Search Unity

Suggestions about Unity New Versions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aadil50, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Literally laughed out loud at this. Brilliant.

I've now changed my mind on this issue. All stable releases should be labelled as Milky Way. All beta releases should be labelled after nearby objects in the local cluster that we will be swallowing up soon.

Antypodish and Ryiah like this.
  2. Player7

Player7

I was quiet happy with the previous Unity versioning system.. ie 5.0, 5.1.1 etc, 5.6... don't think they made it to 5.7 before going to Unity 2017...

Still yearly based versioning is fine and works having multiple feature releases like 2019.1, 2019.2 2019.4 lts etc you adjust to the naming convention and expectations set by previous release.. ie 2019.3 will include one major feature that should have been released early in the year, but instead they only managed to sort of finish it for <currentYear>.3 release. And not learning from previous years mistakes.. where said unfinished/semi broken feature ended up in going into <currentYear>.4 lts edition.. maybe they might in future hold back said major feature that effects large areas of the product for the <nextYear>.1 release ..I believe one of this years major feature that effects everything is the ugly trainwreck flat style gui update...jeez I wish that was pushed back into 2020.1 hindsight edition (where unity find better gui/ux designers) and I can carry on using 2019.4lts

Anyway my other gripe with yearly based releases, is the industry wide move to pull on your wallet every year just for the sake a new version that is based on that years release... maybe not all the features got finished and much of it is still work in progress... gone are the days when a major release had been worked on for 12-24months etc and then it was a big release with complete features.. now its yearly and ongoing incompleteness and now even asset store developers jumping onto it because they have to update code changes inline with the very people behind the product constantly changes things over the year for 3 semi major incomplete releases.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

We seem to have very different memories of the release of Unity 5.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. Player7

Player7

Well I wasn't referring to Unity specifically on there 5.x releases being made every 12-24months I know they weren't. So you just assumed on that.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

What I'm saying is that Unity doesn't have a history of producing stable feature complete releases every 12-24 months, even when they were doing major releases every 12-24 months.

You and the OP are basically chasing a mythical version of Unity Technologies that hasn't existed for a long time (maybe at all, I started mid way through the 4.x cycle).

ShilohGames and Ryiah like this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

I started back in 3.x and it was the same back then.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

This. Unity 5 wasn't terribly stable till the end of it's release cycle. :p

Kiwasi and ShilohGames like this.