Search Unity

Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Contort, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Contort

Contort

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted some help and/or suggestions on making games and such; basically like many others I have ideas for games that I would love to see come to life. Ideas ranging from story, game play mechanics, decisions, art and more, yet like many others I also lack the skills and equipment. So Im wondering if there is a way I can bring my ideas to life?, like working with a team of people to make something great!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Welcome!

That is one of the big challenges. Everyone starts with ideas they want build. Trying to find others to team up and help is challenging, because others in the same boat have their own games they want to build. Your best bet is start learning how to build it yourself, and build up a skill set you can offer a team. You can also help other teams while you are building your skills. It will help you build connections as well. Skill trades work great.

The simple reality is that if you want to build a game, you have a lot of learning and work ahead of you. It is certainly worth it, but it takes time and effort. Ideas, by themselves, have no value at all, and everyone has tons of them. Their value comes from realization and execution. Start building small games to learn, the community here is very helpful if you are serious about learning. After time you'll be on to building much bigger games.

Good luck!
    ZG

holliebuckets and McMayhem like this.
  3. Contort

Contort

That is very insightful ZG, thank you. I do want to build up my skills and connections. Is there any particular way to start that I would learn a lot from with even the limitations of equipment and budget?

4. McMayhem

McMayhem

Some sage wisdom right there.

Not much to add really except to answer your second question. The way to start is by getting your hands on Unity and getting acquainted with the layout/interface. As for where to build connections, this would be a great place to start. There are a lot of helpful people around here who are willing to share advice as well as help you with specific issues you're having. Making connections here is a great way to network. You might also want to look into any local Unity groups in your area and see about joining.

There are some other forums centered around indie development as well, such as TIGSource and Gamasutra. Ask lots of questions, that will have the benefit of both giving you knowledge that you need and getting your name out there as a developer.

Starting small is always a good idea, and it's something I really wish I did when I started. Keep those big ideas in your back pocket for when you're really ready to get started on them, and just stick to easy games at first. There are thousands of tutorials, both video and written that can help you learn the basics.

Either way, you've come to the right place. Welcome!

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  5. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Hi! :D and Welcome!! I'm going to move your thread over to the "Getting Started" section. There are some pretty insightful things in there that may be able to answer your questions :D Two things I would highly suggest checking out are the ExtraCredits Making Your First Game and a website titled Pixel Prospector :D Best of luck with your endeavors!

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. Contort

Contort

Thank you
    Thanks for the info, it will help!

7. Contort

Contort

Thanks HB I'll ll make sure to check them both out!

holliebuckets likes this.
  8. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Also, since nobody else has pointed it out yet, be sure to start at http://unity3d.com/learn. There are a ton of great tutorials there to get you up and running quickly.

(And when you do those, be sure to actually do them... pause frequently and reproduce what you just saw on your own machine. This is far more effective than merely watching them.)

Good luck,
    - Joe

9. Contort

Contort

That's a good idea Joe I'll do that, but what are the requirements to run Unity? I'm afraid my laptop wont be strong enough to run it?

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

11. Contort

Contort

Thats good to hear thanks for the reassurance Ryiah