Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Matt,

Yes this should be possible. Suimono wave forms are positioned based on an offset timer value. By default this timer runs automatically, but the timer data can be shared from the server to your clients in order to keep them synced to the same wave position.

The above option should remain enabled on your server, but be disabled on your client machines. Then on each client you can sync the server time variable, which is accessed like so:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public float syncTimer = 0f;
    2.     private Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule moduleObject;
    4.     void Start () {
    5.         moduleObject = GameObject.Find("SUIMONO_Module").GetComponent<Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule>();
    6.     }
    8.     void LateUpdate () {
    9.         if (moduleObject != null){
    10.             syncTimer = moduleObject.systemTime;
    11.         }
    12.     }

Stormy102 likes this.
  2. Stormy102

Stormy102

Great! Thanks @chingwa I guess I'll purchase this instead of Ceto... Shame it's being deprecated but I guess it means more customers for you! :p

EDIT:
    Also, does this asset work with UniStorm? I guess there's no reason it shouldn't, but hey, better safe than sorry!

3. chingwa

chingwa

Yes it works with UniStorm. On occasion I've seen a customer with a setup issue between the two but most people have no trouble at all, and any setup kinks can of course be worked out with a little email back and forth.

It's actually a shame about Ceto, despite it being a competing product it's always nice to see such quality stuff available on the store! Suimono has been on the asset store just over 4 years now, and I have no plans to leave anytime soon :)

4. Stormy102

Stormy102

Great, glad to hear it! I'll pick this up when I need a replacement ocean. Cheers chingwa

5. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    is Suimono suitable for rivers as well?

6. garyhaus

garyhaus

Please help with errors.

Unity 5.4.f.1(OS X) - Trying to get Sumino set up and getting these errors:
    Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoGaia.cs(163,17): error CS1525: Unexpected symbol `}', expecting `;'

Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoGaia.cs(177,8): error CS8025: Parsing error

7. chingwa

chingwa

@antoripa Yes Suimono can work for rivers, but you have to supply your own river mesh with properly aligned UVs.

@garyhaus Sorry about that, a fix is attached here!

Attached Files:

antoripa likes this.
  8. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks.
    Can I have one river and one lake in same scenario ? I suppose 2 different Sumono instance.
    Other point is mobile ... Does it work ? Perfomance ? Any plan to improve mobile ?

9. chingwa

chingwa

Yes you can have as many surfaces as you need... you can have an ocean, multiple rivers, and contained water like lakes all in the same scene. Mobile is not supported though, and I don't have plans for a mobile version anytime soon.

antoripa likes this.
  10. garyhaus

garyhaus

Thank you for the fix!

11. brisingre

brisingre

I'm shopping for a good water solution for Unity, and I have a few questions. How up-to-date is the demo on the asset store page? Can Suimino do tanks, or just oceans/rivers/lakes? Can you look through one body of water into another, like this screenshot?

Attached Files:

12. chingwa

chingwa

Hi brisingre, it can't do a 3d volume like you show in your screenshot, unfortunately. The water effects only appear when you are looking through the surface plane of the water from the top. So this is useful for contained areas like swimming pools/lakes/rivers/oceans... but won't work for a "fish tank" where you would see it from the side.

I have tried some tests with this type of view in the past but none came out satisfactorily... I'll probably be looking to do this again sometime in the future, but I can't say when this would happen at this point.

To answer your question about the demo, it is currently one version older than the current version available on the store, so there have been some improvements since I posted the demo, but the basic functionality is the same.

13. Hakazaba

Hakazaba

Hi, I'm having a problem with wave foam not following the waves, but rather seeming to be on an additive plane underneath the waves. Here is a gif showing the effect. Is there a way to fix this?

https://gyazo.com/d9edd0faa865e13ffc8bb73cdcd9572f

Also is there a reason that the demo scene doesn't have the river and lava working?

14. chingwa

chingwa

@Hakazaba Currently no, there isn't a way to fix this. The shader isn't distorting this aspect of the shoreline foam properly. I realize this is an issue and I'm looking at ways of getting this working with some shader updates. Sorry for the inconvenience!

