Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. masa045

masa045

Hi there ;)
    I'm update unity 5.3 to 5.5.1f1 recently
    I'm not hearing underwater sound and above water sound now
    I'm use gaia and gena and unistorm and unature and suimono 2.1.3
    I also try delete suimono and re install but could not hear sound
    I'm not sure how to do that.

I'm trouble suimono2_advanced_demo scene that some glitch appear now
    this glitch appear only unity 5.5.1f1
    how to do correct this?
    thanks in advance :)
    underwater problem.png

2. chingwa

chingwa

@masa045 The glitch in your screenshot is probably related to using Forward Rendering.... do you have MSAA turned on in your Quality Settings (Check the Anti Aliasing setting)? If so thenthe AntiAliasing should be turned off. OR you can switch to Deferred rendering instead. Either of these options should fix the glitch above.

For the sound bug, are you 100% sure that Suimono is tracking your scene camera properly? Try setting the Suimono tracking mode to manual and dragging your camera into both the camera slot and the scene track object slot just to make sure. Also make sure your scene camera has an AudioListener component. Let me know if this helps!

masa045 likes this.
  3. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

I kinda have a question. Can I make this water render in deferred? Our team really needs deferred water for several image effects like SSR.

4. chingwa

chingwa

It runs perfectly fine in Deferred rendering mode, but I think what you're asking is whether it will write into the deferred graphics buffers? Currently this is not the case, as it uses it's own lighting functions rather than inheriting from the Unity Standard shader... so SSR will not react properly to the water surface currently.

I am however looking at alternatives for this for the future, and am definitely considering SSR and deferred buffer compatibility as a requirement going forward. I'm just not sure yet when/how this will be implemented.

Kolyasisan likes this.
  5. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Is there any reason why this should not work on mobile?

i mean i can be slow, but does it really not work?

Im talking modern ios devices with metal

6. chingwa

chingwa

@Lars-Steenhoff It definitely does not work in mobile. In addition to the computing power of mobile devices not being adequate (even modern devices are still severely limited in this respect), none of the Suimono shaders are written with mobile restrictions in mind and they would not compile properly. Suimono is intended for desktop/console use.

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Ok clear, And Nintendo switch would you classify that as mobile?

8. chingwa

chingwa

Haha, well I guess that's a grey area... I'm not clear on the performance ability of the Switch or how Suimono would operate on it. Have not yet had any customers contact me about their experience using the Switch.

9. Tazling

Tazling

reference discussion : https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/pipe-line-dreams-water-terrain-interactions.461904/#post-2999967

I'm a novice with Suimono, and not much better than a novice with Unity, but I'm trying to model a realworld region and immediately hit a discouraging issue with ocean effects. The issue is described in the thread linked above.

My question is this: is it possible in Suimono to mask a defined area with a dampening effect so that I can create a sheltered body of water (lee of an island, enclosed lagoon, etc) within the context of a whole-ocean plane? It's essential for realism in island/coastline environments. Alternatively, could I build up my ocean out of multiple Suimono planes with varying parameters, or would there be really ugly interactions at the seams? (going to give this a try later today).

This feature would have other applications, such as creating a realistic shorebreak on a sloping beach, or having the leeward end of a mountain lake show more wind riffle than the sheltered, windward end.

mwituni and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  10. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @Tazling it's not recommended to build an ocean out of multiple tiles in Suimono, that's what the infinite ocean setting is for. Unfortunately you can't currently mask out a section of water.

As an alternative you could build a custom mesh object in the shape that you need, with a cutout in the mesh for your internal/coastal area... then fill this with a second Suimono surface that fits the inlet shape with different wave setting... the main problem with this approach would be the seam between water surface.

Having a ShorelineObject that defines the area of your island/inlet might help to break up some of the one-way-ness of the water, but it itsn't going to change the overall direction of the water in the inlet area.

I've been wanting to add flowmap support to Suimono for a long time, and your problem is the perfect use-case for it. Unfortunately I can't give a realistic timeframe for when/if this feature would be included.

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  11. masa045

masa045

Hi there
    I'm fix above issue
    thanks a lot :D

btw, I'm thinking to make amphibious car on water now
    but I kind think water enter car
    it's look like boat object in suimono2 advanced demo
    is any way fix for now

I'm not try playway water system but skimming documentation
    I found water volume subtract that what I'm looking for

suimono is great and I would like to continue using in the future
    thanks in advance;)

12. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

has anyone tried out SUIMono in 5.6?

13. chingwa

chingwa

@AlteredPlanet I've done a cursory look with the latest 5.6 beta and didn't notice any obvious issues. I tend to ignore Unity betas until they're very close to release though, as it's a nightmare to keep up with all their changes. Let me know if you run into any specific problems.

14. ninjaDev

ninjaDev

Hey @chingwa, any plans on adding support for stereoscopic cameras and VR support, specifically SteamVR? Your underwater features are exactly what I'm looking for, but the reflections not being rendered in stereo makes the water system unusable. Really hope this feature is coming soon!

