Search Unity

Suggestions to improve unity learn website

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Unity-Student0, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

I have tried searching for comprehensive tutorials where I am able to apply what I learn and ultimately, be able to create my own game. I filtered out the Unity learn into 2D, touch screen & mobile, and games. I must comment that I find the number of tutorials really very limited. I was forced to use google to search for other learning materials. I am quite unhappy about this.

I wish to comment that the website should start by using built-in tools as much as possible. The reason is simple: anyone who knows Unity well enough should know & agree that not all imported tools are available for free. I am inserting a simple modified picture of the learn unity website menu which I hope can be programmed to improve it's quality. I have thought carefully and my ideas are in the screenshot. If you see it, you would notice this can be done without disturbing or changing the existing structure. I hope others are willing to agree and show support by liking this thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @Unity-Student0,

Do you mean that some of the tools used by the tutorials are not free to use?

If that's the case, would you mind tell us which tools?

Thank you!

3. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Diego,
    You have to search by price in the Asset store. I cannot categorize them as I don't know how they are organized.

4. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

5. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

No. All are free. However, I find that they are not comprehensive enough.

6. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

From my understanding, all the Unity's official tutorials are using the built-in functionality (included on the Unity engine or in one of the complementary packages).

Taking this into account, what you want is to have a differentiation between the tutorials that have a lower amount of graphics with the ones that use a lot of graphics?

7. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

Diego,
    You don't need to ask too many questions and clarify too many items. Try to think of this from a complete beginner's point of view. The more tutorials the team can give, the better our understanding is on the basic level and it increases our understanding so we can write our own app. It's as simple as that.

If they create a tutorial where the app can only work because it makes use of an imported person, we are forced to write our own using this person. Your common sense should tell you what can happen if the company or the team suddenly decides to impose charges and the person animation is no longer available for free. To worsen the situation, it's not as if you all don't know that the Unity version keeps changing and updates very quickly. So in summary, try to use as little imported tools as possible. At current time, the only comprehensive tutorial I've really seen using only built-in tools is the Roll-A-Ball tutorial. But that's the only one. Ask them to put more.

I just found another tutorial with a google search and it's quite comprehensive. There's also lots of good explanation for beginners and lots of good reviews - is > 1 million reviews enough for you all? I don't see this kind of detailed explanation in the unity learn forum. All I see is lots of 5-10 min videos compared to this. To worsen the case, this tutorial is a series, not a simple one only tutorial like what I see in the unity learn website. So my question is "Can your team improve and do better?"

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  8. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

@Unity-Student0,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

I just wanted to understand better your needs, that's why I'm asking you such types of questions.

Unity's official tutorials' purpose is for you to understand better the process of creating games and apps.

For that reason, the assets (like an "imported person" as you mentioned for example) are used inside of the tutorials as placeholders to explain some other concepts that are not directly related to the mentioned assets.

Such assets are not supposed to be used in a final product.

On the other hand, if what you want is to have more comprehensive tutorials it's a perfectly valid request.

9. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

OK. In that case, they can start by enhancing the existing tutorials by inserting multiple levels. Since Roll-A-Ball is one of the good 3D ones, my wish is for them to enhance this first. I am also inserting an attachment from one of the participants who modified the game to make it look funny or interesting. See the screenshot i selected. Please don't ask me if this person is familiar with Unity or if he is an experienced programmer because they are not relevant points. The point is the game looks better or nicer with the enhancement. So now, I'm waiting to see what kind of enhancements the Unity learn team can give. You can consider that part 2 of the tutorial.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    DiegoDePalacio likes this.
  10. Unity-Student0

Unity-Student0

This last part is what the unity learn team should always do so that anyone else looks forward to the website to learn more. In my case, I find too little comprehensive items to bother checking further. I'm currently on yet another tutorial on external websites. External means not related to unity learn website.

I'm planning to start yet another thread which gives other ideas on how unity learn website can be improved further. But before I do, I need to ask this important question: Have they agreed, approved and are able to enhance tutorials like Roll-A-Ball as mentioned earlier? Or would I have to wait until year end or even next year before I can find anything? Can you update me first? I don't want to spend time elaborating everything then they decide not to approve maybe because it's somehow not popular enough or the team feels they spend too much time and achieve too little.