Search Unity

Suggestions for Changes to User Reporting SDK

Discussion in 'Unity Cloud Diagnostics' started by skydestinies, Jan 10, 2019.

1. skydestinies

skydestinies

Hello,
    The existing User Reporting SDK does an update call in UserReportingScript which enables and disables the canvas for the Submission popup UI.
    I think this should be changed to setting the gameobjects to active or inactive to those canvases. This is because the submission reports have an input field that can still somehow become in focus even if the canvas does not render. My game disables in-game keyboard shortcuts while an input field is in focus to prevent the camera from moving or hotkeys triggering while someone is typing text. The input fields in the user reporting should not be considered active if the submission popup isn't up.

Also, does the updater start a coroutine every update? What work does the this.StartCoroutine(this.unityUserReportingUpdater);
    do? Is this how the crash reporting works? Otherwise, this seems inefficient if there's no bug reports being made or sent ...

Thank you,
    Yang Shan

2. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the input on the prefab. I've made a note for future updates. This prefab is provided as a sample. Please feel free to make any necessary changes for your game.

Regarding the coroutine, the User Reporting client needs to do a little work on every frame in order to gather all the data needed for a user report. This coroutine simply calls update methods on the User Reporting client at the appropriate times during the current frame. The overhead of the coroutine is minimal. The overhead of the User Reporting client is very low, especially if metrics are disabled.

3. skydestinies

skydestinies

Thank you for the response! Yes, I have been updating it for my needs. I appreciate the work you all have done with the bug reporter. It came out as beta when I was struggling to figure out how I would make my own, so it's been a major time saver for me. So thank you!

4. bretth_unity

bretth_unity

Unity Technologies

That's good to hear! :)