Search Unity

Suggestions/requests

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by ZenFri, Mar 13, 2015.

1. ZenFri

ZenFri

First off, Unity Analytics is already really useful, and is super-easy to use!

I've got a few suggestions after having used it for a few weeks:

• when I click on Sessions, and then scroll down to Total Daily Play Time, it would be much nicer to see the numbers in hours and days, not in seconds (I can do the math, but it seems like hours and days would be more useful in almost all cases). Or offering an option to change this would be great.
    • I have several custom events, and have saved custom reports for several of them, but this is time consuming to set up. In the past I have used Flox Analytics http://gamua.com/flox/ extensively for several projects, and it handles everything in a really nice way. Flox automatically recognizes all custom events that are logged, and creates visualization for them. Here's an example (note that these were created for me simply by logging the events with the given name in Flox, that's all I had to do. The charts on the right support mousing over, and represent the current period of time, which is set to 7 days for this screenshot, but can easily be changed on any Flox page):
    • If I click on one of those custom events, it takes me to more details, that look like this:
    Keep up the great work, looking forward to seeing more features in Unity Analytics (especially string visualization for custom events!). :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi ZenFri!

Your first bullet point is a very sensible idea and pretty easy to implement. I've created a ticket and we'll try to handle it soon.

As to borrowing ideas from Flox (or any other package), we'll have to see what our UI/UX people say. What you show looks nice to me, and we're always looking for better/easier ways to visualize data. We're obviously not trying to deliberately lift anyone else's approach, but we can always learn from those who do it well. :)

Glad you're finding Unity Analytics useful. We're working hard to try and make it even better!

(BTW, as an old Flash-head, I have a lot of respect for the Gamua guys who make Flox. I was a huge fan of and occasional minor contributor to Starling.)

3. ZenFri

ZenFri

Thanks for the quick reply marc!

For sure, I didn't mean to imply that Unity Analytics should do exactly what Flox is doing - I just really found it useful and convenient that they automatically generate visualizations for custom events in an intuitive way. :)

I'm really enjoying how I can have one Unity Analytics project per game, and it automatically works and tracks data for all platforms, and allows me to see data for only one platform easily - great job on that! Or being able to see a particular event and compare iOS to Android to PC, etc. on the same chart, which is super helpful.

Cool to hear that you were a Flash guy too - Starling is a great framework with a lot of great features. And I totally agree about Gamua and Flox - it's especially amazing when you realize that Flox was built by just two people, from what I understand.

Thanks again for making a great analytics service. Cheers!

marc_tanenbaum likes this.
  4. smithmj5

smithmj5

Similar to the play time request that ZenFri made, would it be possible to show the total for a given stat somewhere? For example, say I'm viewing Total Daily Play Time for the last 7 days, could the total for all 7 days be calculated and displayed?

I'm also really liking Unity Analytics - very simple and clean with regards to presentation, but also really useful!

5. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@smithmj5 I'll look into that and see what we can do!

6. B3aT

B3aT

I do not know how the SDK is handling now unique users, but we need a way to setup a unique identifier, all analytics SDK's have this functionality (ex see google analytics user ID). This way the DAU/MAU will be realistic.

Keep up the good job, there are tons of features missing, but the start is awesome.

7. idlemath

idlemath

I love how easy Unity Analytics was to integrate and how streamlined it is and I want to keep using it. However, I have run into some problems that make me rethink whether I should integrate someone else's analytics.

I added some custom events to track my tutorial funnel and my levels (to see where players are dropping off). I followed the recommended setup from the custom event integration documentation and I am running into some issues with data analysis.

As recommended, I created a single custom event for level up and I am passing the level number as a parameter. However, that parameter doesn't show up in the reporting dashboard, except for within the funnel builder. So, that's fine, I can deal with that, but even in the funnel analyzer, it is not displayed. But it does display the step number of the funnel. OK, I guess I can deal with that, but the step number is inconsistent between the graph, segment area and CSV export file. This is very confusing. :( See screenshots.