As for river/lava, I'll take another look at the demo. I must have overlooked them.

15. brisingre

brisingre

Thanks for the quick reply!

16. lionroot

lionroot

@chingwa Hello, I'm thinking about purchasing Suimono, and wanted to see if the top of the water is abled to rendered and simulated, while keeping the sides and bottom smooth (like looking through an aquarium) - similar to how Little Devil inside does it here.

17. chingwa

chingwa

@lionroot no that isn't possible with Suimono. You can see my response to brisingre above, as he asked a very similar question, but essentially underwater view is not rendered from the side, only from the top while looking through the water. I wasn't aware that Little Devil Inside has changed their water tech... for a while they were using Suimono, but it looks like their needs might have changed in order to do this kind of rendering.

18. garyhaus

garyhaus

I have another error:
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.PresetLoad (Int32 ppos) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM

19. chingwa

chingwa

@garyhaus can you copy in the rest of the error showing the code line number? It seems preset related, but without seeing the line number I can't track this down. Thanks!

20. garyhaus

garyhaus

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.PresetLoad (Int32 ppos) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:1191)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.Start () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:359)

21. chingwa

chingwa

Hmmm... this is very odd. Seems like it can't find the right preset. Have you tried setting the preset to 'None' and then clicking on your preset again? Has the Suimono project folder been moved to a different subfolder in your project hierarchy? If so you might try putting it back directly under /Assets...

22. garyhaus

garyhaus

Same after I select a preset, then set to custom and tweak values. Didn't move SUIMONO folder

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  23. chingwa

chingwa

Do you actually have preset folders/files under the Suimono/Resources folder?

24. garyhaus

garyhaus

Yes sir! Windows Unity 5.4.2f1

25. chingwa

chingwa

OK I think I see the problem. It's looking for a certain preset in the list but switching the preset file to custom is making it confused. Try this instead...

1) click on your preset.
    2) switch to custom.
    3) click the NEW preset button.
    4) click on your new preset.

You should now be able to play and edit the settings etc without getting this error. Once you're happy with the settings you can click the + next to your new preset to update that preset's settings.

26. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

Hello guys,
    I need to apply underwater effects to only a half of camera view that is below water surface. See the attached pic.
    Does anybody know a way to do it with SUIMONO water?

27. chingwa

chingwa

This isn't really possible at the moment, either the underwater effects are on or off.

28. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

Hello @chingwa,
    If I am underwater in SUIMONO and I look up, can I see my own reflection on the bottom side of the water plane?

29. chingwa

chingwa

@electric_jesus yes it reflects the underwater scene below the surface when looking upward. If you look straight up you will see through the surface, due to the "Snell's Window" phenomenon, but glancing angles will reflect the underwater scene. Here's a real-life pic of this phenomenon:

30. electric_jesus

electric_jesus

@chingwa awesome! The visual performance of this asset is great. Do you have plans on including above/below water split camera feature?

31. chingwa

chingwa

I would like to include this feature ultimately, but I can't say 100% if it will happen at this point.

32. eddyfosman

eddyfosman

Does this package work with DX 9?

33. chingwa

chingwa

@eddyfosman Yes it works in dx9, but to get the high resolution tessellated waves you need dx11. All other features are the same in dx9.

eddyfosman likes this.
  34. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

Using Unity Version 5.4.1f1

Hey Pal. Looking great, and like you promised, the updates fixed ALL the issues I had in the past. :)

I am using this now like crazy in the various instances in our virtual world. It is hands down the best virtual world water I have ever seen, in Unity or anywhere.

Lots of questions as I implement this, but two are at the forefront at this time:

1. In many areas I am using this without the underwater effects (just shallow depth), or even as shallow lake water (even less effects, like no foam). So, what is the best way to trim it down for minimal resource usage when I don't need all the features? Any chance at some future date of a "slim down button" that would create a lite version when that is all that is needed?

2. How can I "localize" sound. I love the beach sounds. The sound is just as important as the graphics in creating the full experience. BUT... When my members walk away from the ocean, the sound travels with them, even though the Suimono Surface is limited to the shoreline.

