Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Suggestions and requests for camera stacking

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Oxeren, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Oxeren

Oxeren

So I've been using camera stacking for some time. I really like the idea, and combined with scriptable renderer features I've been enjoying the power and flexibility of URP. Here are some requests and suggestions that I've came up with after my experiences.

It would be nice to have more control over overlay cameras:
    • It's great that shadows can be enabled per camera, but having the ability to override pipeline settings like cascades and shadow distance per camera would be very useful in certain cases.
    • Anti-aliasing settings per camera. As I see in frame debugger, AA is run for every camera, but in some cases it may not be necessary and AA can be run only on, say, the overlay camera.
    • Render scale per camera. For example for cases where camera that renders blurred backround is rendered in half resolution.
    • An ability to disable depth rendering for cameras that render stuff like UI, though I'm not sure if it's possible or how big of a performance boost it would be.

I realize some of these can be achieved by rendering base camera to a RenderTexture instead of stacking, but it won't work for cases where, for example, depth from base camera is needed in overlay camera.

In my particular case I've been using two cameras with the same position/rotation/FOV that have different clipping planes, so base camera renders background, and overlay camera renders foreground. In addition to some of the above suggestions, could it be possible to reuse shadow map for both cameras? It works fine as it is, but it seems skipping a whole shadow pass could be very beneficial. There are also some issues with shadow clipping in cameras with short draw distance, even if shadow distance is big.