Search Unity

[Suggestions] Reading Unity Manual Docs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by iSmart, Aug 1, 2015.

1. iSmart

iSmart

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how someone who is expert in Unity Engine is reading he manual docs of unity3d. I mean do you read it from A to Z (Like you are reading a book from the cover page to the end). Or you just come back to the docs when you face some problems while creating a game?

Do you recommended to read the whole Unity docs to get a better understanding of the engine? or referring to it if i stuck with something?

Thanks

2. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

Typically it's just whatever is relevant. It's a good idea to know what the topics are, but unless it's something you are currently working on, it won't serve much of a point to read something you aren't interested in/don't need to know at the moment. I'm sure there are some pages that contain some generally worthwhile information, but that's not most of them.

landon912 likes this.
  3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

When I learn a new API, I read through the whole thing. Not to memorize it, but get familiar with it. So when I am actually using it, I will remember that I saw something that applies and then look it up.

alikhanmyrzagali and Kiwasi like this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This. Scan the whole thing. Get a feel for the features. But without trying to understand anything aside from the basics.

That way when you go "How do I do xxx?" You can at least have a vague recollection that there was a page somewhere.

An alternative approach popular with young users is to not read it at all. You can then post questions every time you get lost and have helpful forum members direct you to the exact page on the docs you need. Apparently under this system actually reading that page is optional. ;)

zombiegorilla likes this.
  5. iSmart

iSmart

Your logic seems right. Before a month i read the whole Google Maps API documentation to get familiar of what features i can apply to my project. I guess I'll do the same with Unity API.

I'll do a scan for the docs. Thanks