Search Unity

Feedback Suggestions to Improve the Package Manager

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Beef331, May 3, 2020.

1. Beef331

Beef331

The main complaints of the UPM I currently have are as follows:
    • To use any non Official Unity packages it requires manually adding registries or packages

• It requires manually checking if official packages can be updated, and git packages require even more manual work either re-adding the git repo or modifying the manifest.

• Lacks any global packages that users may use in all projects like debug tools and the like.
    My proposed solutions to these problems are:
    • Have an Official Package Repository that developers can submit packages to, the packages would be the same git repositories as they are now, just that they now are in the Official Unity registry that does not require any tedious work to find any packages. Any non-official package should be marked as such with a suggestion to view the source before adding. Allowing users to quickly add packages and to search for packages they may need or want without any hassles.

• Implement a notification that notifies users of a package update. If the user chooses to upgrade and the project is an intialized git repository with unstaged changes, the UPM should prompt the user to manage their commits and then update. This removes users having to open up the UPM every so often to check for updates, making the experience much smoother. Also it ensures users always have a way back before updating.

• Packages should be markable as global, which adds them to an UPM global manifest that fetches them on creation of new projects to reduce the time to start on any project. The global manifest would be a list of packages the user would like to include on creation of projects, this could be stored locally or on the user's Unity account. This would be configurable from inside projects UPM and from the Unity Hub, enabling users to have a super portable environment.

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hi Beef,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies for the delay in response.

I've reached out to the team internally regarding this feedback and they've advised me to let you know to stay tuned, as some of these solutions are ones they are discussing internally to hopefully address. Once the team has more information to share, they will be sure to let you know.