Anways, thanks for all the great work on a really cool framework!

Stormy102 likes this.
  15. mwituni

mwituni

This just happened to me too a few months back when I updated Suimono. Wish i found this post then, but fixed it by removing recent updates.

I've also seen my layers get into a knot ... where I was seeing any new Suimono objects used being assigned to and locked on the "Ground" layer. To fix that, I had to remove all the Suimono components from app, remove the 3 new suimono layers, restart Unity, and re-add them.

16. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

did you compile it in vaulkan ?

17. chingwa

chingwa

@AlteredPlanet I just did a test today in 5.6 under Vulkan. Everything runs well in Editor, but gives a bunch of errors after compiling and the build doesn't run. The shader error messages were not immediately helpful, but I'll look into this and see if I can get it running under Vulkan.

Stormy102 and AlteredPlanets like this.
  18. AruRen

AruRen

Hi, I am working on a surfing game

Is there a way to work with this to create a wave tube break for the player to pass under the water tubes?

Thanks

19. chingwa

chingwa

@AruRen Unfortunately no, tubular waves are not possible at this time.

20. AruRen

AruRen

Ok, thank you very much for the fast reply
    Is there any plan on adding it?

Or any tips on making it?

:)

21. chingwa

chingwa

I don't have specific plans on adding this, no. I would of course love to have this feature but it is really too specific to do in a general water product I think. You would really need a specialized solution that had tubular waves in mind. If I were going to do this I would probably consider using a custom wave shaped mesh in the tubular shape... possibly with a secondary blend shape for the vertices to transform between calmer wave and tubular wave... But I'm just "thinking out loud" here. :D

22. sidedk

sidedk

This is a general newbie question. I just added Suimono to my scene and it is immediately conflicting with Tenkoku lighting. I started with a basic unity Scene, added Gaia. I then set deferred lighting and camera effects in Gaia GX.
    My scene looked good. I was happy with it. I then added Tenkoku and set to clear weather, manual weather, and advance time for day/night cycles. Everything looked great. I was happy with the scene. I then added in Suimono. The scene now looks like complete garbage. If I disable Suimono my scene returns to its previous nice state.

I'm hoping for some newb guidance on what I should be disabling as far as cameras, lighting, and or fog every where else in the scene that me be conflicting with this, or any other basic tips on how to introduce this plug in to an existing scene. I will post screen shots of before or after shortly.

23. chingwa

chingwa

@sidedk Waiting for your screenshots... I expect they'll give me a good clue as to what's going on here. :)

24. sidedk

sidedk

25. sidedk

sidedk

Top = Tenkoku before
    Bottom = Suimono after

Same time of day. once introduced it gives that blurry, comic book look. scene gets darker.

26. chingwa

chingwa

Yeah that's crazy, don't think I've ever seen anything like this. I assume you're using Tenkoku 1.1.5d and Suimono 2.1.4? I'll do some tests here to see if I can figure out what's up.

27. sidedk

sidedk

My suimono is version 2.1.3.
    I can send you a link to my project as well if you wanted to open it up. Thank you for the help.

28. chingwa

chingwa

Actually a download link would be great, that way I can look directly at the issue. You can PM me the link, or send it to me directly at konnichiwa@tanukidigital.com

29. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Hi there, some months back you mentioned to develop a river tool or feature, is that still on your list of things to do?
    Here an inspiration scroll the video forward to 2:00 :
    I just wish someone would make this for Unity.

Stormy102 and chingwa like this.
  30. chingwa

chingwa

@DesertRaven That video is cool, especially the tree roots :D I would love to add a spline based river tool to Suimono similar to what they've shown in the video. I've done some initial testing with splines but ran into tech problems and have not been able to get a working prototype yet. It is still on my list, I just have no idea when it will be viable for the public.

P_Jong, DesertRaven and Stormy102 like this.
  31. Stormy102

Stormy102

It would definitely put Suimono ahead of the crowd. I'd love to see this feature.

DesertRaven likes this.
  32. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Thank you Justin I'm happy to have been an inspiration. Actually, there is a great spline tool out there in the asset store, all it needed was a procedural water shader, maybe tri planar? The asset I'm referring to is Easy Road Pro.
    I don't know if it would be even remotely possible for you and Raul to collaborate on this but It sure would be great to have a river tool as easy to use and with the quality of Suimono water. Unity is really in need of something like this, you guys could make a huge difference and as Stormy102 correctly stated put you all ahead of the crowd.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Stormy102 likes this.
  33. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Hello all,

I have been trying to make the underwater effect to appear earlier since I can see under the water without the effect active until my camera is nearly 25 percent inside the water. I saw in the demo that the way to prevent this is to have the camera near clip to 1, but I can't set my scene camera near clip to 1. Has anyone figure out a way to fix this?

