickering issues because of 3rd char camera skripts, I guess)

I'm wondering why the foam looks like after a chemical incident. I use Unity 2017.4.14f1, GTX960 and the demo scene out of the box (2.1.16). The

Attached Files:

24. chingwa

chingwa

a Chemical Incident.. :D
    In your screenshot the foam is being lit by the low sun which is why it looks orange. This is also is probably an artifact of not having any proper post-process effects on the camera that would allow higher dynamic range and tonemapping which would make the scene more interesting color-wise. including those things in demo scenes is always problematic (the customer might already have post-process in their scene, or a different version that would cause conflicts etc.) so I always leave them out of the download.

Third party camera scripts can sometimes cause trouble, and this is often due to timing problems between camera updates and Suimono rendering passes. Often these can be eliminated by adding forcing one or the other to render first using Unity's Edit-->Project Settings-->Script Execution Order settings.

25. myownbot

myownbot

Thank you for your reply. Well, the low sun and no post-processing... Please don't get me wrong. But is it how this very DEMO scene was intended to look like out of the box on any PC?

You did a great job anyway!

26. myownbot

myownbot

Thank you for the hint! I'll give it a try.
    I was so annoyed by this when running around as 3rd person char that I switched to 1st person which fixed this issue. While still in the 3rd person mode, I figured that the flickering was caused by the Y-movements of the camera.

Anyway, I'll have to check the execution order.

27. SureSight

SureSight

28. chainsawpenguin

chainsawpenguin

Hi! I'm trying this in 2018 for the first time (2018.1.02f, to be specific) and I'm running around in a completely new project with only Suimono installed. In the demo, running on the beach as Miho, I'm getting awful artifacts around her where she's rendered in front of the water. I'm sure this has come up, but scanning through 24 pages of posts, I didn't see a quick fix...

Basically, the area immediately around the figure is heavily pixelated for some reason. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

29. chingwa

chingwa

@chainsawpenguin It's possible this is due to a low transparency resolution setting on the suimono module object. I've tested in 2018.1 without any obvious issues. Can you post a pic of what you're seeing?

@SureSight I'm not yet sure what form it will take, but interactive effects such as those water ripples is one of my goals. (though it won't be that cartoon effect as shown in your example).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    Efril likes this.
  30. Niels40

Niels40

was thinking of buying suimono 2.0. i had a few questions tho. How much performance would an ocean where underwater effects dont matter and buoyancy effect on a 3d ship (Quite some objects on it but all without physics)?
    I also noticed suimono has not been updated for almost 3 months now and read a 3.0 version is in the making. Does this mean that the one currently on the asset store will be depricated in the future? And does my ship need a rigidbody to make use of the buoyancy effect?

31. chingwa

chingwa

Performance is largely tied to the complexity of your scene, this is because Suimono re-renders the scene for reflections and transparency. A well optimized scene will run Suimono without any trouble, but if you're already pushing the performance envelope then you will need to consider either turning down some of the settings in Suimono or going through and optimizing other things in your project.

3.0 is being worked on but there is no release date yet, however when it is ready 3.0 will be available to all Suimono customers, so you won't have to worry about deprecation.

Your ship object will need a rigidbody/collider components in order for Suimono buoyancy to work.

Teila likes this.
  32. Niels40

Niels40

Hi again, i was thinking of buying suimono but it is a bit above my price range atm. Are you thinking of doing a sale antyime soon? If not, could you tell me around what times of the year you usually do?

33. chingwa

chingwa

@Niels40 Thanks for your interest in Suimono! However, I have no plans to participate in any sales in the forseeable future.

34. Niels40

Niels40

Hmm okay, well supose il wait than.

35. limpin_jezus

limpin_jezus

Running the advanced demo from the demo download at 2560x1440. What is the pixelation around the character model and the water interaction splashes? 2018-11-30 (1).png 2018-11-30.png 2018-11-30 (1).png
    2018-11-30.png

36. chingwa

chingwa

@limpin_jezus It looks like the "transparency resolution" setting on the SuimonoModule object is set lower than the running resolution. If you raise it to match then this should go away.

37. Koodetat

Koodetat

@chingwa
    Hi, I'm using a character controller (GKC Controller) https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/40995
    I followed your documentation, everything is working properly, however my character is walking on the surface of the water and he is unable to swim/go underwater. Do you have an idea of the problem ?

38. chingwa

chingwa

@Koodetat this is possibly a bug with layer assignments. Your water surfaces should have automatically been assigned to the 'Suimono Water' layer in your project. Take a look and see if this is the case. If you're not able to set water surfaces to this layer, or it keeps forcing you to a different layer then you can try resetting the Suimono layer assignments by doing the following...

