Search Unity

Suggestions for gloves bending with hand model?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by mcackerm, Jun 18, 2019.

1. mcackerm

mcackerm

TL : DR: How to have a glove model change with the default hand's skeleton when animations play?

So I'm very new to the VR, and game development for that matter, however my question is this.

Can someone suggest a way to have different glove models that are independent of the hand model bend when the hand model changes animations? (IE Flat when hand is flat, and curl when the hand grabs something)

The goal I'm trying to achieve is having multiple gloves that have very different models outside of the general hand shape. The default/naked hand model would have the gloves be placed over top of it, and the animations would effect the glove models when they change for the default/naked hand. I hope I explained this well enough, I'm not too keen on the terminology yet.

Thank you for your time!

PS: Would this method I found below be the best/correct way to achieve the desired effect?

https://answers.unity.com/questions/44355/shared-skeleton-and-animation-state.html

2. mcackerm

mcackerm

I should note, I'm not looking to have each glove use it's own animations but rather use the animations already made for the default hand. I'm not an animator and doing so would increase my project's workload to a point I'm not sure I'm prepared for.