Search Unity

SUIMONO 2.0 - Interactive Water System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Jan 6, 2015.

1. chingwa

chingwa

Here's a preview of the newly added buoyancy demo scene running in version 2.1.1. Note that the buoy object is not included, however there is a placeholder buoy object included in the demo instead. If you want some buoy's for your scene, check out Rescue 3D's work here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18377

llJIMBOBll and Shodan0101 like this.
  2. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

Kia ora

I need a little help sorting this error

Material doesn't have a texture property '_FoamOverlay'
    UnityEngine.Material:SetTextureScale(String, Vector2)
    SuimonoObject:Recalculate() (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:1595)
    SuimonoObject:LateUpdate() (at Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/SuimonoObject.js:848)

Then I'll start on why I can't run into the water and my other issues out of the box, love that I can have sea's and lakes
    I like Ceto's water and under water but I can only have one instance and it's more for open ocean. and I'm back trying to get Tenkoku working right too

3. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Kiwi-HAwk, are you using version 2.1.1? or the old 2.1.1 Preview?

4. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

2.1.0a off the asset store

5. chingwa

chingwa

Unfortunately this is an expected error in Suimono 2.1.0a when using Unity 5.3+. Version 2.1.1 is available from my website (have you registered?) and it's also been submitted to the Asset Store and should be available there sometime this week.

6. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

I did register today under Kiwi-Hawk

7. chingwa

chingwa

I registered you for both Suimono and Tenkoku (thanks!) you should have received an automated email with login/download instructions. If you didn't get it (check your junk mail folder?) then send me an email and I'll copy paste the login instructions for you manually.

8. chingwa

chingwa

And actually, I was just notified by Unity that version 2.1.1 has just been posted to the store! Thanks Unity-peeps for the super quick turnaround! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4387

Should also be available from the unity download manager as well.

Bagnol and llJIMBOBll like this.
  9. Kiwi-Hawk

Kiwi-Hawk

After the upgrade

Could this be why I can't see the surface?

Assets/SUIMONO - WATER SYSTEM 2/SCRIPTS/cameraToolsDepth.js(120,71): BCE0019: 'overallScale' is not a member of 'SuimonoObject'. Did you mean 'overlayColor'?

10. chingwa

chingwa

Sounds like you have some old components in there (cameraToolsDepth, for example has been removed). I recommend a complete uninstall of your current version before upgrading to the latest version. Complete uninstall instructions:

1) remove module and surfaces from your scene.
    2) remove underwaterFX from your scene camera (if applicable)
    3) goto project Settings-->Tags and Layers and delete any suimono-specific layers.
    4) delete the suimono folder from your project.

Then reinstall 2.1.1 from scratch.

11. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi, Amazing work man, I just have one problem with ufps, It shows the player in the water surface when I look down. Looks like it only happens in first person mode.

I have Deferred, Linear, and HD FPSCamera

12. chingwa

chingwa

Hi @llJIMBOBll it's possible this is a layer setup issue...? First thing I would check is to make sure that none of your UFPS objects are on any of the Suimono layers, and I would also make sure your water surface is on the Suimono_Water layer.

I've had a few reports of initial layer setup issues in 2.1.1 and with UFPS, which I'm looking into. Should only happen on first install though.

If layers don't seem to be the problem on your end post or email me a screenshot to konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com

13. bome99

bome99

Hi,
    My Physics layers are pretty much used, is there a way to use Suimono water with out the 3 layers?
    Where do I change so it doesn't automatic creates them and messes up my layer matrix.

14. chingwa

chingwa

@bome99 I have a small patch that will allow you to disable the automatic layer setup... send me an email to konnichiwa[at]tanukidigital.com and I'll send it to you.

For proper function Suimono will need those three layers to your project... are you saying you've already maxed out your 31 available layer slots??

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    llJIMBOBll likes this.
  15. GamerPET

GamerPET

Hello @chingwa

I just got your plugin and I have a small question. My scene view looks like this:

that's a reflection of my main model. It moves when I move the camera. This is during "Play" on the "Scene" tab. Also when I don't "play" on the Scene tab I see a weird reflection.