For my tutorial funnel, I think I will just move to 1 custom event per step because I don't have that many steps, but for level tracking, I will definitely start hitting the 50 max custom event limit.

To summarize my suggestions:
    1. Keep funnel steps display consistent across different visualization
    2. Add ability to show parameters within funnel visualization (or better yet, add the ability for sub-categories to custom events, that way the main event could be level up and the subcategory the level number)
    3. Add parameters to the CSV export files if they can't be added to the visualization, they should be added there
    4. Please add the ability to see individual custom events, or dump them to a CSV file. (Not mentioned above but mentioned in this thread.)
    Thanks for reading & hopefully taking into consideration! :)

8. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @idlemath,

So #1 is just a bug. Your first screenshot shows a list numbered from 0 instead of 1. All the others are consistent. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll create a ticket and get that fixed.

I'll add #2 to the wish list.

I'll see what we can do about #3. In some ways this might not be too hard to do...but it depends a bit on what you think "parameters" means. For numerical parameters, are we talking sums? Averages? What about for non-numerical parameters? I suppose we could include the funnel step definitions in the CSV output. That adds a little info, but also might not be what you're after.

#4 is a non-trivial feature. We've discussed this at some length and it's on the roadmap. No word yet on when that might become available.

Finally, I'd suggest you start sending your levels at strings, as "Level2" instead of as the number 2. While we are currently working on adding the ability to view "categorizable" parameters, we might ultimately determine what is categorizable based on parsing...so 2 or "2" might conceivably register as the same thing. If you want level to be treated as categorizable (i.e., something that you don't average or sum up), the value "Level2" is safer.

9. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@idlemath ... fix for #1 now in place. If you return to the funnels page, the indexes should all number from 1.

10. idlemath

idlemath

Woohoo! Thanks @marc_tanenbaum! You're right, it does show it starting from 1 instead of 0 now. Please pass my appreciation on to the team for fixing the bug so quickly. :D

For #3, since I am using level numbers as a parameter, I would love to have that included *somewhere* in the CSV output. The funnel step definitions would be fine, actually. It's not as big a deal for my level up funnel, but much more so for my tutorial funnel, where the steps aren't as linear and can't just be mapped to level numbers. So if the funnel definition was included in the CSV, then I could make sure I am doing the mapping correctly when doing my analysis.

Too bad for #4. Maybe scraping the Test Custom Event page is the way to go there? ;)

Ah, good to know about using strings instead of numbers for the parameters. May I suggest updating the Integration documentation to reflect this?
    Right now it reads:

you can create one 'LEVEL' custom event, with the level number attached as a parameter, e.g. "LEVELNUM=51"

which led me to pass the level number as an integer instead of a string.

11. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@idlemath OK. I've added a ticket for #3. It'll be up to my producer whether we go ahead with that.

Done!

Fair point. This is actually something that's very much in development as we speak, so the documents are a touch out-of-date on this point.

12. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@ZenFri ... your first bullet point (the suggestion to display Seconds in days/hours/minutes/seconds) is now live. Thanks for the suggestion!

13. ZenFri

ZenFri

Awesome, thanks! That's much easier to read, and more useful. :)

I noticed one small bug with the data explorer:
    - if you go to Data Explorer, then view a custom event, where it shows all of the different parameters at once on a chart...if I toggle off several of the parameters so that I'm only viewing the data I'm interested in, and then switch to a different value for sum/count/average, it resets the visibility and shows me all parameters again. It seems to remember the settings of which ones I have toggled for each of the three types (sum/count/average). I think it's a bug because if I toggle any of the parameters on or off when it's in this state, it correctly starts showing only the ones that are currently toggled on.

Example: I was viewing the sum, and was only viewing "pulsarsplaced", then switched to average and I get this:

If I toggle any of the parameters on/off, it will update the view and correct itself.

14. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@ZenFri ... any interest in joining our team as a QA? ;) OK. Opened a new ticket for that one too.