Thank you!

35. chingwa

chingwa

@Vontarga I'm really interested in doing some sort of overall quality slider in the future where you'll be able to balance performance with the needs of each water surface. For now though you can individually adjust things like transparency, and reflection settings in order to cut back on performance overhead.

There isn't currently a way to do sound localization within Suimono, though this is also something I'd like to add in a future version. In the meantime I recommend turning off the above water sounds, and instead place normal Unity Audio Objects around your scene close to the water edges.

Boomer_McBooms likes this.
  36. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

Thanks, man. This is such a great poduct, and just keeps getting better. I bought your sky way back when, but have not yet played with it. I am also interested in the eye effect. We need our avatars to feel "alive" in a virtual world, and "eyes and smiles" (and lip synch) are HIGH on my priority list.

37. lezan_

lezan_

Hello,
    I am tring to use Suimono to make a river with a custom mesh, but I have some problems.
    I already read documentation and this thread, but I cannot figure out.
    I checked demo, but this is what I can see (rivers_suimono image attached).
    In console I have that:
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoObject.LateUpdate () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.cs:390)

SUIMONO_Surface_River and Suimono_Object subobject have both Demo_RiverSystem on the correct box.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

38. Boomer_McBooms

Boomer_McBooms

I must admit I am so confused by the "add camera" step. Sometimes Suimono works without a problem, sometimes my builder avatar camera is just blue (until I hit play, when it works) and on one build everything works, BUT when I hit play I get this message and have to "un-pause" before it works. Sorry to be so dense.

MissingComponentException: There is no 'Camera' attached to the "Terrain" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Camera to the game object "Terrain". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.
    Suimono.Core.Suimono_UnderwaterFog.Start () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/Suimono_UnderwaterFog.cs:85)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  39. chingwa

chingwa

@Vontarga I'm not sure why the camera would only work sometimes. Is your scene camera available during edit mode? Or is it somehow generated or changed after you press play? From the description it sounds like you have a 'mainCamera' tag set on the wrong object... like the terrain. By default the Suimono Module uses this tag to determine the camera object, but you can instead set the 'Camera Mode' setting to manual, and then drag your scene camera into the slot. This might work better for you?

40. mwituni

mwituni

I asked about 2 years ago for a few more meshes, can you create some and add to the package please - many will find these useful, eg.

- Small round ones (with less quads) which can be used as a pond or river pools
    - Maybe also a tiny one to be used for small puddles etc
    - Some longer ones for use in rivers, including "curved" meshes for curved sections of rivers

Thx

41. chingwa

chingwa

@mwituni I agree that having various mesh shapes is a good idea. I'll investigate the best way for me to integrate this into Suimono.

mwituni likes this.
  42. chrome-alex

chrome-alex

Demo scene "Advanced" doesn't work on mac os x. Character fall down through terrain. I try to make "foam" in my scene but it doesn't work too. How to make it work?

43. chingwa

chingwa

@chrome-alex This is the first I've heard of this type of problem on OS X. It's sounds like it's possibly a physics layers issue, I recommend checking that the character and terrain are set to interact in the Unity physics layer setup preferences. Foam should be generated automatically against objects as long as they use a shader that writes to the scene depth buffer (Transparent objects do not do this).

Anyone else have this trouble on OS X?

44. chingwa

chingwa

Hello All,

Happy New Year!
    I'm happy to announce that Suimono version 2.1.3 is now ready for download...

Download Here: http://www.tanukidigital.com/download

There are a number of bug fixes and optimizations included in this release, including the simplification of shader keyword data which should significantly improve compiling, import, and export times. I've also fixed a few issues in Unity 5.5 that were preventing proper rendering, and improved distance rendering accuracy for foam, shoreline, and depth functions.

Suimono in 2017
    Over the past few months I've been working on water rendering experiments utilizing a full deferred pipeline that takes advantage of Unity 5.5 and it's ability to render both reflection probes and screen-space reflections (SSR). These experiments are still ongoing, but they may potentially yield an exciting new direction for Suimono. Hopefully I'll have more info on this that I can share with everyone soon. I'd like to thank everyone for your support and am looking forward to continued improvements and new developments in 2017!