Also sometimes the water dissapears alltogether from the Scene view but if I move the window a bit it get's back.

Any ideas?

16. chingwa

chingwa

@GamerPET The Scene-view issue is because the scene camera is not available to generate proper reflections/transparency, unfortunately, so what you are seeing is data from your in-game camera leaking over to the scene camera. I have yet to find a way to get the sceneview camera to generate properly... the artifact your seeing is not unexpected. I'll keep looking for a solution for this as I understand that it's distracting.

17. bome99

bome99

Great, mail on the way.
    Yeah more or less I might be able to free 2 or 3, guess I'll have to clean up haha.

18. chingwa

chingwa

I'm curious if anyone here is using Suimono on Mac, and if they are experiencing any problems with the latest version?

19. eskovas

eskovas

Due to the post i made on the other thread, i'm also posting it here, since it's related to Suimono.

I'm using SSAO Pro and i just tested it with a normal camera and the render result keeps flickering when using with Suimono.
    One interesting thing on the camera is that the "Info" located at the end of the Camera component also keeps flickering between "Info: renders Depth & DepthNormals textures" and "Info: renders Depth texture".

Might be something you could take a look at maybe?

20. GamerPET

GamerPET

I had the same problem with SSAO Pro :(
    Also you could really see in the water...

I mean, I have like a big "ship" and normally you don't see what's under water. Only a bit. But when you apply SSAO Pro that bit from underwater get's way out of proportions and not because of SSAO Pro settings. It's like the water itself becomes more transparent.

21. brave_mike

brave_mike

Hi chingwa,

your water system is realy great!

SSAO Pro and SUIMONO not seem to be the best of friends. I think it's a problem with the depth buffer?! (pic. 1)

But there is another issue - I tried to use a standard unity reflection probe to reflect the water in it (I used your demo scene and also tried the TENKOKU demo scene together with SUIMONO) - but the water is not reflected correctly in the probe. (pic. 2)

Can you please check how to fix this issue too?

Kind regards

Mike

SUIMONO-ssao-pro-issue.jpg SUIMONO-reflection-probe-issue.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  22. chingwa

chingwa

@brave_mike Yeah, the SSAO is an issue that I'm currently looking into. If you're using Forward Rendering in your project then I can offer a solution (let me know) but for Deferred I still need to figure out where the problem lies. Hopefully I can get a solution to this soon.

As for the probe, I haven't experienced this issue before... I'll take a look and get back to you. Thanks for the screenshot!

23. GamerPET

GamerPET

I'm trying to make a 360 video ... the problem is that the water creates a reflection like this:

Any ideas why? Everything works fine (excet the "god rays" but I understand that those can't work because of the 360 camera) except this weird reflection.

I'm using Unity 5.3.4 & Water 2.1.1.

24. chingwa

chingwa

Hi GamerPET,
    I've not ever made a 360 video, so am not sure what's going on here. How are you doing this... directly through Unity with a plugin of some sorts?

25. GamerPET

GamerPET

26. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Hi chingwa !

Your water asset is nice !
    But the fog on water don't work :(

Split view is good idea !!!!

Attached Files:

GamerPET likes this.
  27. chingwa

chingwa

@laurent.clave Well to be clear, I believe the issue here is not that fog does not affect the Suimono surface (because it definitely should!) but that fog is not affecting the generated reflections. This seems to be an issue in Unity, especially in post-process fog. The best way to get around this(for now) is to generate fog effects on the object shader rather than in post-process... this way fog is also calculated when the object is rendered for reflections as well.

