Search Unity

Suggestions for my short horror project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrailerBlazerGames, Mar 17, 2014.

1. TrailerBlazerGames

TrailerBlazerGames

Hey guys.
    I am a beginner in Unity3d and my first game is a horror. I don't need help with the story line, as I have that sorted out. I do need suggestions for the scare factor. While it is very psychological based there is going to be a monster or two. Do you guys enjoy jump scares or atmospherics chills? Chase scenes or puzzle solving? Should the atmosphere mainly focus on the mind trip aspect or be based on the horror and monsters? It would be much appreciated if you guys gave suggestions.
    Thanks!
    -Sam:D

2. Meltdown

Meltdown

Fear of the unknown and small weird looking children freak me out!

3. orbobservation

orbobservation

Build up multiple moments where you think there's going to be something attacking but there's nothing, have random audio clips playing around a random moving track around the game world (knocks, rustling leaves, whimpers, footsteps), the true horror is what you cannot see and I feel that's where most horror projects go wrong these days.

4. Kinos141

Kinos141

ATMOSPHERE!!! Jump scares are lame. Make the monster be visible to the player. I think it's scarier to have a monster that you can see, but not do anything about. However, don't make it impossible to survive if you are seen. I had an idea expanded off of Outlast, where the player can dodge and run away from the threat, but the threat gets smarter can cuts off they player next time, a la Mr. Freeze, Arkham City.

5. orbobservation

orbobservation

I'm not into jump scares at all, but I think there's alot to fear of the unknown- show the enemy too soon and I usually feel an anti-climax. There's no definitive horror game for we are all into different styles. I'd say it's good to build the isolation and atmosphere up, step up the impending doom whilst building up a back story, then have the horror reveal itself- but always keep an air of mystery- people usually go 'Oh, is that it?' to most reveals. The same kind of deal with magic tricks I guess.

6. Kinos141

Kinos141

Honestly, make a test game with no monster. Just have the atmosphere freak people out; kinda like a mind screw where it's the player's own mind that freaks them out, nothing else. That would be an interesting experiment. :D

7. TrailerBlazerGames

TrailerBlazerGames

Wow! Great suggestions you guys, so many nice ideas. I'm going to try to let all you guys enjoy it, sadly I can't create everything you guys would enjoy. After all, TrailerBlazer is a one-man team at the moment. I agree with you, I assure you there will little to no jump-scares. I can't reveal too much at the moment, but it will be very psychological and atmospheric. I will hopefully post more info on the forums by around April (if I can get more progress out by then). Once again, thanks!
    -Sam:D

8. orbobservation

orbobservation

Good luck with it Sam!

9. TrailerBlazerGames

TrailerBlazerGames

Thanks!
    Just because it's short don't count on getting your hands on it soon. I'm going to try my best to make it as creepy and disturb as possible! :)

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

It should take place underwater.

11. TrailerBlazerGames

TrailerBlazerGames

Sorry mate, I don't think the storyline would work well underwater. Really cool idea, though.
    I really look forward for a genuine horror game that takes place underwater as well ;)

12. robhuhn

robhuhn

Here is a short horror film with nice scary elements e.g. shadow where no physical body is, weird looking child (@Meltdown), sound of course, ...
    I think that could point you to a direction: http://mashable.com/2014/03/18/short-horror-film/

13. TrailerBlazerGames

TrailerBlazerGames

Hmm...pretty creepy. I really enjoy it, almost like the Blair Witch Project (as in never seeing The Witch).
    I don't think I am going to go for a survival horror game or anything, that will wait. So indeed, there will be more of an ominous tone: psychological fear factor, ambient whispering and foot steps, strange and eerie atmosphere, etc. Please, keep in mind this is a small, unity project (made by just me, also my first game), so it's not going to be the next Amnesia or Silent Hill or Outlast. Just a short project.
    Nontheless, I want to put %110 in this and leave people creeped out and thinking of what happened. I really appreciate all this support in a random indie game that hasn't even been fully announced yet. Unity just has an awesome community, I guess :)
    Welp, that's all for now. See ya, guys!
    -Sam