As always, let me know if you have problems/questions/feedback etc, either by email or on the forums!

All the best,
    Justin Kellis
    Tanuki Digital

-----------------------------
    RELEASE NOTES - Version 2.1.3
    -----------------------------
    WHAT'S NEW:
    - Suimono now logs and disables some Module functions when no surfaces are visible.
    - Added Action Types to FX Objects. Can now designate how many times an effect repeats: once, specific #, or forever).

CHANGES:
    - Removed custom shader keywords, which drastically improves shader compilation speed and reduces memory footprint.
    - Suimono no longer forces MSAA to be off, but it's still recommended to keep it off in order to use HDR lighting and eliminate possible render issues.
    - Default buoyancy range raised to 500.
    - CameraTool component can now selectively change camera HDR mode (defaults to off).
    - Improved render texture accuracy, helps improve foam and depth visuals over long distances.

BUG FIXES:
    - Fixed erroneous 'materials' error message spam in Unity 5.4+ (yes, let rejoicing commence).
    - Fixed unexpected symbol bug in SuimonoGaia.cs file.
    - fixed underwater fog combining with transparent objects (for example, clouds, billboards, etc.)
    - Layer initialization set to run only on start to help improve performance.
    - Added Reference checking in some cases to avoid component memory loss errors.
    - Cast Lists as non-serializable, to fix mangled string bug.
    - Fixed possible preset loading/saving error, resulting from rigid float-decoding format assumptions (now use InvariantCulture instead).
    - Fixed Module UI layout to reveal hidden 'interaction' option.
    - Re-enabled global Interaction on/off function (enables buoyancy, fx objects, and underwater detection).
    - Added local Interaction function for each water surface (enables buoyancy, fx objects, and underwater detection).
    - Fixed an issue with reflection rendering not performing properly in HDR with some 3rd party assets. reflection color should be brightened to compensate.
    - Caustic rendering now properly adjusts when tracked light is disabled.
    - Water surface specular no longer disappears when Transparency function is turned off.
    - Fixed bug with Shoreline generation function failing in Unity 5.5+
    - Buyoancy object 'Keep At Surface' setting now works properly again.
    - Fixed issue with UI scaling out of window on OSX.
    - Fixed double rendering of custom prefab icons.

45. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I'm sorry but I'm getting very very tired of this water changing the collsion setting. as soon as I drop the module in and the surface prefab and try to run the scene I drop trhough EVERYTHING I go in to project setting and reset the default line and as soon as I run the scen again the settings are deleted and I fall through EVERYTHING

3 instance's of this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule.CalculateHeights (Vector3 testObject) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.cs:1402)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule.SuimonoGetHeightAll (Vector3 testObject) (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.cs:1241)
    Suimono.Core.SuimonoModule.StoreSurfaceHeight () (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoModule.cs:739)

Just downloaded the latest version and I'm on Unity 5.4.3f1 (64-bit)

46. chingwa

chingwa

@Kiwi-Hawk This sounds like a layer setup issue, I recommend resetting your layers before installing/upgrading Suimono, i.e....
    1) disable/delete surface objects, and disable/delete module object.
    2) delete Suimono-specific layers from your project.
    3) add/enable your module and surfaces again.

If that doesn't work you can click on the module prefab and turn off the 'set automatic layers' option before dragging it into your scene. then set up layer settings manually.

Shodan0101 likes this.
  47. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Awesome news! Cant wait to see what this will look like! New Suimono 2017!! ;D

48. strongbox3d

strongbox3d

Hello guys,

Does anyone knows why having my player character in a layer named: "Player", makes the character controller on the player fall in free fall down through the terrain and water forever? When I remove the player from that layer it doesn't fall but then he doesn't collide with certain objects in the scene... Any idea? And I need that layer named "Player" for many other functions in the game, so I can't just remove the player from it.

Regards,
    Carlos

49. chingwa

chingwa

Shodan0101 likes this.
  50. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

Hi Chingwa,

Any news/update ons the water rendering experiments?? ;D