Below is an example of single-color linear fog being rendered on-shader...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/customfog" {
    2.     Properties {
    3.         _Color ("Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    4.         _FogColor ("Fog Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    5.         _MainTex ("Albedo (RGB)", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.         _Glossiness ("Smoothness", Range(0,1)) = 0.5
    7.         _Metallic ("Metallic", Range(0,1)) = 0.0
    8.         _FogDist ("Fog Distance", Float) = 500.0
    9.     }
    10.     SubShader {
    11.         Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque" }
    12.         LOD 200
    14.         CGPROGRAM
    15.         #pragma surface surf Standard fullforwardshadows finalcolor:fogcolor vertex:fogvert
    16.         #pragma target 3.0
    18.         sampler2D _MainTex;
    20.         struct Input {
    21.             float2 uv_MainTex;
    22.             half fog;
    23.         };
    25.         half _Glossiness;
    26.         half _Metallic;
    27.         half _FogDist;
    28.         fixed4 _Color;
    29.         fixed4 _FogColor;
    32.         void fogvert (inout appdata_full v, out Input data){
    33.           UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input,data);
    34.           float4 hpos = mul (UNITY_MATRIX_MVP, v.vertex);
    35.           data.fog = saturate(hpos.w/_FogDist);
    36.         }
    38.         void fogcolor (Input IN, SurfaceOutputStandard o, inout fixed4 color){
    39.           color.rgb = lerp (color.rgb, _FogColor.rgb, IN.fog);
    40.         }
    42.         void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutputStandard o) {
    43.             fixed4 c = tex2D (_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex) * _Color;
    44.             o.Albedo = c.rgb;
    45.             o.Metallic = _Metallic;
    46.             o.Smoothness = _Glossiness;
    47.             o.Alpha = c.a;
    48.         }
    49.         ENDCG
    50.     }
    51.     FallBack "Diffuse"
    52. }
    Note: I'm not sure how this works with tree billboards, as billboards get rendered in strange ways in Unity. I hope the above offers some assistance though.

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

Does anyone have any screenshots or demos showcasing the caustic effects in Suimono? I'm looking for a system that I can manipulate the water surface and have near-physically-accurate caustic effects on the underwater surface material. I played around with the demo, but wasn't able to figure out if the caustics were actually rendered according to water surface distortions.

Very cool library though! Hoping it can do what I'm looking for.

29. chingwa

chingwa

@jspace150 The caustics are not linked to water distortions, no. Though this is something I'll be looking at for the future.

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Good to know, thanks for your fast reply!

31. aceaspadesblack

aceaspadesblack

Here's a funny problem I'm having, maybe you can assist me in resolving it:

Bouyancy works great while there is NOT a camera in the scene. The moment a camera is added, every bouyancyObject sinks to the bottom of the sea! Set camera to Inactive, they still sink. Delete the camera, they rise right back up!

What do you think?

32. GamerPET

GamerPET

I have been doing some tests.
    I have a test scene that is using the Unistorm Weather System. I also use the Suimono Water System.

If I set up the Rendering Path to Deferred the scene looks like this:

If I set the Rendering Path to Forward the scene looks normal, like this:

HOWEVER! No matter what I do, when I build an EXE build the game will always look like the first screenshot even if I let it to forward or deffered.

Any ideas why?

Thank You

33. chingwa

chingwa

@aceaspadesblack I admit I've never seen anything like this. Do you only have the one camera in the scene? Do you get any errors in your console while this is happening?

@GamerPET Not sure what the issue would be here. Can you possibly test with just a normal Unity directional light instead of Unistorm? I'd just like to narrow down where the issue is.

34. aceaspadesblack

aceaspadesblack

@chingwa there is only one camera, and I'm not receiving any errors at all! Very strange. Let me try a few more things, and if it persists I'll update more information

35. GamerPET

GamerPET

Well, no idea exactly but I had to go to Project Settings > Graphic Settings and set up Fog as manual, so maybe it's not because of Suimono. No idea... but for now it's ok like this. This is a short deadline project so I can't look into to many details. As long as it works I'm fine with it :D

Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  36. ksam2

ksam2

How much keywords used by this asset?
    Does it support Unity 5.4B20 yet?

Thanks.

37. chingwa

chingwa

@ksam2 The water full shader uses 9 keywords (a couple less if you're using dx9 instead of dx11). I haven't kept up with the latest beta so am not 100% sure if it will work properly. In general, I don't support beta versions as Unity often makes too many changes or bugs to keep up with. It will certainly be compatible with the final version of 5.4 when it's ready for release.

ksam2 likes this.
  38. chingwa

chingwa

Just FYI, I tested out Unity 5.4beta20 this afternoon and the there is an error message getting spammed in the console. Despite this all water systems seem to be working properly. I'll get to the bottom of the error spam soon, but it certainly seems like a bug in the beta.

ksam2 likes this.
  39. Ruonan

Ruonan

Hey Chingwa, I try to use SUIMONO Water System with TENKOKU Dynamic Sky and Gaia, It works fine when I set daytime. But I got this result show in picture when I set night time.
    QQ图片20160617005814.png QQ图片20160617005814.png

the water looks not alright, do you know how could I make looks bettre?