34. chingwa

chingwa

@Rotary-Heart OK, there are two things here I would suggest... the first is to make sure you're Suimono_Surface object is set to a Y-scale of 1.0... This can affect the height detection in some cases.

Second, you can adjust the transition threshold setting, but right now you have to do it in code. If you open the SuimonoModule.cs file you should see the following around line 1016...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (currentTransitionDepth > 0.1f){
    You can adjust the 0.1 to be higher or lower depending on your needs and this will adjust at what point the water transition switches. In the next update I'll be exposing this in the UI as a setting so it's easier to customize.

Rotary-Heart likes this.
  35. chingwa

chingwa

@DesertRaven I've used EasyRoadsPro in the past to make rivers, but have not looked at it in a very long time. I'm sure there's a pretty easy way to get them to work together though, I'll look into this soon!

Stormy102 likes this.
  36. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Well, that was an easy fix, the adjust of the currentTransitionDepth did the trick. Many thanks that definitely fix my issue!!

It would be great if the effect appeared on the screen as the camera entered instead of on all the camera. Like if the camera is half under the water then the effect appear on half of the screen. Just an idea in case that is possible and you haven't thought about it.

Many thanks for such an amazing and easy to use system.

37. Triggiano

Triggiano

Hey Chingwa, just got your product and loving it so far.

I've come across a bug I think. When I start the game I can't see the surface at all, but as soon as I go through the surface transition and go back under, I can then see the surface from underwater. Any way to fix this?

Edit: Here's a gif I made to show it http://i.imgur.com/lniU5P7.mp4

38. chingwa

chingwa

@Triggiano Thanks for the Gif! I assume you are starting the game underneath the surface? This may indeed be a bug, I don't think I had considered this in the startup sequence. I will review the code and make sure!

Triggiano likes this.
  39. Triggiano

Triggiano

Yup, I started the game underwater since I'm going for a fish game. :)

40. chingwa

chingwa

Well, no, I can't reproduce this. When I start under water everything is working just as expected. Can you tell me what version of Unity you're using? I assume you're using the latest Suimono (version 2.1.3)?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  41. Triggiano

Triggiano

I'm using Unity 5.4.0f3. Suimono 2.1.3 (Purchased last week)

42. Triggiano

Triggiano

43. chingwa

chingwa

@Triggiano I can't recreate this issue on my end, and I'm not sure why. You can try to force the underwater switch at the beginning of your scene by using code similar to this:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class SuimonoForceUnderwater : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule moduleObject;
    9.     void Start () {
    10.         moduleObject = GameObject.Find("SUIMONO_Module").GetComponent<Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule>();
    12.         if (moduleObject != null){
    13.             moduleObject.isUnderwater = true;
    14.         }
    15.     }
    17. }
    Unfortunately, without knowing exactly why it's happening for you I can't say whether the code above will work for you or not. It's possible (though unlikely) it's a camera tracking issue or a layer setup issue. All seems to work as normal once you go through the water surface though. You might try just setting a normal Unity camera underwater without your controller/Manta character, just to see if the controller might be influencing this behavior somehow?

44. Triggiano

Triggiano

The code didn't work unfortunately. I'm not doing anything fancy with the camera or anything. All I have in the scene is the character controller and the water system. Can I send you the project folder?

45. chingwa

chingwa

Triggiano likes this.
  46. Ranter1337

Ranter1337

Whenever i add a suimono_surface to a scene, it automatically locks to a layer and isn't changeable, on unity version 5.6.0f3, have tried removing suimono and all of it's dependancies but doesnt seem to fix it. Also line 879 of suimono_object_editor.cs constantly throws errors if i am clicked onto the suimono_surface GameObject, commenting out gets rid of the errors.

47. chingwa

chingwa

As long as it's locking to the right layer this shouldn't be a problem, but I suspect you're saying that it isn't? It should be setting itself to the Suimono_Water layer. If not, then you can follow these steps to reset the layer assignments:

1) disable your surface and your module object.
    2) go to your project layer settings and delete all 3 Suimono specific layers.
    3) turn on just the module object and play your scene once, then stop.
    [SuimonoModule should have re-initialized all your layers at this point]
    4) re-enable your Suimono_surface object and try the fx object again.

This layer bug has been addressed in the next update, which I hope to have ready soon.

Glitch12 likes this.
  48. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Hello chingwa,

I ran into other issue. I added a new surface that's using the preset of oil slick. But when I walk by the surface it looks transparent the closer it get's to the player. The only way I have found to fix it is to reduce my camera far clipping plane, but I can't do this since it hides my mountains. Here's the issue:

Here's how it looks with my current clipping plane

BadTransparency.PNG

Here's how it looks with a lower clipping plane

GoodTransparency.PNG

49. chingwa

chingwa

@Rotary-Heart What are the camera clip settings are you using?

50. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Near 0.1
    Far 18200 (it can go as low as 14000 but the issue is still there)