15. idlemath

idlemath

Sorry to add more to your to-do list, but I have another suggestion / feature request:

For the Funnel Analyzer, it would be really useful to be able to select a time frame to be looking at (just like you can do in the Data Explorer portion of the dashboard...) Right now, if I make any changes to the funnel (like modify the tutorial to improve conversion rates or make a level easier to lessen drop off) and want to see if those changes were effective, I have no way to do that because I can't see what the funnel conversions looked like before my change and what it looked like after.

16. sschan

sschan

Hi @idlemath - Thanks for the suggestion. We'll add it to our request list. In the meantime, the workaround is to create a new funnel for when you make that change in the game. From there you can compare the two funnels. Not perfect we realize. :(

17. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@idlemath It's also worth pointing out that this is a trickier problem than it appears at first glance. When you alter the start date of a funnel, you're actually comparing apples to oranges (or at least pippins to braeburns), since there may be people inside the funnel at the revised start date. The result can be that your numbers look very screwy, with more people leaving the funnel than entering it. So the limitation in this case is as much about our concern that users might have trouble understanding the results as it is any technical limitation.

18. idlemath

idlemath

@marc_tanenbaum Hmm... that's fair enough. In that case, @sschan's solution is actually not a bad one, but I'll then ask for another feature (I know, it never stops!) ;-)

It would be super useful to be able to copy an existing funnel to then be able to use that as the basis for the new funnel. For my level funnel, I am going to have a lot of events and I don't want to manually have to re-create the funnel every time I adjust the difficulty of a level or reorder some levels. I know I could edit the existing funnel, but I don't want to lose the existing data, since I want to be able to compare both funnels and see if my changes improved the conversion rates.

19. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@idlemath Believe it or not, we've already discussed that feature. :) It's somewhere on the roadmap, but probably taking a back seat for now to more fundamental requests (like supporting string-based data!). I'll make sure your request gets recorded, though.

20. idlemath

idlemath

Thanks for being so responsive, @marc_tanenbaum, I very much appreciate that. And I totally believe you, by the way. I would be surprised if you hadn't discussed 80% of requested features. :)

Speaking of things you might have already discussed: do you have any plans to increase the limit on the number of custom events? Right now it's 50, which is, well, limiting.

21. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Thanks. :) We're still in our infancy...but we hope ultimately to bring you the easiest, most powerful set of tools in the games industry.

As I think you know, there are two custom event limits:
    1. 50 distinct custom event types, and
    2. 100 custom events/user/hour
    Both of those numbers are a bit arbitrary. We set them to make sure our servers aren't overwhelmed. There's a significant chance that we'll revisit those, or change how they're calculated. We are, after all, still in Beta. Stay tuned!

22. shamanq

shamanq

Hi,

Is it possible to show custom event values in funnel view?

For example, i have an event called TutorialStepChanged and i have step data in it:

ss1.JPG
    Since Funnel shows only custom event name, it makes really hard to read it:

ss2.JPG

I have 15 tutorial steps and i don't want to create separate custom events for each.

Thanks

23. angeloferro

angeloferro

Thanks for the suggestion @shamanq - we'll add it to our feature request list :)

24. davidosullivan

davidosullivan

When you press 'Pause' in the editor, clicking 'Play' again should make the scene continue playing- not stop!

The number of times I have spent ages tweaking things when I have paused a scene, only to press 'Play' again and have it all lost (because it actually stops) is approaching infinite, and the annoyance pretty much the same.

The very least you could do is swap the 'Play' Icon for a 'Stop' icon when the scene is actually *playing*- that way you might at least be given some indication that clicking that button will make the scene 'Stop'

25. unityguest2018

unityguest2018

It would be a more immersive experience if the Unity engine included an acoustic sub-engine that included the input audio of the microphone to receive acoustic feedback information through the headphones that run dynamically according to the 3D scene. The feedback of your voice changging depending on the environment of the character, a room, a bathroom, a hall, a car cabin, a forest... and also for the audio from the other players if their characters are near in the 3d scene

26. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

@unityguest2018 This particular forum is for Analytics-related questions, comments and suggestions. With that said, Unity VR has the functionality you are looking for, I might suggest posting in the VR/AR forum for more details.