1. disable suimono surface and module objects temporarily.
    2. delete all 3 suimono layers in your layer list.
    3. play your scene once then stop (just to force layer reset)
    4. now enable the module itself and you should get console messages showing the new layers.
    5. re-enable surface objects and play your scene.

This should reset all the layer assignments, but you should also check the physics layers settings in the Unity preferences and make sure that the suimono_water layer is disconnected from all other layers.

39. Dragonlord_DRM

Dragonlord_DRM

Greetings and happy new year to all!

Hoping there is an easy fix to this...

After upgrading to Unity version 2018.3.0f2 I am now getting the following error:

Disconnecting is no longer implemented
    UnityEditor.PrefabUtility: DisconnectPrefabInstance(Object)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject:Start() (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:359)

Any advice or solution would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

DL

40. chingwa

chingwa

@Dragonlord_DRM Yeah this is due to the new Prefab system Unity implemented in the latest release. Itdoesn't actually affect anything in your project (Suimono should run as normal) but it certainly is annoying. I'll be putting out a release pretty soon with some minor fixes for things like this. In the meantime you can open up SuimonoModule.cs and SuimonoObject.cs and replace the following....

SuimonoModule.cs (line 290) and SuimonoObject.cs (line 357)

Replace this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //### DISCONNECT FROM PREFAB ###;
    2. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    3. PrefabUtility.DisconnectPrefabInstance(this.gameObject);
    4. #endif
    With This:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //### DISCONNECT FROM PREFAB ###;
    2. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    3. #if !UNITY_2018_3_OR_NEWER
    4. PrefabUtility.DisconnectPrefabInstance(this.gameObject);
    5. #endif
    6. #endif

Don-Gray and syscrusher like this.
  41. Dragonlord_DRM

Dragonlord_DRM

Many thanks for this Chingwa!

Kind regards,

DL

42. DougieJones

DougieJones

Hi I just purchased Suimono. I will be blunt. There are things that I enjoy, and some that I don't.I hope parameters will allow me to change these. My main peeve is underwater surface. It looks like it's reflecting ground. Especially obvious is the caustics showing up on water plane from reflected ground.Is there a way to remove this reflection? Thank you

43. chingwa

chingwa

@DougieJones To be honest, I believe that the underwater force-reflecting the caustics is a bug. It should reflect caustics off the underlying terrain if it is set to do so in the reflection layers, but it seems like it is forcing the water surface to accept caustic rendering regardless of the reflection settings.

If you don't want ground reflected underwater then make sure your ground terrain is on a separate layer and then remove that layer from the scene reflections settings on the suimonoSurface object. In that case the underwater reflection will fallback to the underwater fog color which is most realistic in deep water.

Send me an email at konnichiwa@tanukidigital.com and I should be able to give you a patch fix for the forced caustic bug.

44. DougieJones

DougieJones

Thank you I will. But I am not sure I can put underwater terrain on a different layer as I am using mapmagic, it's a continuous terrain.

45. Pourya-MDP

Pourya-MDP

Hey every one
    And thanks to creators of this great water system
    I have a question and that is can we achieve something simillar to the screen shot below using suimono?
    The light passing into water
    Screenshot_2019-01-17-23-14-27.png

46. chingwa

chingwa

@Pourya-MDP Currently no, Suimono does not include this type of light shaft for underwater effects. That screenshot looks awesome though :D I'll look into adding this in a future update.

Adrad and rrahim like this.
  47. reeushop

reeushop

Is it possible to mask the water plane in the interior of ships from all angles to give the ability to walk around inside the ship without it looking like it is sinking?

48. chingwa

chingwa

No not "out of the box". However you could get around this using various methods in Unity. for example using a second camera that renders the scene without Suimono when entering an interior volume of a ship.

49. reeushop

reeushop

Thanks I will try that.

50. Efril

Efril

Hello @chingwa. Sorry for a noobish question. I faced a small issue. Suimono worked fine earlier and I didn't touched it for a long time and now I noticed that water surface updated very slowly, looks extremely laggy. However water 'preview' in editor updated normally displaying nice waves.
    I also tried new scene and added default suimono module and suimono surface prefabs to it. All works fine. But when I replaced them with module and surface prefabs from my 'working' scene the issue appears again. To be honest in new scene waves seems completely static not updating at all. So the reason of this issue is definitely in Suimono settings but I can't figure out where exactly. Could you point me in the right direction?
    You can see what exactly happened in the video below.

FPS in scene is fine and you can see the rest of scene elements updated much faster than water surface. Project time settings below and they looks fine to me.
    TimeSettings.PNG
    My Unity version is 2018.1.1f1 and Suimono version is 2.1.4.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019