BTW, thanks for this great plugin!

40. chingwa

chingwa

It looks like Suimono did not set a reference to your Tenkoku light correctly. You can try setting this up manually instead... in Suimono under the 'configuration' tab you'll see a slot for the 'Scene Light object'... Try dragging the Tenkoku-->SkySphere-->LIGHT_World object into this slot and then replaying your scene.

41. chingwa

chingwa

Just a quick note to let everyone know that the C# conversion of Suimono is STILL in the works! :) Progress has been coming along nicely and I expect to put the finishing touches on the code and do some final testing this week. With any luck I'll have an official C# release for everyone soon!

BackwoodsGaming and llJIMBOBll like this.
  42. Ruonan

Ruonan

Hey, Chingwa,
    Yes you are, after I setup this right is works fine at first, but I still get this problem when I stay in game for long enough for the sky turn from evening to night. It will produce the same result if I start as night and wait until the morning come. Is there something I need to watch out when the sky is ture between light and dark?

suimonoproblem.png

43. chingwa

chingwa

Hi Ruonan, actually this looks like it might be more than just the 'scene light object' issue. Can you try going to the Tenkoku 'configuration' tab and trying the 'Allow multi-lighting' option? If that doesn't help, then it possibly might be an issue related to the rendering path in your scene, you can try switching between forward and deferred just as a test.

44. laurent-clave

laurent-clave

Hi Chingwa! When the new version with Surface / Underwater split view ? ;)

45. chingwa

chingwa

Hi laurent, unfortunately no, not yet. I had made some progress on this at the end of last year, but it turns out the way I was going about it wasn't working for the entire system so I had to remove it for now. I'll circle back on this at some point as it's a feature I'd really like to add.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  46. aceaspadesblack

aceaspadesblack

Hey Chingwa! I've checked out other responses to this issue that I am having, but there doesn't seem to be any description even close to my particular problem.

I have the HTC Vive headset running in Unity and the Suimono Water System 2.1 will not show up. There is literally nothing, except brown in all directions. I am getting a funny lens glare sort of effect that changes with the motion of my head.

I've played around with every setting, removed every component, but nothing seems to be working. I do recall some mention of a discrepancy between Suimono Updates and HMD Updates, so I'll be looking into that, but what is strange is that there's literally nothing showing up when the headset is the only camera in the scene (besides the Suimono cameras, of course, but I've tried disabling every one of those as well).

In the images, the viewport window is reversed from what is seen inside the headset; that happens in some projects.

Screenshot (1).png Screenshot (2).png Screenshot (3).png Screenshot (4).png

47. aceaspadesblack

aceaspadesblack

And in response to the previous entry about my ships falling through the water when in view of a camera, that still happens at strange times! I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet...

48. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hello there,

So the suimono water edge foam does not show...

sometimes it does then, it just stops showing

also i am not talking about the shoreline

49. Crossway

Crossway

Looks really nice, but I have an issue.

I add an ocean to my map with a terrain but it looks like below pic from far distance and flickering fast and badly.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  50. chingwa

chingwa

@aceaspadesblack That's really strange... never seen the water just disappear before. Is the only difference between the bottom image (w/water) and the top images the removal of the SteamVR object? Are you 100% sure the SteamVR cameras are rendering the Suimono_Water layer? The ships falling through the water are most likely due to the 'activation' range on the buoyancy object. This setting turns off buoyancy when it get's x meters away from the camera to save on performance for objects that might not need it. Try raising this to be much higher than the default.

@AlteredPlanet I got your emails and will see if I can help through there.

@Crossway This looks like it might be an issue where your terrain resolution isn't high enough for the space it takes up in your scene? Does it matter if you're close to the water versus far away?