Search Unity

Suggestions for a Highway map?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by black_sheep, Nov 30, 2017.

1. black_sheep

black_sheep

I'm going to make a level that takes place on a suspended Viaduct/Highway. The game is an FPS, wave based, the objective is to kill every enemy until the final wave (and not die of course)

What i had in mind is kinda like the place from "Captain America 2"s highway scene, or the place where "The Avengers" assemble. The one's i found on Google Images were mostly from racing games, or from those big highways 100m above the ground without any buildings around. Didn't fit my style and i think they would be too big for the level and for me to do (i'm working alone)

I thought about asking for advice. What you think the map should have, or where it should be, the style of it, on even some place where i could get inspiration from?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

First I want to compliment you for going to Google Images. Building a library of reference material is an important early step. People too often skip this step, and it's a shame because it's such a useful free resource.

What's the overall setting and theme of the game?
    What's the purpose of the level?
    Why is the player there?
    Are there any gameplay challenges such as moving vehicles that will be integral to the level design?

Teila and black_sheep like this.
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Ok, last post and then I swear I'll stop procrastinating.....

When I think of highway/road maps, I think of frogger type gameplay. What I mean is, you are pretty confined so your movement in a gun battle is a fast paced series of dashes from cover to cover. Mainly cars. Left right, forward back. You aren't going to be flanking or making any big movements. Kind of like the old asteroid shooter games. And that is especially relevant since you have said that you will be fighting hordes, so the map design is already a good, classic one for "crowd control" gameplay.

A modern game that has lots of enclosed highways and interesting gameplay because of them is Dying Light. You leap around on top of cars like a kid playing don't touch the lava. Lots of fun.

Hope this helps.

black_sheep likes this.
  4. black_sheep

black_sheep

The idea is that the enemies are ISIS terrorists, so this level takes place in a city (highway or viaduct, but still, in a city), because terrorists are supposed to go there to "cause their terror". There is also a level on Syria, because that's where ISIS is from.

I thought about some challenges mid-hordes, like defending something or whatever, but haven't made anything yet. Maybe cause i focused too much on the "kill them all" part.

About the layout, i too thought the game would be this "frogger" like gameplay that BigTimeMaster described. I made the highway with 6 lanes. I though 4 lanes would be too small. There will be many cars to be used as cover. Some buildings will be connected to the viaduct so enemies can flank a little bit, but still the player won't be going to the ground (under the viaduct)

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

I think @BIGTIMEMASTER is your man for advice on this.

My last bit of advice is to make every level like a little story. Set it up so that, for example, there's a short bit of action right away, then some positioning, then tougher action, more positioning, and then a big battle at the end. Use the content of the level (cars, viaduct, etc.) to stage the bits of action.

black_sheep and EternalAmbiguity like this.
  6. fetish

fetish

Check out Seattle's Alaska Way Viaduct / Rt 99 through the Downtown area. It's right up against the buildings on one side, overlooks the puget sound on the other. Very scenic vista.

black_sheep likes this.